Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket Ever - PBC Overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket Ever - PBC Overnight

I'm horrible at only changing one variable at a time. This is my first brisket ever, and why not do it on an overnight cook on the PBC (which is a first also)? It's a 12.5lb Prime from Costco. Looking back I probably over trimmed this one a bit but I learned a lot watching videos here and Franklin's videos.

Start: PBC runs hot at first so I had to use foil to plug some of the holes. I went to bed and set the alarms on the Maverick.

5-hours: No alarms, I get up to check and temp is holding at 253.

7-hours: The alarms are going and the pit temp is at 200, the brisket is in a stall at 163. I remove the remaining foil to get the temps back up. Off to make a COJ.

8-hours: It breaks the stall, temp holding at 227. I decided to wrap then at 168 and back on the grate. I probably should have let it go a bit longer for bark formation now that I'm typing this and looking at the pics.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Top of the flat is the very last thing to bark up. Typically I'm at or around 180 internal, although I have had some go all the way unwrapped.

That will be one tender sucka, you can see the muscle striations in that second pic.

Comment

On another note, I've been thinking about adding a PartyQ to the PBC for overnight cooks like this. Inspired by Jerod Broussard, but not having the Texas engineering skills I asked them about adapters. I was told the XL Grill Dome adaptor fits well and you only have to perform some minor shaping/bending to match the barrel shape. You have to enlarge the existing hole that holds the circular plate in order to secure the XL Grill Dome adaptor but that's it. Seems simple enough!
      Last edited by dpsphotos; October 18, 2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Cool. I seen one guy with it hooked up like that, on the original exhaust. I just wanted to use mine for supplemental O2 for full barrel cooks. Works really well.

Comment

Brisket looks great --
          I used to be afraid of the brisket -- but they are pretty straightforward on the PBC.

Congrats on a great looking first one.

Cheers.

Chris

Comment

10.5 hrs: Hit 203, sticking in the faux cambro. How long can it hold before ruining the bark? Does anyone firm up the bark on the grill after a long hold?

Thanks,
            Daniel

Comment

You can firm up the bark if it isn't satisfactory right before you serve, but if you establish a good bark before you wrap, it bounces back as soon as you unwrap the brisket and it steams off some.

Comment

Well for my first brisket it was pretty good. We had to run errands (honey do lists) so it rested a bit longer than I wanted. Next time I will let it bark up longer before wrapping. The flat was a little dry but the point was damn good, not much of it left.

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice cook... You've studied well. Not many people pull that off on their first try.

Tipping my hat to you.🎩

Nice smoke ring! Great job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here