Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket for a big pool party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket for a big pool party

Cooking another full packer brisket on the PBC today.
    the internal temp quickly came up to 154deg and stalled. Seems normal so far. Has been stalled for about an hour then the internal temp began to drop. From 154 to 151. I’ve never seen this before.
    the pit temp is oscillating between 225 and 232 which is a bit lower than the 260 it was riding at.
    i suppose it’s evaporating.
    many thoughts?

I've had stalls drop a few degrees, no problem... could also have your probe in a fat pocket?

Comment

I’ve heard of this before. Occasionally when a brisket is in the stall, the IT can drop some, because of the evaporative sweating. It shouldn’t drop too much though, I wouldn’t worry about it. You can try and raise your temps a little if the stall lasts too long.

Comment

Crack the lid and kick the heat up a bit if you want to power through the stall a little faster. I like to keep the ambient temp pretty steady throughout the cook, and not let the food be the boss of it.

That said, I always use 2 ambient probes positioned across the barrel from each other and take the average. I almost never have to mess with adjusting the temp that way. The temp readings on the two probes can differ by as much as 40° to 60° from each other, depending on what's in the barrel and the stage of the cook. They usually differ more in the early hours of a long cook and come closer together as the cook progresses.

Enjoy your cook today!

Kathryn

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        What are the chances? We all 3 posted at the exact same time….😂

Stall- evaporate cooling (latent heat of vaporization) that uses up energy is matching the latent heat of condensation that releases energy

Temp drops a little- evaporative cooling is outpacing the latent heat of condensation

Brisket drops to the outside temperature- your fire died

Comment

I just pulled a brisket off my PBC this morning, and I also had a drop in temp after it hit the stall. Not the first time I've seen that. Trust in your method and you'll be good.

Comment

I would focus on getting that smoker temp back to where ya had it. Everything sounds normal to me, as your brisket IT dropped when your smoker temp dropped. Part of the challenge ya know.... steady temps. Check the fuel, more air, sometimes a little wood or fat will help get the temps climbing.

Comment

Put a stick in it.

Under the lid that is. Crank that temp up! 274* is where I like to go.

Comment

Install a VENTA on the lid.

Vector Engineered Northward Temperature Apparatus

Allows the fine tuning of higher temperatures.

Comment

By the way,
                thanks for all the advice on this.
                Everything turned out great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here