Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just gave away a grill...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just gave away a grill...

So now I need a new one!
    I gave a friend, that desperately needed a grill, my Dyna-Glo Dual Zone.

With that, I'm looking for something with an adjustable coal rack, like the Dyna-Glo had, or adjustable grill rack.
    I could simply just get another one of those, but I'm open to suggestions.

I want it for Santa Maria style grilling...which is why it NEEDS to be adjustable. I don't care about ANYTHING else.
    My WSCG can handle all sorts of multi-zone, low-n-slow, "stoopid" hot things...but it doesn't have an adjustable grate or cook surface for live wood fires. Red oak in this case.

I'd LOVE a true Santa Maria grill...but living where I do, that could be a problem. The "river bed" is perpetually dry, and burning down the neighbourhood while I fix dinner might be considered rude. LOL So I NEED a lid for those days when the wind kicks up without notice.

Should I simply order another Dyna-Glo (which I have no idea of it's longevity because I only used it a few times) or go for something else?

Both pits and spits and pitmaker make adjustable charcoal rack grills. I have had both, both work well. The P&S had to have the grates replaced twice, but it got more use.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

That's very kind of you to help a friend out! I have no idea if the Napoleon Professional Charcoal would be suitable for logs, but has a couple cool features like the adjustable rack you are looking for and a charcoal infrared rotisserie burner. I was looking at it a bit for when shopping for my WSCG and decided it didn't look as good for regular low and slow. Maybe the MGrills M1 too? The Good One Open Range review mentions there is a model with an adjustable rack available too.
    Last edited by glitchy; December 23, 2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked at a Napoleon gasser a while back. Not that I "need" one seeing as my Summit Platinum is still trudging along. But MCS and all that. LOL
      I'll have a look. Thanks

As far as helping a friend. That's what friends do right? He's had a rough year...and needed a grill. Any grill. And I have several. But that was my "tri-tip cooker." LOL
      Last edited by surfdog; December 24, 2019, 05:07 PM.

Are you using wood or charcoal? I am wondering if the Hasty Bake would be an option. The grate doesn’t move but the charcoal cranks up and down to let you vary the distance.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably a combo...leaning slightly towards wood. The Hasty Bake certainly looks like an option...though I am a bit reluctant to spend a grand on what could essentially be a one trick pony. Not that IT is a one trick pony, but MY needs for it could make it so. (Still on the list though.)

I would seriously look at Arizona BBQ Outfitters. Given that you live in So Cal and want a Santa Maria with a lid I would give them a call. I have admired their builds from afar for a long time. I don’t know anyone who owns one but I can tell by the website that they are quality. I’m betting that you could get a custom build from them. They are a bit pricey.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll check 'em out thanks. Gotta see how pricey they are, given that I really only want it to do one thing.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      They are pricey. I might have a guy who can make something cheaper but he retired. He made my BBQ’s. He still does work but nothing gets done fast. If your are interested let me know. I may be able cajole him into making a couple of bucks.

I seem to remember someone having this and said it was well built, looks like you can put it on a number of things not just weber kettles, such as firepits and such

Gabbys Grill for your Weber

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      just realized you needed a lid so probably wont fit the bill

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, if I wasn't worried about burning down a neighbourhood, I'd go ahead and get a full on Santa Maria grill. But many people think it's in bad form to burn down houses whilst cooking dinner. LOL

Someone mentioned an M1 above. I’d love an M1 if I had the extra cash to have one. It does have adjustability and also allows for logs, so you can go low and slow or sear station with charcoal and adjust the height. On the high end but I’m not sure what the dyna grill runs. But this thing is awesome!

M Grills & Blazn Grill Works offers expertly crafted, American made grills and smokers manufactured in the USA. Our product line includes high-performance pellet, charcoal, and wood grills and smokers as well as competition and commercial grills made entirely in the United States.
    Last edited by barelfly; December 24, 2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah, that's a beauty. Just had look at the link...
      Yeah, quite a bit more spendy but may last forever... That said, low-n-slow I got covered.
      Price wise, the Dyna is "almost" disposable...in as much as it wouldn't hurt to replace every few years...though I'd rather not because A. that's a pain...and B. because if they drop it from the line I'm right back where I am now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	782592 Dave Klose makes some good grills with adjustable racks https://bbqpits.com/products-2/backyard-grills/
    I have his 20x42 Grill Chef Grill and love it. He offers optional SS racks that will last longer.
    Last edited by ofelles; December 24, 2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I live in So. Cal., just outside of Los Angeles and I can't think of anywhere around here where there is a river bed. Maybe your down towards San Diego.

I looked up the grill that you gave away. They're nice and I like that you can raise/lower the charcoal bed. Also not that expensive. I'd go with what you use to have. Nothing like familiarity when gilling/cooking your food.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, the LA river isn't real flammable. And yes, I spend my time between San Diego and Riverside. It's the Riverside house that I want to add the new grill. Where the GF currently lives...though she's looking to move south as well. But she's considering Temecula...which can be a bit dry as well.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      The LA river, the prettiest concrete bed in the land....lol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here