Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I Sold My MB560

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I Sold My MB560

Smokey has moved on to a new owner after 2.5 years at Casa Zero.

The MB560 is an outstanding smoker and grill. I'd still recommend it. It made some amazing food. I would say, I have many positive experiences posted here that would demonstrate that so this post is not going to rehash those all over again. Notably, my firebricks and door sensors are in good shape.

I would say I sold it because I learned enough from here and from my experiences with it that I did not need to rely on the pellet grill type control anymore. Owning an Akorn and getting set and forget type smoking and excellent searing benefits without dealing with the MB560’s quibbles helped.

Here are my quibbles:

1. The fire bricks are consumable, and I am too dumb to replace them because one single screw is practically welded in.

2. The app finally stopped working for me, and I can no longer figure it out.

3. The Akorn doesn't need to be cleaned for 15- 20 minutes after every cook, nor does it need electric cords dragged all the way to the end of the driveway. This is rough in winter, especially.

4. The biggest issue is the constant flare ups. One destroyed my $100 brisket the other day. At 275, flare-up, over 500 flare-up. My trust in the easy mode nature of this smoker was taking a hit if my meat is at risk of being ruined constantly.

I assumed that the grease was being burned up each time so each cook a new grease deposit was creating new issues. Cleaning the manifold, drip tray, and juice collector helped but it was effort. My next steps were to essentially wash the entire cooking chamber and/or buy a new drip tray and manifold. I worried honestly if I would be just introducing a ton of rust even if I ran the smoker at 400 to burn the water off. I didn’t really want to invest the time, money, and effort when I had a Akorn that had no such issues. And it didn’t feel like a final solution.

In the end, it was probably more of a me problem than anything but it felt time to pass it along while it could still add value for a new owner.

Why the PK300? It would seem to offer all of the advantages of a kamado without being one so I can play with a new cooker. It would also offer advantages in cold weather cooking, and remove the electrical and flare up annoyances of the MB560 while adding durability. It would also be at a very reasonable price point compared to a newer quality kamado when considering MB560 sale monies. Thus, it would seem well suited to meet my new needs as my learning and experiences have evolved.

Thanks for the good times Smokey. You’ll be remembered fondly.

That list of quibbles is kind of why I stick with the kettle and would replace it with a Bronco or maybe an Akorn if I got something. I have a handy power outlet on the patio, so that's fine but I just don't want to hassle with something that needs to be cleaned after every use, something that has an auger (thinking pellets here), etc. I'm fine with the results I get out of the old fashioned way, so why complicate things

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the idea of a Primo but hate the cost. I may simply be too cheap to upgrade over the Akorn. It is so cheap and works so damn well, I might just keep buying them. I mean , I can probably buy 4-5 Akorns for the cost of one Primo.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t see a point in buying electric again while kamados and PKs exist (assuming they perform like the Akorn).

My MB ended up on the side of the street for the metal recycles. I wouldn't have wished it upon anyone I knew.

Comment

There are two days you like a car, The day you but it and the day you sell it.

Comment

• nunyaz
        nunyaz commented
        Editing a comment
        me thinks you confused "car" with "boat" there bbqLuv

Interesting postscript. A coworker also has a MB560 and was dealing with constant flare ups. He spent 2 hours cleaning it out too to bottom, did a quick burn off, and smoked a few burgers with drip trays in place. He still had massive flare ups when taking it to 500 or so for searing. It does seem to be an issue with a heavily-used smoker. He is planning to sell it and right now is leaning towards the auto Akorn.

Comment

I really appreciate this information. I was leaning toward this type of smoker when considering replacing the PBC. I’ll probably stick with the pbc.

Comment

Again Imma recommend the Char-griller Akorn Auto-Kamado ... set n forget, major real estate, super stingy with the lump and turns out some amazingly killer Q ... was about $300 when I bought it and would do it again at twice the price (well, maybe not TWICE the price) but would certainly buy it again AND recommend to a Q-bud! 5-stars! *****

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here