Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel Junior - two whole chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Barrel Junior - two whole chickens

Meathead + Pit Barrel Junior has “totally redeemed” chicken in the mouths of my recent guests!

A smokey pair of yard birds stand tall atop the podium of “best smoked meats,” de-throning pulled pork as the reigning heavyweight champion... their savory skins and juicy meat were too much for the porker to handle!

A brief 2-hr dry salt brine on top of the skin (uncovered in the fridge), then applied binders and rubs, smoke gave it depth and proper slow-roasting to 160-165° meant it was extra-juicy. Pre-trimmed weight 8.89lbs, cook time 1:45. Lit 20 coals in chimney for 12-mins put 17 new coals on top of a layer of used charcoal and it nearly filled up junior’s coal basket. Began cooking nearly immediately. After ~15 mins cooker was still under 200° so I cracked the lid with foil and we were off to the races 275-325° for the remainder.

Left to Right birds 1, 2, 3, 4
    - 1 was covered in Franks and then peri-peri spice
    - 2 was mustard-covered then Meathead’s Memphis Dust
    - 3-4 were mustard covered and then Pit Barrel’s All Purpise Rub

Peri-peri and Memphis Dust were the favorites!

Special thanks to fzxdoc for her excellent guides and posts, and @Meathead for continually upping my BBQ game!
    Attached Files

Great looking chicken! Bet it tasted as good as it looks!

Comment

Those aren't whole chickens!

Comment

Nice lookin' yard birds.

Comment

Gorgeous yardbirds, lefty_burns . Yup, that PBC is a chicken machine. My family asks for it all the time, and I'm happy to oblige. Plus I get some pretty tasty homemade chicken stock with the bones and scraps.

I'm happy to have provided even a bit of info that helped you on your way to Chicken Nirvana.

Kathryn

Comment

Great looking chicken! I'm doing a couple birds later today.

+1 on the tasty stock. Smoked chicken stock is my new secret weapon to go into most of my other dishes. I used it with just a box mix of zatarain's dirty rice, and it was definitely a couple steps up from normal.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
              Alabama Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta try that BFlynn. Thanks for posting that. Smoked dirty rice.........

CHICKEN! PBC jr!

Comment

That chicken looks delicious! I’m fairly new to the PBC, but love chicken cooked in it. fzxdoc Ive been throwing the bones out, what a waste, gotta start saving for stock!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                You won't regret it. Smoked chicken stock even kicks up basic chicken noodle soup up a notch. I use it in everything calling for chicken stock/broth.

Kathryn

Ya gotta love how juicy the yard birds are when done in the Pit barrel! Nice work!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis