Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Done with gas, looking to get an everyday grill...seeking advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I have a couple at 14", a couple at 18", a couple at 22", and a 26". Plus an XL kamado and a few gas grills too.

Comment

Thanks again everyone for the great advice! I'm looking forward to learning the new grill.

Comment

I have an XL BGE and love it, it's very versatile and I love the flavor of the food the comes off it. But, it does burn thru lump. with both boys in college, I was looking for something a little smaller(for making meals for the wife and I) and more portable (Tailgates, Steak Cook Offs etc).

I wound up with an Original PK Grill with the TX stand. I'm really enjoying the PK and it gets about 50% of the cooks, likely more once the boys go back to school. I like the fact that it is cast aluminium and won't rust like the Kettles eventually do.

Comment

Adding a SnS from https://snsgrills.com/ will up your kettle game considerably. Also, when you get to playing with it more, look into getting a Vortex for it. Vortex and chicken wings are a killer combo.

Kettles are great BBQ toys.

Kathryn

Comment

I know you already ordered your kettle, but I would have recommended the SnS kettle they just came out with. I have Weber kettles with fan mods I absolutely love. So I don't need another kettle. However, it appears SnS really refined the kettle and made it so it's all ready for modding.

Comment

I started my really serious grilling career on a 22" Weber Kettle. With all of the accessories that are available these days, it's a very versatile grill. I recently gave my Kettle to my son but I still have two Performers and one NIB Mastertouch. I have the SnS and Vortex for mine and the Vortex/Kettle combo is the only way I cook wings these days even though I have quite a few other cookers I can use.

Comment

If you are using lump in the egg (and I presume you are) lump varies a lot brand to brand (and not all brands are consistent batch to batch. Go to the naked wiz site and experiment with different brands.

Look at the reviews as well as the user ratings.

Comment

Funny, I just went and bought another gasser this weekend, but it was totally for the convenience cooks. Another accessory that is great for the kettle is the Vortex. It can be used for other things, but where it is about impossible to beat is chicken wings, legs and thighs. If you eat a fair amount of those, pretty hard to beat.

Become A Charcoal Pro Enhance your charcoal cooking experience! Whether you're looking for the perfect searing zone, high OR low indirect heat, or a charcoal bank deflector, let the Vortex do the work with 3 sizes to choose from.

Thanks for your service and congrats on the new grill. If you find any briquettes you like that aren’t Kingsford, please share. If looking for what to use after my Weber supply is gone. I don’t hate Kingsford, just really like the considerably less ash of Weber briqs.

Comment

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think B&B briquettes and charlogs should be your first stop.

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Or maybe try these Blackbear ones with me!

Also check out reducer rings. They are smaller fire rings that fit inside your grill making the fire grate area smaller so you use less charcoal.

Comment

Can’t go wrong with a Weber 22.

Comment

As many have said, you can't go wrong with a Weber 22, which is very true...but the 26 is better for me. I have both and cook on the 26 everyday for just the 2 of us. The 22 is reserved for smoking since it has the SnS.

Comment

I'm on a quest to cook nearly everything this year on a Weber 26" to prove, at least to myself, that it's the most versatile cooker on the plant. One note is that I do have fan control and operate all low and slow and smoking cooks using a Fireboard controller. For searing I use Grill Grates and for high temp I use either an SNS or a Vortex, depending on the application.

My only exception is I do use my Weber 22" when I use my Santa Maria attachment since I don't have one for the 26".

The only issue I've run across is the rest of my cookers are about to revolt. I over heard them whispering the other day and it made me nervous. But seriously, a decent pellet grill and/or a Weber kettle checks off the boxes on 95% of your grilling/smoking needs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here