Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need recommendations for first offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need recommendations for first offset

Hi Guys,

I currently have a Pit Barrel and a Weber Performer with a Slow n Sear so I'm not new to the game. Honestly, I think the SnS is an amazing piece of kit and I love the food I turn out with it. Now I'm really intrigued by moving to an offset and would like recommendations. Sadly, I often cook just for me as my wife isn't much of a meat eater, so I don't want a huge monster but neither do I want something cheap that will wear out after a couple of years. Suggestions?

Shirley Patio model,,,,
    luv Click image for larger version

Name:	AC81B081-2A43-4564-BB28-D8A7BA0C2BA8.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1329333 mine,,,

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Love my Shirley

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus 3. I love mine as well. They do make a vertical version but the 24x36 shown above is not big by offset standards. It is a reverse flow smoker. It is super stable and has a relatively shallow learning curve. It is incredibly efficient & I have no issue firing it up for small cooks ( we are empty nesters) but it can accommodate a whole lot of food when entertaining.
      Last edited by efincoop; November 18, 2022, 11:45 AM. Reason: Updated with more detail.

Lang comes to mind. https://langbbqsmokers.com

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      We should ask what price range you are looking in too.

Yes, we definitely need a price range.

Comment

Old Country Brazos?

Comment

If your budget is under 1k, look for used LSG, Lang, Klose, KBQ, etc., in your area and be willing to drive a while. Over 1k, go for the KBQ.

You could also try a Oklaholma Joe model, but they will require mods and be harder to use than higher quality brands.

Or, you can build your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathgate View Post
          Hi Guys,

I currently have a Pit Barrel and a Weber Performer with a Slow n Sear so I'm not new to the game. Honestly, I think the SnS is an amazing piece of kit and I love the food I turn out with it. Now I'm really intrigued by moving to an offset and would like recommendations. Sadly, I often cook just for me as my wife isn't much of a meat eater, so I don't want a huge monster but neither do I want something cheap that will wear out after a couple of years. Suggestions?
          Tough call, I was in that situation before. Hated firing up the offset for a small amount. Unless you really want a stickburner, consider a Bronco.

Comment

I would vote Old Country Brazos or a 20×36 LSG depending on budget.

Comment

I've got an offset but unless I just need to cook mass amounts, don't fire it up. Certainly not for just the wife and myself. It also takes significantly more fuel. Smoking some butts or brisket with charcoal and wood chunks will run through 30-40 pounds of charcoal. And if I use wood - be prepared to feed small splits to the fire every 30 minutes. I tend towards setting up the firebox with charcoal in a minion arrangement just to get more hands off time.

If it was just me.... I hate to say it, but while new toys are great, I would think the Performer and PBC would fit whatever you would want to cook. The KBQ others have mentioned is nice in that it is fan controlled, has a nice capacity, but doesn't take up so much space when you store it in a shed or garage.

The other consideration for you is whether you have sources of wood - oak, hickory, etc. You will want a nice wood pile.

That said - if you have the space, have the time to babysit the fire, and have plenty of wood - nothing beats a nice offset! Stay away from the cheap/thin ones though...

Comment

Horizon makes a 16 inch offset for around $1000, if you're looking for a smaller smoker. You used to be able to get some Horizon smokers through BassPro if you have one near you and save some shipping costs, not sure if this is still possible:

http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/bac...classic-smoker

(They also make a 20 inch for around $1500)

Or you could consider a quality cabinet smoker:

https://shop.backwoods-smoker.com/co...ts/chubby-3400

https://shop.backwoods-smoker.com/co...ucts/g3-chubby

Comment

KBQ. Hands down.

1. Nice capacity for you, but large enough to entertain a group with.
                  2. Small foot print.
                  3. Has a temperature controller.
                  4. Firebox outside the cooking chamber. Never have to open a firebox door and get a face full of smoke. Just drop a small split in the hamper.
                  5. Easy to clean (stainless steel) and won’t rust.

I have a Jambo offset ( 1/4” rolled steel, insulated firebox, 8 sq. feet of cooking space, and weighs 650 lbs) and I use my KBQ most of the time. Except for this TG, where I’m smoking 4 turkeys and need all that 8 sq. feet.

Comment

Would not go less than the Okie Joe Longhorn, I have had 2 each lasting over 10 years...
                    It really does depend on budget...LSG would get my vote, unjless you an find a local or fairly local custom rig

Comment

Some good input here, as I'd expected. Thanks guys. I'll check out all of the pits mentioned here, starting with the KBQ. Never heard of the Shirley before but that one looks really interesting. I hadn't really set a budget yet but would like to keep it under $1K if possible but that can be pushed if it has to be. jfmorris, your point about wood supply was well taken. I was thinking about that last night. I'll have to check into where I would find good, reliable wood sources. I love the idea of moving to a stick burner but I'm not completely convinced I have all my ducks in a row to start with one. You guys really have given me some stuff to think about.

Comment

• Timbo54
                        Timbo54 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bathgate I see your location is Central California Coast. San Luis Obispo area is full of red oak. My wife and I will pickup a partial cord when we are in the area.

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I got my last delivery here from a local tree service. Turns out that many of the guys who cut down trees for folks, haul it off to a lot where they split it, season it, and then resale as fire wood. My guy said they sorted it by species, and he could bring me oak, hickory or fruit woods for cooking and use in the fireplace.

Timbo54, from where I am San Luis is a pretty far drive. Haven't been there in 35-40 years, long before anybody ever heard of Tri-tips and red oak. Appreciate the thought though!

Comment

I finally found a used Shirley. I highly recommend!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6425.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	1376077

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here