Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gateway Drum vs PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway Drum vs PBC?

Always on the lookout for my next smoker, I am really interested in these drum smokers. The two I am eyeing are the Gateway Drum and PBC. Both appear to be very capable cookers.

I realize starting threads like these is risky because everyone has different tastes, needs, opinions, etc, so what is better for Bob might not be better for Jim, But I just wanted to get some first-hand opinions/shared experiences from those who have experience with drum smokers.

For those who have cooked on both or at least have some familiarity with both, what are the pros and cons of each? If you had to buy one, putting cost aside (I realize the Gateway costs a lot more), which one would you choose and why?

The Gateways are really nice. Lots of capacity and they seem to do a really nice job of cooking on the competition circuit. I have never personally used one but I know a few people that really love the ones they own.

As for the PBC, I won two of them. They are really great cookers. Between the capacity, ease of use, foot print and price. I think they are hard to beat, IMHO. The set up is really easy, there is very little to do in the way of a learning curve and they have a lot of cool accessories to make the experience that even more enjoyable. (The PBC skewers come to mind)

Either way, I think you will be happy. Both of these choices are great ones. It all comes down to how much you wanna spend. Let us know what you come up with.

Comment

I have a PBC and it was a great entry into drum cooking! It produces great results and is fairly straight forward to use. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to try their hand at a drum but doesn't possess the skills or time to make their own UDS.

I have looked at and researched the Gateways and besides the cool paint schemes you can get and the price I think that the ability to fine tune with them is a major difference. They seem to have a few different accessories that can be used for this and they have the intake vents and exhaust vent that can be easily adjusted.

Most of us that have PBCs are constantly trying to tinker with them to find ways to better control the temperature. We are putting foil over holes, cracking lids, modding and adding additional exhaust holes, pulling rebar, etc.... The Gateway has that functionality built into it.....
      Last edited by Nate; July 31, 2018, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        If I were in the market, you just sold me on the Gateway!

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF , if we weren’t so obsessive about temps and just let it rode like Noah preaches then it would be pretty straight forward. Lol

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Control freaks like to relax too!

I have the PBC and absolutely love it. Like Spinaker says, the ease of use and learning curve is minimal. However, that Gateway looks awesome. Love the wheels. I watched a few of their videos and wonder if it's optimal design is for using lump coal only? The PBC is designed for KBB. It's probably just a partnership type a deal.

Comment

• TBoneJack
        TBoneJack commented
        Editing a comment
        Royal Oak briquettes also work well in the PBC. That's all I use of late.

I have the PBC, its my go to for brisket, ribs and whole chickens. Once you figure out how to light your fire just step back and let it go. If you are a tinkerer don't get the PBC. We see new owners getting frustrated because they can't get it to hold 225*.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m a hot and fast guy, so 225 isn’t necessary.

My decision, if I were in your situation, would be between the size of the drum. If I'm good with a 30 gallon and the large amount of food I can cook on it, I'd go with the PBC instead of the 30 gallon Gateway. Maybe it isn't quite as fancy or controllable as the Gateway, but it's half the price and puts out really great food. If I was looking for something bigger, I'd go with the 55 gallon Gateway.

I think CandySueQ said something similar after trying out her Gateways, but I could be mistaken.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I did! I don't have a PBC, but I do have a 55 and a 30 Gateway. Love them, except when I'm trying to get the 55 in the back of the van. 30 gallon is much easier. However, a 22" Weber Smoky Mountain is even easier to transport than the Gateway 30 and function is quite similar.

I spent a lot of evenings looking at building a UDS or buying a PBC myself in the Spring, and unfortunately, or fortunately, my MCS has settled down some and I am more content with the cookers I do have (748 sq inch offset, Weber Peformer Deluxe w/ SNS+DNG+Grillgratres and Weber Genesis w/ Grillgrates). I then had a time crunch with a heavy load at work that took doing a UDS build out of the equation, and this summer I've been hit really hard with extra expenses, so the PBC went out the window too.

That said, I think I would buy the PBC, as it has these advantages:

1. Porcelain enamel finish
      2. Set and forget. I.e. set the intake based on your altitude, and no other adjustments.
      3. NO TEMPERATURE ADJUSTMENTS TO WORRY WITH!
      4. Cooks most foods faster (due to running hotter), but it works out well because its also a more moist environment inside the barrel than with most smokers.
      5. fzxdoc and others have published lots of cooking times and other info for you here in the forums.

The DOWNSIDE to the PBC is only:

1. 30 gallon drum has less capacity than 55 gallon drum of Gateway barrel. However, if using a standard gateway build and not hanging, I almost think capacity of hanging in the PBC versus using 2 levels of grates in the Gateway drum would be similar in capacity for things like ribs.
      2. NO TEMPERATURE ADJUSTMENTS TO MESS WITH!

I think the PBC is the more attractive one to me personally, as it takes a little smaller footprint on the patio, is more portable if you do want to load it up and take it somewhere, and I really like the idea of getting the food cooked faster than I see at 225F, while still producing excellent results.
      Last edited by jfmorris; July 6, 2018, 03:16 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        You got it RobertC !

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Is a 22 Weber Kettle Lid a direct fit on a 55 UDS? If so, that would sell me on the DIY.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        JGo37 my understanding is you have to cut the flange (lip) off of the top of the 55 gallon drum to get the kettle lid to sit right. My plans were to use the flat drum lid if I built a UDS myself.

Ok, somebody’s gotta say it department, don’t dance around, git both of em! Now or later, be a true blue PIT dude.

Comment

we have a PBC, a gateway and a hunsaker
        All are good cookers
        If your just cooking for your family only the PBC will be fine
        but the gateway (my comp brisket cooker)
        and the Hunsaker (my comp pork cooker)
        have greater capacity and so many other features

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Hunsaker or Gateway.... which one if you had to choose?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.JPG
Views:	3797
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	528931

Comment

• BRic
          BRic commented
          Editing a comment
          Thom Emery I see you have both smokers , we are thinking of buying a Hunsaker
          smoker . In your opinion , which do u think is the better smoker in terms of being
          better built and food flavour . If you could give me any information on what you
          think , would be greatly appreciated . We have a PBC and love it . we are thinking
          of selling our offset smoker to buy one of the barrel smokers.

• Thom Emery
          Thom Emery commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't pick one over the other
          We do brisket on the Gateway and Pork on the Hunsaker
          I cook on my Southern Pride more than all the others

Take it from a fellow Dawg, you'll love the PBC!

Comment

I have a Gateway and now use it for almost everything. I like the ability of being able to regulate temp using the vents on the tubes. I am able to regulate temp from 225 to 300 with precision using my Fireboard. I rarely use my pellet grill or my Weber anymore, There is a learning curve however using the vents. I have my tubes marked for charcoal and lump at 275

Comment

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a Pit Barrel Cooker that I love mostly for smoking chicken but the Gateway has always appealed to me for better temperature control. The PBC is definitely a set it & forget cooker. You have to be willing to give up the ability to precisely control the temp.

Nate Two very different cookers
          The Gateway I use for brisket
          the Hunsaker I use for pork

The makers of are both great folks

Comment

I have a PBC and a 55 gallon UDS. I love both. For ease and time for family cooks, PBC is awesome. The owners phone number is included and the videos on the site gives you great start. You can start cooking in 30 minutes and that includes set up and heating the coals. I use my UDS when I have bigger cooks and for competition. I love both and you cannot go wrong either way. Temp control solid on both, but you can get lots more variance on UDS. Good luck and happy cooking!!!

Comment

I picked the PBC because I don't have the skills to make a UDS, and it takes up a very small space on my patio (same size as a WSM, but can do about 50% more). I can feed the neighborhood out of the thing, which is as big as I need to get. I'm very happy with the PBC.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here