Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help With Troubleshooting MasterBuilt 1050 Extended Cool Down Time: Charcoal Still Smoldering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Troubleshooting MasterBuilt 1050 Extended Cool Down Time: Charcoal Still Smoldering

Hi all.

Before I bought my MasterBuilt 1050, I read through the comments about not getting a full 8 or 10 hours of cook time from a firebox fully loaded with Kingsford charcoal briquettes. Therefore, before performing my initial 250F/400F burn-out and 350F seasoning, I cut out a square piece of 1/2 inch expanded metal to lay on top of the stock firebox grate. I figured that this would allow me to get more use from the lit charcoal before it falls into the bucket below.

However, I found that the time for the 1050 to cool off from 400F to an ambient outside temperature was excessive. Even after 4+ hours, I found that there was still smoldering charcoal. In shutting down the grill, I turned the power switch off and immediately inserted the two plates to completely block the air flow vents. Yet, 4+ hours later, my grill is still smoldering charcoal. The temperature of the heat shields on the sides and top hopper of the firebox stack were warm to the touch but not hot. This extended smoldering of charcoal concerns me.

Has anyone else made the modification of adding a piece of expanded metal on top of firebox grate to get extended charcoal use? If so, are you experiencing extended grill cool down times and extended charcoal smoldering times?

Thanks.
    -Z

The first thing to do when troubleshooting like this is to eliminate variables so, after it's completely cool, remove you modification. Then see if it occurs next time.

Comment

I have never had something like that happen and I have no mods to the firebox. I agree with the above poster that you should remove your mod and see what happens.

Comment

Either your mod is responsible somehow or there is an air leak at the top or bottom of the firebox stack. Mine cools down fairly quick though I usually let it burn off hot for cleaning purposes.

Comment

I can't imagine that little square of expanded metal on the grate has the slightest to do with that. This seems odd. If your slides are inserted and the hopper doors are latched then there should be no way for air to get in. Mine (albeit the 560 not the 1050) snuffs out rather quickly. I suspect a leak, perhaps a crack in the metal somewhere or a faulty hopper door seal?

Comment

Hi @Huskee.

I believe you're right. I forgot to mention that, when looking at the charcoal hopper so that ash door the doors swing out toward me, I do see smoke coming from the right rear corner of the hopper lid, and this is one of the hinged corners. Please note that, after a few hours, the heat shields of my1050 are cool/warm to the touch. However, I still see smoke coming from the hopper lid, which means charcoal is still smoldering.

For the price point, I know that the 1050 would have some issues. However, as the primary technology is inverted fuel (similar to a rocket stove), the seals must be perfect. Any leaks would allow additional fuel combustion.

Guess I will need to contact MasterBuilt and ask for a replacement hopper lid gasket.

Take care.
            -Z

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              If you see a gasket problem you may be able to fold it back in place or patch it temporarily with a high temp sealant.

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              Good luck getting in touch with one of their customer annoyance reps. They have some of the worst after-purchase service imaginable.

Hi all.

I did another seasoning of the 1050 today. While the grill was active, I carefully inspected all gasketed doors while they were in the closed and locked position. Sure enough, I found charcoal smoke coming from at least three sections beneath gasket of the hopper cover. Time to file a case with MasterBuilt.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Take care.
            -Z

Comment

I'm having the same issue with mine -- keeps smouldering long after shutting down from the initial burn-in. I don't think it's coming from the gasket, though. I can see a gap in the metal in the rear left corner at the top of the hopper where it's not sealed up. Looks like the sheet metal wasn't lined up properly when it was tack-welded. To try to get it sealed up so it doesn't burn out an entire bag of charcoal I've pressed some aluminum foil into it. The principled part of me says it should go back. But the practical side of me is thinking to just get some high temp sealer and seal it up that way beacuse I know it's going to be a royal pain to return this to Cabela's and then spend another few hours putting a new one together.

Comment

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                Sometimes, it's just easier to fix it yourself. If it seems like a minor repair that you can easily do yourself, then I'd say just fix it and be done.

willxfmr yeah, that's what I decided to do. After spending a lot of time watching videos on the mods, I have the stainless plate with the felt on it to cover the top on order and got some of the other things for the inside of the grill lilke the water chamber and the manifold cover/drip pan legs. Fortunately got the grill on cabelas points so the extra money on the accessories is a little less painful

Comment

Originally posted by hoekma View Post
                willxfmr yeah, that's what I decided to do. After spending a lot of time watching videos on the mods, I have the stainless plate with the felt on it to cover the top on order and got some of the other things for the inside of the grill lilke the water chamber and the manifold cover/drip pan legs. Fortunately got the grill on cabelas points so the extra money on the accessories is a little less painful
                Well, did some research and wound up getting some RTV650 to seal up the top of the box. The RTV basically plugs the open spaces in the corners at the very top and then traces the 90 degree metal flap that folds down to the inside of the chimney. I di this all he way around . Here's a pic. Wish the color was black, but it's on the inside of the box and won't be an eye sore 99% of the time. I'll let everyone know how it goes after my next smoke.
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here