Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you burn a 'refill' chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What they said - I have a few pavers off the edge of my concrete, and light chimneys there if I need to.

I don't pre-light charcoal I add to the smokers though - I just add it to the firebox of the offset, or to the Slow N Sear, directly. I rake the burning coals to one side, then add fresh charcoal, so that it can burn back across the firebox or SNS, just like when I started it with the initial 12 briquettes.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same thing when adding to the SnS. My PartyQ takes it from there.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I don't usually pre-light either. I know some people think it can give off-tastes but I use a snake and some use the minion method I think it tastes fine.

I have a couple of leftover bricks from when my next door neighbor's house was build that do a fine job.

Comment

I use another cooker to hold the chimney. Of course, that’s only if I’m out of propane for my 500k btu weed burner, which is normally how I light everything.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m thinking I might pick up a Smokey Joe since it’s always windy here to knock down some of the breeze at least at the bottom. If I had a good spot or think of one, I might throw down a paver and put a couple upright on the windy sides.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Smokey Joe AND a 12"square paver. I like the way you think. More is more.

You may end up using that SJ for searing from time to time. It comes in handy.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here