Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting issue with the Pit Barrel Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting issue with the Pit Barrel Junior

I purchased a beautiful looking 9 lb. pork butt and cooked it today. It is the first time I'm using Royal Oak lump charcoal in my PB Jr. instead of Kingsford briquets.

There was no problem lighting the pit, but after a couple hours, I found that the charcoal slowly started to burn out to the point I had to add another 8-10 pieces of lump. When I took it off at 160° to wrap it in butcher paper, the circumference of the butt got even larger. The temperature started to drop and I removed the rebar to get it back up to the mid-200s, but again the temp started to drop. Finally, I cracked the lid to get the temps back up and finished the cook. For the record, the butt was outta this world!

So the lesson I learned today is that for a small family, the PBJ is ideal. I've had a dozen successful cooks since I bought the PBJ this summer. On those occasions when you want to cook more quantity or mass, either the meat has to be halved, or I need to invest in a PBC. Airflow is critical.

I could have hung the butt to avoid this blocking issue, but I was concerned that the meat would be so tender that it might just fall off the hook and into the fire. Anyway, I wanted to wrap it, so hanging wasn't really an option.

Alls well that ends well, and after 11 hours of cooking to 203° and an additional rest of 2 hours, the result was spectacular! Next time I'll know better than to buy a such a large chunk of meat.

Nice Job!

I always cut larger butts in half. More bark!

PBJ, PBC, PBX!

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      PBJ, Peanut butter and jelly
      PBC, Peanut butter, and Crackers
      PBX, Peanut, and butter Xylitol
      PBR! Taste great; costs less

Since you sometimes need more capacity, you should get yourself a Bronco, and you can compare the two leading budget barrels side by side.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      And be able to control temperature more readily/easily.

That's odd. I do 10 lb. butts on the grate in Junior, and I've never had an airflow issue.I always use KBB, though, since it's reliable and I know how it works in the cooker. I stopped hanging butts when I had one fall into the fire, and you pretty much have to go to the grate around 170 anyway or it will fall.

Comment

I throw a couple of loops of cooking twine around butts I'm hanging. Once I started doing this, I never again had a problem with unplanned sacrifices to the fire gods. I believe that fzxdoc uses silicone bands for the purpose.

Comment

You can always split them up as others have mentioned. That always cuts down on cook times.

I will say this. I have enver had good luck with Royal Oak. Personally, I think that stuff is trash lump. I don't buy it any more. Use a higher quality fuel like B&B Charcoal. Never had any issues with B&B. Even Cowboy is better than Royal Oak.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. I used Royal Oak once. There were bolts and stuff in the bottom of the bag. I gave it away.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here