Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC : Brisket on the grate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC : Brisket on the grate.

I am planning on doing a brisket this weekend and I think that I'm going to lay it on the grate this time. I separated the packer for the first time and I don't know if I did it correctly. Both pieces of brisket are now a bit thin after trimming and separating. So I thought I would just lay them on top of each other on the grate, much like what Huskee did in his Wichita when he split his brisket some time ago. What are ya'll's thoughts on this move.
    My thoughts are that if I hang the two pieces separately, they may dry out on me. Something I really don't want as this thing has been taking up considerable real estate in my fridge for the past 35 days. So I don't want to screw it up.
    Just trying to get some thoughts on this game plan. Thanks guys/gals.
    -John
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2848.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	55380 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	55381

Now that u have them separate I would not have them touching during the cook. You want to maximize bark. Cooking in grate is fine. Probe both for temperature. Cook them unwrapped until bark is how you want it ignoring stall. Wrap and cook to probe tender which should be around 203*F. Post pics! Using BBBR? With 1/2 tsp Cumin aka Pit Boss Style?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep using the BBBR, I added a few other ingredients to the mix as well so hopefully it works out well. Im trying to find my own rub for brisket, and I'm using the BBBR as my starting point. Adding a few things and taking a few out. trial and error.

I hung a separated prime brisket on the PBC and had no problems of drying out. See my post in the PBC section for exactly what I did.

Comment

Prime brisket for $3.89/lb?? Unreal! Awesome score! I was giggling like a schoolkid to see a Choice one for $4.99/lb finally where I live, instead of $8.99.

Looking forward to this post! I don't hang meat so you know what I would say. Pit Boss gives great advice. As you know I happened to separate mine and dry brined & rubbed both pieces w/ BBBR separately, but I cooked them together (intact) as though I hadn't separated. This wasn't because it was better, just how I chose to proceed. If you like bark though, Pit Boss' way is certainly the best option, plus if one gets done quicker you have the best odds of perfection with both. The only thing I'd say different than him is that a Prime brisket may be probe tender sooner than 203, start check in the 195 range just in case.
      Last edited by Huskee; January 23, 2015, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee,
        If I cook them separately I'll have to hang them. Theres not enough space on the grate to put them both side by side. I was just worried that the thinner parts of the brisket would dry out.
        So I was thinking that if I put them on like you did I could avoid the problem all together. But maybe I should just hang them separately.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your help on this one Husk. It went well. It was probe tender at about 198 F. Thanks for the tip brother!!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        @Spinaker, good to hear John! [looking for pics of this great cook]....

I still haven't cooked them separate, which doesn't make a lot of sense since I separate them at the end anyway. For $3.89/lb for prime I would try both ways, several times.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        For $3.89/lb for prime I would try both ways, several times.
        Lol, same here.

Comment

I don't know if anyone can tell from these pictures or not, if I separated this thing correctly. I removed the deckle, and cut along the fat line in between the Point and the Flat. It just seems like I didn't do it right for some reason. Towards the bottom of the point and the flat the meat gets pretty thin. This is where I am most concerned with the meat drying out on me.

Name:	IMG_2861.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	55672 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2862.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	55671

I also picked up another brisket but not quite the deal I got back in December.

Name:	IMG_2865.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	55677 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2864.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	55675
          Attached Files

Comment

• ATXBill
            ATXBill commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure if you are familiar with Aaron Franklin and Franklin Barbecue in Austin. (I can just about smell it from my house.) He's developed some pretty good videos in conjunction with PBS. This one is on trimming, seasoning and cooking brisket. Hope this helps! http://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, lucky you man, thats awesome. I am familiar, but I've never been. Its on my list. Thanks for the link.

Looks correct to me. You're going to have thin parts with most any brisket. These thin sections may be dry and not as good as the thickest parts. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have enough slices to feed the crowd it's all good.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds good Boss thanks!!

Anybody tried folding the thin parts over to make it twice as thick during the cook?

Comment

This one might be a quick cook. I'm using a donut method with the basket. It seems to work well.
            I'm already reading in the 90's on both briskets and I've only had them on for about an hour. Pit temp is at 258.
            I hung both of them across the middle of the cooker with four hooks each.

Name:	IMG_2867.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	55778 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2868.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	55779

Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't hang past 6 hours, or past 180 internal, if you want optimum bark, especially on the top of the flat. Sooner or later they can use/need some direct heat on the grate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                I wouldn't hang past 6 hours, or past 180 internal, if you want optimum bark, especially on the top of the flat. Sooner or later they can use/need some direct heat on the grate.
                Do you think I should wrap them when i go to the grate?

Comment

I'd got for good bark while hanging, then wrap and put on the grate (Don't go over 180*F while hanging though). The wrap helps retain juices.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the tip, are you thinking that they may pull away from the hooks?

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, I'm thinking they will fall off the hooks. Once the collagens and such start melting and the meat gets tender, the hooks won't hold it any more.

Just wrapped the flat, I am leaving the point on the smoker grate. I couldn't fit both on the grate at the same time so I'm finishing the flat in the oven. The flat looks really good, nice bark and color but not quite as crusty as I would like. I am trying a new rub that I've been working on, so hopefully it comes okay. Its really just a modified BBBR. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2870.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	55913
                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if this thread will be moved back to the front page or not, so I may just be writing to no one but here goes.

After I wrapped the flat at 175 F, I left it in the oven at 240 for about another hour. Then I let it sit out for about 20 mins and I drained the fluid and wrapped it in plastic and put it in the fridge. (it was 1:00 am) The point came off about an hour later. I left it on the PBC unwrapped to really get some good bark because wanted to make some burnt ends.

Everything came out great. I served the brisket for lunch for a bunch of the guys after we went out hunting Yotes. (we bagged three so maybe they could smell the brisket) Everyone was pretty damn impressed with the flavor. I must say that I was as well. I was really nervous about this cook. I thought that I had separated the brisket wrong. And the meat was going to dry out. Never happened. It was tender and juicy as all get out.

I would say the best part about this cook was the timing and the extra bark I got from splitting. This cook took about 6 1/2 hours to complete. Pretty short compared to 10-12 hour cooks I've done before on whole packers. I'm really happy that I decided to split this one. You get twice the bark and the cook takes half the time!!

It does make it more fun to cook when you get out of your comfort zone a little bit. (but not too far)

Thanks to The Pit for all your help!!

-John

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	56221

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here