Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conditioning / seasoning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conditioning / seasoning question

I’ve never done any special conditioning on any new charcoal grill or smoker other than the usual initial burn-in, but am experiencing a minor issue on two smokers in particular, my WSCGC and PK300. The black (creosote?) buildup on the inside lids of each grill flakes off heavily in between uses. No huge deal, but it does take some cleanup time and effort each time before a cook so it doesn’t fall off onto the food. I do have other grills and smokers but they all have porcelain or painted interiors (Webers and PBC), whereas the inside lid of the WSCGC is stainless and that of the PK is aluminum, of course. Should I perhaps have conditioned these with cooking oil or grease prior to use, and if so would it still be useful to do so now? Thanks.

I put the putty scraper to my smoker (it is an upright box) after about every 4th long cook. I spray it with canola oil a few times a year. It works pretty well. If I were to do the oil more often I don’t think I would need to scrape with the frequency that I do. I will say that I have a good build-up on my Vision grill and it never seems to flake off onto the food. I scrape it off only about once a year and have never applied oil to it.

Comment

Are you doing any high heat cooking or mostly low and slow? I get that type building of carbon on the inside of my kettle lid, but find that it burns off if I do some high heat cooking. It can also be scraped off. I often just hit the inside of the kettle lid with a blast from the hose to knock the loose stuff off before a cook, it’s dry by the time the grill is ready to cook. I do notice it’s all burned off over the side with the SNS after some high heat cooking.

Comment

• Jessterr
        Jessterr commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris Yeah, the cooks have been exclusively low and slow, or at least less than 325F. But I haven’t seen this with the kettle lid or other coated lids, just the bare metal ones. The stuff is so loose that when I open the WSCG for example to do a new cook, there’s already stuff flaked off down onto the grill. The last time I used the PK it was so loose that it came off with just a finger rub, and I got it off with just a light rub using a Scotch Brite pad. Came off like black dust….

• Jessterr
        Jessterr commented
        Editing a comment
        Next cook on the PK, I’ll rub some oil on it first then let it bake on for a half hour or so before putting the food on, see if that helps.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Jessterr now that you bring coatings up, I probably see this more on my offset than any of the other grills. It's bare stainless steel inside, but with 35+ years of smoking and grilling cruding it up.

I do this every so often. Weber Grill Restoration: Interior and Exterior Kettle Cleaning - Weber Kettle Club

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a very impressive clean-up

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea I think I did that once but with 7 cookers if I did that to all of them that way I wouldn't have time to cook. But hey, it is important to have some sort of cleaning regiment.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        To be honest, I don't go full restoration that often. Just the scraping with the razor blades.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here