Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC brats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC brats

Hey y’all, I have PBC brat holders gettin’ ready to use for first time. What’s your average time for brats right out the fridge? Thanks much!

Takes under an hour (around 45 min?) to get them to 165°, the safe-eating temp. I take mine up to 185° because I like more snap to the skin. Also, that's running the PBC hotter at 300°+. I don't have the PBC sausage hanger--I modded a few hangers to fit into my PBC--the main difference is that mine hold 6 brats/sausages whereas the PBC hanger holds 4.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; May 22, 2020, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      lefty_burns, I bought a few of these and cut the handle down to fit in my PBC:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4NZAJERI&psc=1

I'll dig up a photo and post it. Basically, one handle is cut off so the hanger can be suspended from the rebar or from a hook.

If you need any more info, just let me know. And P.S. I'm glad I could help with some PBC info. It's a sweet cooker. I'm sure you'll enjoy using yours.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; June 24, 2020, 07:15 PM.

• lefty_burns
      lefty_burns commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that link fzxdoc, in your research, did you ever come across anything negative about using non-stick in a grill/smoker. I know the Pit Barrels will run hot, and I was concerned about the potential for the coating melting/cooking off in the heat. I found this kind in my search, not sure if it's safer/preferable. Thanks for your input!

https://www.tomtop.com/p-h27487.html...cid=61k4_ns4ki

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      lefty_burns , I have not found anything specific to non-stick cooking surfaces and smoking temps. The sausage hanger you found will work fine once you whack that handle off. The loop on the other side is perfect for sliding onto a rebar or hanging from a hook. I like using a hook for the convenience but it puts the lowest sausage a bit too close to the fire, so I have to keep a closer eye on it.

Kathryn

30-45 minutes for me. I have the sausage hanger, and it does shave a few minutes off the cook time.

Comment

There are lots of PBC brats around here... Some have significant snap, some are always tough.. :-)

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        pbc, pbc, pbc…….

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP, wait for it...………………………………………………………………...nah, not this time.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment

k.

Haven’t smoked brats but do a lot of Italian sausages on the grate. Usual time is 40-60 min. I take them to 165 degrees

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis