Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temps at different levels -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temps at different levels -

Alabama Smoke
    Did some quasi science last night while cooking wings.

A couple things -
    I've added extra grate levels 4 inches above and below the normal grate.
    ​​​​​​​
    Attempted to take readings at the bottom level, mid level and rebar level. Had to wrap probe around rebar bc I only have 2 grates.

I'd had an adult beverage or two, so probe placement may not have been optimal...

BUT

BEFORE adding meat - temps at all three levels were very close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200726-185653_FireBoard.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	887205
    ​​​​​​
    There was more spread after adding a dozen wings - but I don't think it's significant enough to impact adding a lower grate to accommodate a Dutch oven.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200726-192558_FireBoard.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	887206

I plan on doing a Dutch oven cook in a couple days and will report.

BFlynn interesting indeed. Especially that the temps are not so different it would likely make much difference other than a slight impact as to cooking time. It is interesting that with no food, the middle (original PBC placed grate) ran hotter than either the bottom or top, while with the food on the grates, the middle grate was cooler. I don't understand that, but the important thing is installing grates a few inches lower or higher would not likely have substantial detrimental effect at all. I look forward to hearing back on your dutch oven cook! Thanks for the comments.

Comment

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, it doesn't surprise me that there's not much temperature differential with height in a vertical barrel. Almost all the heat transfer is convective, not radiant, so gets more or less mixed. That's why you can hang a chicken or tri tip or pork butt from either direction and get pretty much the same result. Only when a brisket or ribs get too long is there a difference, at the very bottom.

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP I totally missed the cold wings and the 10 minute cook time. I expect that is indeed the difference. Tks for pointing this out.

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, the second chart is only the 10 mins after I flipped the wings. The first 10 mins of my wing cook the probe on the middle grate (that was set inserted in a ball of aluminum foil) rotated and the probe was sticking straight up. ALSO the probe wrapped around the rebar had come loose and has hanging down, so those 2 probes were basically touching.

So I left that part of the graph out.

Like I said, this was NOT a thorough investigation, and there MAY have been SOME user error.

I’ve checked temps top to bottom as well and also noticed a minimal difference. There’s a fairly large difference front to back, but that disappears once you get a few inches away from the outside.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Red Man I understand the comments as to Top to Bottom but Front to back?? Are you referencing the side of the barrel where the intake hole is vs the opposite side?

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      "A drum only loses heat through the surface of the drum"

Yes, and that's why a PBC really doesn't like rain, even a light sprinkle. :0

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Alabama Smoke You are correct about what I meant by front to back.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here