Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket Ever - PBC Overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket Ever - PBC Overnight

I'm horrible at only changing one variable at a time. This is my first brisket ever, and why not do it on an overnight cook on the PBC (which is a first also)? It's a 12.5lb Prime from Costco. Looking back I probably over trimmed this one a bit but I learned a lot watching videos here and Franklin's videos.

Start: PBC runs hot at first so I had to use foil to plug some of the holes. I went to bed and set the alarms on the Maverick.

5-hours: No alarms, I get up to check and temp is holding at 253.

7-hours: The alarms are going and the pit temp is at 200, the brisket is in a stall at 163. I remove the remaining foil to get the temps back up. Off to make a COJ.

8-hours: It breaks the stall, temp holding at 227. I decided to wrap then at 168 and back on the grate. I probably should have let it go a bit longer for bark formation now that I'm typing this and looking at the pics.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Top of the flat is the very last thing to bark up. Typically I'm at or around 180 internal, although I have had some go all the way unwrapped.

That will be one tender sucka, you can see the muscle striations in that second pic.

Comment

On another note, I've been thinking about adding a PartyQ to the PBC for overnight cooks like this. Inspired by Jerod Broussard, but not having the Texas engineering skills I asked them about adapters. I was told the XL Grill Dome adaptor fits well and you only have to perform some minor shaping/bending to match the barrel shape. You have to enlarge the existing hole that holds the circular plate in order to secure the XL Grill Dome adaptor but that's it. Seems simple enough!
      Last edited by dpsphotos; October 18, 2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Cool. I seen one guy with it hooked up like that, on the original exhaust. I just wanted to use mine for supplemental O2 for full barrel cooks. Works really well.

Comment

Brisket looks great --
          I used to be afraid of the brisket -- but they are pretty straightforward on the PBC.

Congrats on a great looking first one.

Cheers.

Chris

Comment

10.5 hrs: Hit 203, sticking in the faux cambro. How long can it hold before ruining the bark? Does anyone firm up the bark on the grill after a long hold?

Thanks,
            Daniel

Comment

You can firm up the bark if it isn't satisfactory right before you serve, but if you establish a good bark before you wrap, it bounces back as soon as you unwrap the brisket and it steams off some.

Comment

Well for my first brisket it was pretty good. We had to run errands (honey do lists) so it rested a bit longer than I wanted. Next time I will let it bark up longer before wrapping. The flat was a little dry but the point was damn good, not much of it left.

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice cook... You've studied well. Not many people pull that off on their first try.

Tipping my hat to you.🎩

Nice smoke ring! Great job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
                Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
                Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
                Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review