Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel Junior - two whole chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Barrel Junior - two whole chickens

Meathead + Pit Barrel Junior has "totally redeemed" chicken in the mouths of my recent guests!

A smokey pair of yard birds stand tall atop the podium of "best smoked meats," de-throning pulled pork as the reigning heavyweight champion... their savory skins and juicy meat were too much for the porker to handle!

A brief 2-hr dry salt brine on top of the skin (uncovered in the fridge), then applied binders and rubs, smoke gave it depth and proper slow-roasting to 160-165° meant it was extra-juicy. Pre-trimmed weight 8.89lbs, cook time 1:45. Lit 20 coals in chimney for 12-mins put 17 new coals on top of a layer of used charcoal and it nearly filled up junior’s coal basket. Began cooking nearly immediately. After ~15 mins cooker was still under 200° so I cracked the lid with foil and we were off to the races 275-325° for the remainder.

Left to Right birds 1, 2, 3, 4
    - 1 was covered in Franks and then peri-peri spice
    - 2 was mustard-covered then Meathead’s Memphis Dust
    - 3-4 were mustard covered and then Pit Barrel’s All Purpise Rub

Peri-peri and Memphis Dust were the favorites!

Special thanks to fzxdoc for her excellent guides and posts, and @Meathead for continually upping my BBQ game!
    Attached Files

Great looking chicken! Bet it tasted as good as it looks!

Comment

Those aren't whole chickens!

Comment

• Duanessmokedmeats
        Duanessmokedmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        They were at one time....🤣🤣🤣

Nice lookin' yard birds.

Comment

Gorgeous yardbirds, lefty_burns . Yup, that PBC is a chicken machine. My family asks for it all the time, and I'm happy to oblige. Plus I get some pretty tasty homemade chicken stock with the bones and scraps.

I'm happy to have provided even a bit of info that helped you on your way to Chicken Nirvana.

Kathryn

Comment

Great looking chicken! I'm doing a couple birds later today.

+1 on the tasty stock. Smoked chicken stock is my new secret weapon to go into most of my other dishes. I used it with just a box mix of zatarain's dirty rice, and it was definitely a couple steps up from normal.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta try that BFlynn. Thanks for posting that. Smoked dirty rice.........

CHICKEN! PBC jr!

Comment

That chicken looks delicious! I’m fairly new to the PBC, but love chicken cooked in it. fzxdoc Ive been throwing the bones out, what a waste, gotta start saving for stock!

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            You won't regret it. Smoked chicken stock even kicks up basic chicken noodle soup up a notch. I use it in everything calling for chicken stock/broth.

Kathryn

Ya gotta love how juicy the yard birds are when done in the Pit barrel! Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Duanessmokedmeats View Post
            fzxdoc How do you make your stock?​
            Duanessmokedmeats , sometimes I make chicken stock in my very large (10qt) Instant Pot using a version of Dewesq55 's excellent recipe:
            When I roast a chicken them bones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTuD8k3JvxQ) go into the instant pot overnight. Click image for larger version Name: D5ajdsacozbHpWKFpbIjGevwDFiumyaw7YV9rj9Hly5p4j1r1-7ikMAmwXnnaldzJ_sFM8CV1X9WotmFNVnpXMpDb9eO-qLKlSepWAEhi4Im_hgueAgc9hxUqykCkIpiNyawiL_GkfH1PSvrwSOoQsklzv84kaZBELilZHqUmVJmxeUs

For quick and easy, when I only have the bones 'n bits of a couple of PBC roasted chickens and don't want to mess with adding chicken meat, I​ use a variation on Lynn Rossetto Kasper's Cheater's Chicken Broth recipe in a stock pot. I usually double the recipe, since I almost always smoke 2 chickens at the same time. Other times I just use this single recipe and add both carcasses, if I don't have room in the freezer for a double batch of stock. Either way, the carcass lends a nice but subtle smokey component to the storebought broth and the other ingredients amp up the flavor.

I use the kitchen gauze trick to help with the straining and cleanup.

It's easy to do the day after a chicken cook before tossing the PBC chicken's bones 'n bits.

Kathryn's Nearly Homemade Bones 'n Bits Chicken Stock
            1 (or 2) chicken carcass(es) and other bits, tied up in food -grade kitchen gauze
            1/2 cup dry white wine
            2 garlic cloves, crushed (leave unpeeled if organic)
            2 whole cloves
            1 Tbl tomato paste
            1 Tbl Worchestershire sauce
            1 bay leaf, broken
            1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
            Two (to three) quarts storebought chicken or vegetable broth
            1 medium to large onion, coarse chopped
            1/2 large celery stalk with leaves, coarse chopped
            1/2 medium carrot, coarse chopped​

1. In a 4-quart pot, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a simmer, partially cover, and cook gently for 3 hours.

2. Pull the gauze bag of bones 'n bits out of the broth, let drip in a sieve placed over the pan for a bit, then discard.

3. Strain the broth into storage containers. I freeze the broth in 2 cup portions in quart freezer Ziploc bags, squeezing out the excess air. Then I lay them flat on a cookie sheet in the freezer until frozen solid. Finally I stack them vertically in a freezer drawer.

4. Either use the stock right away, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it.​

Kathryn

Comment

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              For my quick and easy chicken stock, I use the roasted chicken from the grocery store. Generally, the store roasted chicken is cheaper or about the same price as the raw whole chicken, like Zach Farms. I take the meat off for whatever I'm making (enchiladas, chicken & dumplings, etc.). Everything else goes back into the stock pot with cheap chicken broth, veggies, etc.

• tenphases
              tenphases commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds amazing!!!

• Duanessmokedmeats
              Duanessmokedmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you

My PBC chicken stock recipe: Chicken scraps from pbc chicken. Plus I buy chicken backs from the butcher shop and throw them in the pbc instead of shutting the fire down.

Then I grab of vegetable scraps (onions, garlic, carrots, etc) and throw it in

then I peruse my fridge for all the stuff I got from the farmers market the previous week and throw anything that looks like it's past it's prime.

Then I do one of two things 1. Turn on the instant pot for an hour 2. Blindly grab random stuff from the spice cabinet and start shaking.

Then I run the IP for an hour. Keep in mind if anyone walks in the kitchen while I'm concoting this mess I act like I'm a gourmet chef taking precise measurements. I'm going to try the above (fxz) recipe next time it looks just a little better lol
            ​​​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here