Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So here's my MCS dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tdimond The OG has the same main grate size as a 22” kettle, but you need to realize you have the full grate for indirect, unlike when using the SNS in your kettle. With the upper level grate and extension, you can fit a lot. Here’s a chart on their website:

https://grillagrills.com/pellet-gril...ze-comparison/

I think you can do 5-6 racks of ribs flat if using the extension for the upper grate, or use a rib rack to stand them on edge. One of the Grilla support guys sent me a picture of 6 racks of baby backs cooking on the OG.

I think the big question is how much space you need for day to day cooking. If you are having a big party you can always fire up more than one cooker. That’s my current plan, and in the past, I’ve had 3 or 4 cookers going for large gatherings.

One last thing - if you want Grillgrates to improve searing on the OG it’s the same set you may already have for your 22” kettle - I confirmed that with Grilla while doing my research.
    Last edited by jfmorris; May 4, 2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I haven't heard of the Heavy D until now, but I am intrigued. I will say on the couple of smokes on my new GMG I have started turning down the heat for the first 2-3hrs like others have mentioned, and it really does help the smoke/flavor profile.

Comment

Alrighty, I pulled the trigger on an OG! More to come . . .

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Congats! Anxious to see pics of you cooking on that.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you order the upper rack extension? I am curious to see how loaded up you can get this thing once it comes in! . And as I said before, there are always rib racks too, to cook 5-6 racks of rib on edge on the main grate.

• tdimond
          tdimond commented
          Editing a comment
          I did get the upper rack extension.

I know this is late to the game for tdimond, but I was digging through email responses I got from Grilla when asking them a few questions about capacity of the OG.

Bottom rack to top rack is about 5.5 inches, bottom rack to the inside of the lid is about 11 inches.

Here is a photo that Jeremy Crow at Grilla sent me, showing 6 racks of ribs on the OG, using that upper extension grate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 ribs.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1028365

Comment

• tdimond
          tdimond commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought the upper extension. That jerky grate may be on the Christmas wish list.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here