Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our New Pride & Joy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never previous afore seen that model... It's Freakin Stupendous!!!!!

A perhaps crude visual assessment, please fergive my lack of comparative experience, an of eloquence, but it looks (to my dumb Hillbilly arse) kinda like a Hasty Bake on some Mega steroids!

I do find it interestin (but I'm quite strange) that LSG has been usin ADA restroom assist bars fer their cookers. Definitely sturdy stuff.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 9, 2020, 06:09 PM. Reason: Ficksed some punktiation. Sry.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      The Hasty-Bake Hastings has two fire boxes in the front, not sure if there is a wall in between. However, it is $5000, not $2700 .... like I said, this has my MCS tripped hard. Like ..... hmmmmm, if I can sell the Hasty-Bake for $xxx, how much cash do I have to come up with?

• AZ Fogey
      AZ Fogey commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper - Go for it. You won't regret it. It's just that good. If you have PayPal, you can take 6 months to pay for it, interest free. Makes it just a tiny bit less painful.

• 70monte
      70monte commented
      Editing a comment
      It also kind of looks like a bigger M1.

Congrats on that LSG. It sure looks sweet.

Kathryn

Comment

• AZ Fogey
      AZ Fogey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kathryn. Wouldn't it look great on your patio?

Mike

What Kathryn said. A new brand for me. I just enjoyed some of the videos. Makes me feel inadequate with my 22" Performer, but at least I now know where itsdaddy lives.

Comment

Great stuff, fun writeup to read. Would love to see more pics from you of this nice machine. (And welcome back, you came back just in time to not be marooned!)

Comment

• AZ Fogey
        AZ Fogey commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee - Thanks, and you're absolutely right about being marooned. If we'd waited until our originally scheduled trip home, we wouldn't have made it out of Thailand. I'll put up some more pit photos up this week.

That is a good looking piece of metal! And it is great to see a tool match its needs so perfectly!

Comment

@AZ Fogey, ya done good man, that thing is impressive for it's features. And your description of your thought processes that led to this choice is a good example of how experience informs our choices.

I have a similar configuration charcoal cooker (absent the center wall) and concur with your thoughts on using smaller chunks of flavor woods. Mine is also capable of using splits, but I've learned that I like a combination of lump and chunks to control the smoke flavor level. I recently did a boar piglet using the offset (fire on one side, meat on the opposite) configuration and it turned out great. Enjoy that beast. If I didn't have the one I have, I'd very likely order what you have for much the same reasons you enumerated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boar.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	843442

Comment

• wswilmoth
          wswilmoth commented
          Editing a comment
          Great to hear. I really like both grills. The grill will be on a covered rear lanai with a vent hood setup. No issues with keeping it out of the weather. I do like the all stainless look however. I don’t see that Cajun makes an additional rack to gain capacity. When smoking unless there is a heat deflector I haven’t seen it would appear you lose 1/2 of the grill surface on both although the LSG is quite a bit larger

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          On either, with the adjustable height there's little to no need for a deflector when smoking, just lower the fuel bin and use the vents to direct heat/smoke. As for "quite a bit larger" the net difference may be, at most, 6 inches on the main grate. The secondary grate would have to be a diy add on for the Preaux though. I personally don't find it of value, but others might.

• AZ Fogey
          AZ Fogey commented
          Editing a comment
          Because there's about a 50° difference between the lower and upper grates, I almost always cook chicken on the the upper. I also did a hot and fast brisket at 350° on the upper, right over the coals, and it came out great. I, too, was concerned with the lack of a heat deflector, but it really hasn't made any difference to us. It may, if you're planning on filling the pit with meat. If I'm cooking something at over 300° I'll almost always use the upper grate. Saves fuel.

Some of you folks have asked to see more detailed photos of the Lone Star Grillz Adjustable, so this morning I went out and took some pictures.

This was delivery day, March 13th, 2020.

Name:	20200313_130940.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	843651

Um, what do I do with this monster now?

Name:	20200313_131044.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	843653

Attached Files

Comment

Lone Star Grillz Adjustable Grill & Smoker in detail.

Full Frontal View

Name:	20200509_084415.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	843679
          Both fireboxes are open. The one on the left has the charcoal basket for long cooks, and the one on the right holds a full size aluminum food pan as a drip collector. Far left is the lift handle for the charcoal grate. There's one on the right side too but it's cut off in this photo.

VIEWS OF THE 14" x 14" x 8" CHARCOAL BASKET, ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT CHARCOAL GRATE, AND THE ASH PAN.

Name:	20200509_084422.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	843680

Name:	20200509_084527.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	843681

Name:	20200509_084544.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	843682

I thought the removable ash catcher on the Kamado Joe was terrific, but nothing gets by this ash pan. You just lift it out and dump the ash in your ash can, put it back under the charcoal grate, and you're done.

ADJUSTABLE CHARCOAL GRATE IN THE LOWEST POSITION

Name:	20200509_084648.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	843683

AND IN THE HIGHEST POSITION RIGHT UNDER THE GRILL GRATE.

Name:	20200509_084706.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	843684

UPPER SHELF

Name:	20200509_084718.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	843685
          On the far side of the shelf, you can still see the outline of the brisket that I cooked hot and fast at 350°, using the pit as a vertical smoker. It reminded me of cooking on the PBC as the fat dripped down directly on the coals.

INTAKE AND EXHAUST CONTROLS

Name:	20200509_084857.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	843686

Name:	20200509_084850.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	843687

A pair on the left side and a pair on the right. Opening an intake on one side and an exhaust on the other turns the pit into an offset smoker, and is, of course, ideal for 2-zone cooking.

TEMP CONTROL FAN PORT

Name:	20200509_084933.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	843688
          There's another on in the other firebox. These were an option.

8" SWIVELING LOCKABLE WHEELS

Name:	20200509_084957.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	843689
          This is a highly recommended option. This pit is a beast to move. The other 2 wheels are fixed.

If anyone has any other questions about this pit, or maybe you're agonizing over questions about what your purpose in life is, don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure if I was on purpose, could have been an accident!

• 70monte
            70monte commented
            Editing a comment
            Great looking pit and if I hadn't just bought an M1, I would seriously think of getting one of these. I like what I see. I did see some posts on another forum of some people who had these but they were the older models. It looks like there have been a lot of improvements from the earlier models.

• mbross
            mbross commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that you have more time with the Lone Star, what are your current thoughts? Is it still your go to any new insights? Thanks

Congrats, I'm totally delighted fer ya, an livin this from afar!!!
          I do fully realize that SmelloVision is perhaps in it's most Infantile stage, but I cain't rightly reckon that I can smell one whiff o hickory, or even mesquite, so far.

Lookin forward to yer posts, Brother!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            AZ Fogey Chilled legumes, Brother!
            I'll be taggin along, sniffin progress.

Thanks fer includin us in this, Good Sir

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            Chilled legumes? You crack me up brother, or should that be "you split my top surface"?

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Uncle Bob Many Thanks, glad ya enjoyed my vernacular; I do try to give, at least til it starts to hurtin me. lol!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 9, 2020, 09:26 PM.

Amazing pit. Time to start saving my money. I need one. Need? 🙄

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Need.

Man that is nice.

Comment

That is really a nice cooker. You will have many years of good food off that. Thanks for the tour.

Comment

• AZ Fogey
              AZ Fogey commented
              Editing a comment
              ofelles - Great avatar. Have to wonder how many of us on this forum are in the same boat. LOL.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I've tried to always maintain me a balance; in my opinion, one can smoke both, under Self-Imposed Regulations. AZ Fogey
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 9, 2020, 10:05 PM.

Very impressive. Happy days ahead. Congrats on the cooker and getting back JIT.

Comment

Welcome back and wow! Congrats!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                I suppose it not only cured his MCS, but also his trips to Thailand. Doesn't strike me as a carry on.....

Congratulations on your new pride and joy. It is definitely better than mine:

Name:	pride-and-joy.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	843882

But mine is easier to get into the house!

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Lmao!!

• AZ Fogey
                AZ Fogey commented
                Editing a comment
                ComfortablyNumb - Thanks for your truly funny comments. Your purpose in life must be to make people laugh. LOL. I love the way your mind works.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here