Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS flareup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One cannot have too many grills.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed, I find even th very concept of such a thing to be absolutely reprehensible...how vulgar a thought. Egad.

>>Single Male<<

YMMV
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 26, 2021, 09:00 AM.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen brother.

Well, making that return trip to Wally World last night meant that I was serious about buying one of these. So I turned to brickseek.com, which has been helpful in the past for checking inventory at Walmart and some others. In what seemed to be shaping up as a shocking plot twist, brickseek told me that a store in Louisville (30 min drive) had "2 or 3" for $200! . I headed that way this morning, but no luck. One last look at brickseek pointed me toward the WM in Bardstown. There I found two at the same half price I was attempting to get last night. Never have I been so disappointed to save 50%, but I didn't hesitate this time. Besides, I was already preapproved by SWMBO for this one.

Now I just need to unbox this thing and hopefully do a test run this evening.
    Last edited by Steve R.; September 26, 2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I love happy endings! What an adventure!

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to ask if you’d checked brickseek after it was sold. Glad you found one.

And he lived happily ever after...

K.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Or at least until the next shiny new toy comes along.

Don’t fight it!

Comment

Well, with one cook under my belt (ribs yesterday) I'm liking this grill! I can't say I'm a fan of the cast iron grates, though. So, like we Pitmasters are prone to do, I'm thinking of replacing those things with stainless steel or nickel-plated steel. Something like this from Home Depot should work, but will require a little bit of trimming down of the width. I don't see the "stainless steel wrapped" construction being a problem, since I won't be running it at really high temperatures and will be stored in my garage.

Are there better options? I don't think GrillGrates would be the way to go for this application.
      Last edited by Steve R.; October 11, 2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        See - you are taking my advice! With the money you saved you just gotta. Honestly, I don’t think you would go wrong with those grates.

Polarbear had the 1050 and used SmokeFire E6 grates cutdown from ProGrates now MillerMade. You’d have to check on the measurements for these for yours. I am not home right now so I don’t have the exact measurements handy. These are all links I have saved over time.

These might also fit:

This guy on FB also does very nice custom ones and he is probably what I am going to use at some point.

Joe’s Grill Grates. 1,974 likes · 3 talking about this. Pricing is as follows for GMG Lower Grill Grates: GMG JB Grill Grates $125 GMG DB Grill Grates $100 GMG DC Grill Grates $60 Shipping not...

Comment

• jpietrantone
        jpietrantone commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. just an FYI, Joe's grill grates are $100 plus s+h for the main grate. It should ship to me 11/12, so sounds like he's a month out. I hate the cast iron grates as well.
        Last edited by jpietrantone; October 12, 2021, 10:46 AM.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        jpietrantone looking forward to your review. The FB forum has many many positive reviews so I am sure you will be pleased.

• jpietrantone
        jpietrantone commented
        Editing a comment
        STEbbq I will definitely let everyone know. The total ended up being $137.

As I’ve said in multiple posts. The 1050 works great and gets to temp fast. Only issue is cheap build quality, which was ok because I could easily fix most of it.

Comment

The only issue I've had with mine is getting the app to work pretty much at all. I bought a fireboard 1 and drive cable which has been flawless. I also ordered the cable that connects the fan to the drive.

I also don't use this for grilling. You will also notice that the stock fire box metal will begin warping and flaking off. This hasn't caused any issues for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here