Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on a smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on a smoker?

Hello everyone! I am looking to purchase a charcoal smoker and would like to hear some of your advice. I have smoked for a few years now and have a general idea of what I like and what I don't like.

I am a single dad to two kids (under 5), so I am looking for something fairly straight forward and simple. I would prefer a charcoal smoker, but in the past, my issue has been the time it takes to get it to the right temp and then managing the temp throughout the smoke. I had a Weber Smokey Mountain previously and a Bronco for a while, so I know the strengths and weaknesses of those. Overall, both worked well, but at times the adjustments were kind of a pain with watching the kids and the overall time it took sometimes to get it to the correct temp (from lighting charcoal to getting it to settle around 225 could take almost an hour)

I currently have a pellet grill I found on sale, have had it about a month and will be returning it. (Reason for the return -> first use, temperatures were WAY off, they sent a replacement controller, worked as it should for two cooks, now needs a new controller again, so some serious quality control issues with that brand). I do not like the idea of having to fix those little issues so frequently, and obviously, I know if I spent a bit more on a better brand those issues wouldn't occur so much, but, I have a somewhat limited budget.

I think I would prefer something that is easy to use, but will last quite a while. Do any of you have ideas of a solid smoker that would fit the bill?

Budget is limited, as I am a single dad.
    Thanks for your time and suggestions!

Tell us which one you've got now that isn't working out well for you. In addition, an idea of your budget would be good.

Honestly, I'm very very pleased with my Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 - this thing is rock solid for temps, you can adjust for as much or little smoke as you want, has plenty of room in it, too. It's a heck of a smoker, and usually you can find them about $300 or so, I think. I got a super duper steal on mine through Woot for $99 and I wish I'd have bought 3 of them. lol

Comment

• ghost_smoker
      ghost_smoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I currently have a pellet grill that I am returning, which is why I will be looking for something new.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Get this be happy

I'd lean towards a WSM and then when funds are available you could add something like a fireboard with drive fan or thermoworks and billows system for hands free stuff.

Also (it might not be too late) there were some massive sales and if you can find one the gravity charcoal smokers could be found under 300 bucks to clear floor stock space for the holidays.

Comment

• ghost_smoker
      ghost_smoker commented
      Editing a comment
      How are they quality-wise? I remember hearing about people talking about switches going bad and the overall opinion (of the original) is that it wouldn't last more than a couple of years.

I have considered the option for getting the fan for a later date and seeing if I could find a WSM on FB fairly cheap.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      ghost_smoker, if you are considering a Masterbuilt Gravity Series, I would recommend going big and getting the 1050. The build quality is noticeably better than the smaller versions. And I have had no trouble so far with the switches on my year-old grill. But I'm also careful to not let grease and other stuff build up in the areas around the switches.

I picked up a Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 about this time last year for half price ($400) at Walmart. It has been a great addition to my lineup, and in fact has replaced a couple of cookers that I stopped using when I bought it. One of the great things about it is that it has a mobile app, so it's about as set and forget as they come.

Comment

Hrm... I want to loop back to your post about getting to and maintaining temps. It's not really necessary to tightly control temps, as long as they're in the ballpark. For example, if you want to smoke at 250 but the temps fluctuate over hours from 230 to 275 and back... eh. That's going to be fine. Second, you mention 225 and that's not a magic temp. It's a good temp for many things but a lot of folks find that 275 is just as good for many things like pork butt and brisket, and it cuts down cooking time.

If you want more control, though, you could also look at adding a fan + controller to something like a kettle. Those get you reliable temp control and charcoal.

Comment

How about a SNS Kettle? Add accessories and a controller as needed and when affordable.

The Most Versatile Kettle on the Market! The Slow 'N Sear® Kettle Grill gives you all the performance you’d expect from a kettle style charcoal grill and is customized to work with our Slow ‘N Sear® accessory for unrivaled searing power, low ‘n slow smoking, and true two-zone cooking capability.

Comment

• Purc
          Purc commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

• ghost_smoker
          ghost_smoker commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know much about these, is it just the Weber Kettle with the SNS built in essentially?

There is a massive amount of info HERE that should be helpful.

Comment

I recommend the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. I think they call them Weber Kamados now. Insulated kettle that is excellent for direct grilling, two zone cooking, indirect roasting, pizza, and smoking. Does everything you can do with a kettle as well as everything you can do with a kamado.

Every grill is different and you need to figure out how to build the fire and maintain a constant temp of 225-275. Each cooker will settle in at a particular temp. I know how frustrating chasing temps can be. Constantly adjusting vents is not fun.

Practice practice practice.

Here is a video on the WSCG:

The cooker:
          https://www.weber.com/US/en/charcoal/summit-kamado/

EDIT:
          If the WSCG is no
          t in range then I suggest the S&S Kettle or a Weber Performer with a Slow and Sear charcoal basket.
          Last edited by Old Glory; September 23, 2022, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            He said several times he was on a tight budget! The Summit is for those with a BIG budget...

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris my bad.

Buy once cry once?

I think what rickgregory said makes a lot of sense. In addition, I wouldn’t stay away from all pellet grills just because you got one that you think is defective. I’ve a Pit Boss 800 series and had to replace the control board about 18 months into ownership. They’re not the best quality pellet grills so if you can invest a bit more you can get a better one. A pellet grill is hard to beat if you’re into set it and forget it. And with two small kiddos, I think that’s where you wanna be. My $0.02 worth, keep the change. And, welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Another thought - Depending on budget and space, you could do a pellet grill for "I just want to smoke something and the kids and life need a lot of attention so I can't fuss around" situations and ALSO get something like a kettle for those times when you can play around with charcoal with fewer distractions.

Comment

First welcome from Western Massachusetts. How about a kettle, 22"" if you're cooking just for you and your kids it will suffice. Add an SnS for low and slow smoking. If you're a fan of chicken wings, a vortex. With those 3 items you'll have versatility at a reasonable cost. Not knowing what your budget is maybe not a fit. I would check it out. And this is the time of year for close outs. Retailers looking to get rid of their inventory. Good luck and let us know what path you take.

Comment

Lots of good info here. Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  …, .., …!

I have an OKJ Bronco, and I find it holds temps more than adequately. I check it more than I would have to, but I'd feel comfortable letting it go for a couple hours unsupervised. If you want better control than that, the only options I can think of is adding a fan controller to something or finding a more reliable pellet grill.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This

It’s really dependent on your budget which you don’t mention. Assuming you want to stay conservative there, want to stay with charcoal, and considering you already find the WSM and Bronco to require more attention than you’d like, I would second the suggestion of the gravity cookers from Masterbuilt or Chargriller (or is it Charbroil?). Close to pellet grill convenience. Now is the time too. Might find a sale somewhere.

Comment

As a certain HawkerXP might say
                  PBC PBC PBC!!!! Set it n forget it. Cooks right outa da box, no burn in. Easy peasy!!!
                  $400 excellent value for your dollar. Big time smokey flavor.
                  Last edited by Alan Brice; September 23, 2022, 12:32 PM. Reason: Price n value

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    …,…,…!

• ghost_smoker
                    ghost_smoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've heard good things about them. Are they really as set it and forget it as people make them sound?

Light a certain number of coals, dump, hang meat and walk away? Almost sounds too easy to be true.

• lumbrjk
                    lumbrjk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1! I would also highly recommend the PBC. It is super easy to set up and cooks a solid 7 hours for me without refueling. In my opinion it is one of the best smokers for the money and I own a few.

It really is that easy with great results.

By the way, not sure where you live but I see them for sale secondhand quite often and pick them up for friends at 1/2 price or less. Might want to check out the local classifieds.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here