Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket trim and cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket trim and cook

I'm interested in how to what extent other PBC users trim and smoke their briskets. I do a 'backyard trim' similar to what you see on Arnie Tex on YouTube. My questions:
    • Do others use a similar trim as Jeremy Yoder on Mad Scientist or Bradley over at Chuds BBQ?
    • Anyone just smoke on the grate? Fat side up or down?
    • Anyone try the foil boat method?
    I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery and am looking forward to getting back to using my PBC.

Fat side towards heat source... all the rest, do whatever ya want

Comment

I'm not sure if this helps, I have a Traeger, but I always cook with the fat cap down toward the heat source. I personally think this makes for a better presentation and a better smoke ring.

If I remember correctly, Harry Soo has a YouTube video of a brisket cooked on a PBC.

Comment

I would hang for about 5.5 hrs, then to the grate fat cap down first, then flat side until barked up. Full wrap.

Comment

• bbq_esq
          bbq_esq commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod - what kind of trimming do you do? I have followed the info in many of your posts so interested in your opinion on this.

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          bbq_esq heavy, like Chud's BBQ plus I clean out the fat between the two muscles to some degree.
          The Walmart briskets can be a little tough in there with hard fat. I like to keep a little fat on the fat cap side, even the point, up to 1/4".

Thomassen , I trim brisket packers to about 1/4 inch fat and keep the point and flat together, hanging point end up on the PBC until time to wrap when it goes to the grate to finish up.

Haven't tried the boat method yet, but I'd like to.

I hope you're recovering well from your surgery and are soon able to start slinging charcoal bags and briskets around with ease. Best wishes for that.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; March 15, 2023, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• Alan Brice
          Alan Brice commented
          Editing a comment
          Wut she said. PBC x 3 ; - ) (oh yeah, dbl hook that bad boy n pull to grate after stall/set.)

1. Trim fat cap to about 1/4”-1/2”.
        2. On grate, fat cap down.
        3. Place a wood chunk under center of the fat cap. The wood pushes the center of the meat up so that there is no pooling of juices on top of the meat, thus retarding bark formation and smoke adherence.
        4. Only spritze after rub has set, or you’ll wash off the rub.

Comment

I usually separate the point and the flat. They cook at different rates and I find that I can get a better over all cook that way.
          I trim the point all the way down to the meat. There is plenty of fat in the meat and there really is not need to for the extra fat.
          The flat gets trimmed down to about 1/4-1/2 inch of fat. I like to leave a good band of fat, as it tends to be a little drier in the flat.
          I always hang my briskets so the question of fat cap up or down is redundant in my case.

I am not a big wrap guy or boat guy. I let the meat cook unwrapped until I have the color I like. That is usually at about 185 F or so. AT that point, I will wrap it up just to push it through the to the end of the cook. I love to have that nice bark developed, I think the boat and wrapping early methods hinders this process.

Comment

• Thomassen
            Thomassen commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you wrap with foil or butcher paper?

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I wrap with foil. I like to drizzle them drippins' over the sliced meat at the end! Thomassen

I really liked the foil boat method. Felt like it protected the flat to some degree. But definitely let it go until the bark is how you want it.

Comment

• Thomassen
            Thomassen commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you use the foil boat method with your PBC?

• bbq_esq
            bbq_esq commented
            Editing a comment
            I did it on a recent one for the first time. I liked the result, though the flat was still a bit dry. It was a choice packer, not prime. I liked how the bark turned out vs a full wrap. I have never tried butcher paper. I think my biggest takeaways from the last cook were (1) foil boat (2) SPG rub and (3) loooong heated rest. I held mine for like 15 hours between the oven/faux cambro.

I have done foil boats on my Yoder, and they have come out moist, barky and delicious.
          Since I am new to Pit barrels(started July 4th this year) I have only did a small brisket on the PBC, just to try it. I wrapped in foil. Everyone liked it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here