Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kent Rollins' Big Bertha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kent Rollins' Big Bertha

Hmmm, not sure what to think of this offering. It's made by Hasty Bake so I'm sure the quality and workmanship are there, but the price point seems a little high for what it is. My LSG didn't cost that much shipped to my front yard. Thoughts?
    https://www.hastybake.com/products/b...d7c056e4&_ss=r

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot2021-07-08at3.00.10PM_medium.png
Views:	1124
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1078169
    Last edited by CaptainMike; August 16, 2021, 08:08 AM.

Yeah, a little out of what I would want to spend there.

Comment

Not something that would interest me, although I can see it's appeal (got to leave room for future MCS). I can see it in a rustic outdoor kitchen set up.
      The tall price is because of the Corten steel I bet!
      About 10 years ago my Daughter worked for Williams Sonoma and they offered an enameled old fashioned French looking gas stove for 12K so 5K ain't so bad.
      Last edited by ofelles; August 16, 2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Just another example of a food celebrity (although I do like the old Cowboy) cashing in on his name. As a result the said cooker goes up in price by 1.5 or 2 times what it's really worth. Franklin's new pit is a perfect example. Fine cooker, well crafted but come on, you can get something that cooks and is built equally as well for half the price.

Another novelty cooker, no interest. Thanks for posting though Mike, I wish Kent a lot of luck regardless. He's a character.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, those were pretty much my thoughts as well.

Looks like lots of fun but probably not for me right now. I too like my LSG which I need to continue to learn more about.

Comment

I’d decide if one of the wood burning ovens from Lehman’s Hardware fit my needs first. Too bad that their lines of wood ovens has dwindled in the past several years. I kind of like those Elmira cast iron stove/ovens made in Canada. The are at least prettier than Bertha.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	59BB30B9-450B-44AA-9C86-696B91FF4CCE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	1078192

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            When we were kids we'd vacation at a little resort in the high sierras. They had these cool old cobble stone cabins that were built in the 1920's and had most of the original furnishings, including oil lamps and wood cook stoves. My mother grew up cooking on them and she took to it easily. She even baked bread and cakes to show us her chops!! Some of the best times of our lives were spent there, and it's where we scattered dad's ashes.

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            CaptainMike
            Like any tool (knife, gun, cooker, etc.), the key is knowing how to use it.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            gcdmd mom took the time to show us how to use them. Of course, fire management is the key and us kids smoked the place out a few times learning that. But once you found the sweet spot it was really fun and satisfying, although I would not like to live that way. On second thought, I think I could go totally Thoreau and live by a pond in the woods!
            Last edited by CaptainMike; August 16, 2021, 11:07 AM.

Having watched my Aunt cook on a wood stove, and having to help fill the woodshed for that stove, It's a firm no for me - at any price...

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            I love reading about the past, but, despite all of our problems, now is the best time to have ever lived.

First, let me say this: "NO!"

Now let me think carefully about my response ... (insert your choice of game show music here) ... OK, Cap'n ... I'm gonna stick with "NO!".

Comment

I don't imagine Kent ever used it on his chuckwagon during roundups.

Comment

Clark He does, or used to, use the original.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bertha.jpg
Views:	1612
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1078379

Comment

I saw that on his Facebook page. Looks cool and I'm sure the quality is top notch. If I was rolling in cash - maybe I would consider. It just seems like a large firebox on casters and fold-down counter tops.

Comment

Stack a few cement blocks into stand for your Dutch oven if you don’t like crouching $8. Maybe a dude ranch would want this for shock and awe value.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here