Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Masterbuilt Gravity Grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Masterbuilt Gravity Grill?

This looks like it was just announced today. A charcoal gravity grill that claims it gets to 700 degrees in 13 minutes. Looks like it has WiFi and capacity for 4 meat probes.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/collecti...l-grill-smoker

Looks very interesting...
    Last edited by glitchy; October 18, 2019, 03:09 PM.

For $500 it looks like a pretty neat smoker. If it works as advertised. I wonder if Max Good has checked them out yet.

Comment

I saw something about these earlier today. Looked like a very interesting concept. Can't wait to hear more about them.

Comment

Can it burn wood instead of briquettes?

Comment

Kind of makes sense. It’s like a pellet cooker that uses briquettes instead of pellets. There are other gravity fed systems but this one has a built in thermo control.

these folks came up with a thermostatic gas smoker, now this...

Comment

It looks interesting with some great features.

Comment

That’s really cool. How’s it so cheap though?

A PBC cost $300 a Weber performer premium is $400 and they built a thermostatically controlled gravity fed smoker with coated cast iron grates for $500?

Seriously, that’s suspiciously cheap.

The listed run time 12-15 hours on 16lbs of Kingsford, is probably a big clue on where they cut costs. A PBC runs for 12 hours on 8lbs of Kingsford without a fan, 15 +/- with. What’s this thing made out of, 16 gauge sheet metal and insulated with newspaper?

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
                TNPIGBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                @Dewesq55

So are Pit barrels & a lot of Weber’s. And Chinese manufacture only makes sense for volume. Which makes me strongly suspect their plan is to stick it out front at Lowe’s and accordingly it’s probably of comparable quality to the Char-broil’s and Oklahoma Joe’s already there. Or probably worse with the additional electronics and other elements.

Which I find disappointing because it’s really cool. And I think it would still sell like hotcakes at double the price.

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Not insulated so it will use more fuel. That may not be so bad. I find in winter I have better smoking results. My theory is that I get a hotter, cleaner fire at the same oven temp.

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                I couldn't agree more Polarbear777

Based on my experience with Masterbuilt, I'd hold off for awhile. I've encountered the issue of putting one of their smokers together and it's an unpleasant experience. That and the utter failure of the thermostat/temperature control of my 340G give me concern over buying from them again.

Comment

This one is interesting. I'm in touch with Masterbuilt to learn more.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can’t wait for the review.

These folks are being very innovative, Quality probably not great, but the price allows folks to get in the game with something potentially really cool.

Did you guys know that Masterbuilt is being run by the same CEO of Kamado Joe, Bobby Brennen? They are owned by the same Investment company...

Comment

• Max Good
                  Max Good commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dominus Capital bought Masterbuilt, KJ and Outdoor Leisure Products (Smoke Hollow) in one swoop.

Available now.

seems like a good concept. Probably not built for the long haul at that price but if I didn’t have plenty of other stuff...

Comment

well well well - that's a concept. But I always mix wood chunks with charcoal. As cool as this is, I ALWAYS mix. That seems a deal breaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beans 2.jpg
Views:	1940
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	768508
                  Last edited by JGo37; November 12, 2019, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    treesmacker They're standard cast iron, no brand, from Aldi's market. I've got around a dozen single serving pieces of different types from Aldi's, 3.99 - 4.99 each. Thanks - I like them too.

• treesmacker
                    treesmacker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Closest Aldi to me is 433 miles.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can mix with this

Curiosity got the better of me so I went out to Masterbuilt's link provided by glitchy above and I downloaded the user's manual. After reading through the assembly instructions and operating instructions, I can honestly say I am highly intrigued to see how this performs in the real world. Max Good I am looking forward to your review, if and when you are able to procure a model to test.

Comment

I am interested in hearing more about this unit.I've looked at the Facebook sites and forums, but want to make sure I'm getting unbiased reviews. Max Good have you had a chance to get your hands on one?

Comment

• Max Good
                      Max Good commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm currently buried in pellet smokers. As the MB Gravity Feed appears to be an important development, I asked Pitmaster Huskee, who runs our Pitmaster Club, to test this one. He just got it and will grind out our procedure ASAP.

Thanks@Max Good. I hope one of those is the Weber SmokeFire, I’m considering that one also.

Comment

• Max Good
                      Max Good commented
                      Editing a comment
                      SmokeFire is a priority. Still waiting to receive ours.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here