Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next build conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next build conundrum

Esteemed pit masters: I have a "problem". I’m thinking of which cooker to build next. I want it to be a personal project, just for me, a one-off build with no commercial aspects whatsoever.

Candidate #1: a Parrilla with grill grates that can be raised and lowered. There are two commercial ones I’m looking at: the Sunterra Pro, and the Delta Nuke.

The Sunterra is built like a tank. But way too big for my needs. If I’m doing something like this I will shrink it considerably.

The Nuke has a lid for getting more smoke flavor, a feature I really dig.

Candidate #2: A hill country smoker for backyard use, think of a box with charcoal at the bottom. On wheels so it can be moved around. I would like to have this type of cooker for LOW direct heat, and it would resemble the PBC for smoke flavor due to fat dripping into the glowing embers. I think I’ll dub it "Hank’s Hot Box" 😄

What do you think? I have already built a Parrilla (and sold it), so I’m kind of leaning towards a Hank’s Hot Box. But a Parrilla with a "lid" isn’t a bad idea either. Hmm, decisions, decisions…

I vote for No 2
    Last edited by Elton's BBQ; June 15, 2022, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Hot Box. Make it big enough for a whole pig

Comment

I’d vote hot box.

I wonder if you’d be interested in a kamado build.

Comment

Hot box sounds similar to a mini-Chudd box - I like the idea of slow, direct heat.

rob

Comment

Hot Box - I like the idea of the drippings on the coals and the flavor that imparts.

Comment

PBC, PBC, PBC! wait, what was the question again?

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                HHB, HHB, HHB!

Build them both, both of them to build.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
                mrteddyprincess commented
                Editing a comment
                This is my vote too. We need to find a way to keep you out of trouble there, Hank!

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                +2 on building both....or a hybrid Parrilla-Hot Box combo.
                It would be an engineering masterpiece.

Hot box first. Then the Parrilla with the lid second. Build it so you don't have to use the lid and with a moveable grate and you will have all three.

Another thought would be a lidless parilla and use inverted disposable aluminum pans to make a smoke chamber.

Comment

Also a hot-box vote from me! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Comment

Could you build a hybrid combining the features of a hot box and a parrilla? That would certainly be unique and definitely your own.

Comment

I think there are quite a few commercially available cookers to draw inspiration from. Beside the ones you've mentioned there are the adjustable fuel bin cookers like the LSG Adjustable and the Cajun Grills Preaux. Both have two fuel bins and ample grate space and, of course, lids. Smoking or high intensity grilling are options depending on how the fuel/fire is located (as opposed to moving the cooking surface). For a one off build the scissor action lift mechanisms might be more design/fab effort than desired, but is a very effective solution. The lift mechanisms do eat space in the lower tub which reduces the amount of direct fuel area relative to grate size however. For the smoking process that's not critical, but could be a consideration for grilling.

As another alternative there is the Oklahoma Joe Judge. Lid, generous grate size, effective air management, and the fuel bin is, again, adjustable for height. The lift/drop mechanism is more rudimentary than the two above, just two side handles that hook on notches at either end of the grate rim. As built it's got roughly eight inches of top to bottom range, so you may want to configure that to your wishes, but the design is there and flexible in application or modification. The simple lift design allows for the fuel bin to be nearly the same size as the grate area which could be an added benefit for grilling, though little value for smoking. For smoking the air intake and exhaust stack locations on the Judge are pretty clever. Stack the fuel/fire at the intake end and the air/heat/smoke flow roughly emulates an offset smoker.

Comment

I vote for #2, the hot box

Comment

Maybe you can take a spin at the Good One design and make your own improvements.

Comment

Number 2

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here