Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not wanting to open a can of worms, just asking"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not wanting to open a can of worms, just asking"

I'm ready to pick up a dedicated smoker. I need a little more capacity than my kettle/sns give me at times. I have read up on the PBC as much as humanly possible, as well as WSM. Both versatile units and highly regarded/respected cookers in their own right.
    I am seeing the benefit of a fast & hot cook that the PBC offers. Speeding up routine cooks, not a bad thing sometimes. If I went 18.5 WSM, I presume I could I could amp it up for a hot & fast as well if I wanted to. I wonder though, can I dial down the PBC for a low & slow if the urge hit to do so?
    Looking for opinions on versatility really. I always liked the WSM but love the simplistic nature of the PBC.
    Crap.....I'm gonna need 'em both but that'll never fly.

Go to the PBC sub forum and look for "Dialing in PBC temperature". You can go from low and slow 225-235 to high temps by foiling the rod openings or cracking the lid.

Comment

I can't answer your question. I am just pointing out that I love the vintage Weber gasser in your signature. I had that exact unit as my first gas grill. It got a TON of use and the button starter never died. I kept it for about 10 years and decided I wanted a new grill. I sold it for $75 at a garage sale.

Comment

• w0nq
        w0nq commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, overhauled that one a few months ago & it sees a lot of use.

The PBC can cook low 'n slow all day long if you want it to. I get 10 hours out of one load of KBB coals, on average, at 225 Pit temp. You can reload or Texas crutch the meat in an oven. Harry Soo says that it makes no difference whether a meat is Texas crutched in a 225 degree oven or in a smoker at the same temp. I've tried it and I agree with him, so I don't usually have the need to reload the coals. If I do reload, I remove the meat first because adding new coals to a PBC kicks up a ton of ash. I give it time to resettle and then add the meat back in.

Kathryn

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Once wrapped it doesn't matter how the cook is finished. 10 days ago I wrapped and finished 3 slabs of baby backs in my oven because my kettle just couldn't hold temperature that day. No worries. The ribs turned out really good.

PBC is a little more efficient, the WSM is easier to adjust temp, especially since you are used to it. PBC can hold more ribs and brisket, WSM can hold more everything else. You can't go wrong either way, just get one that does for you what your Weber, or the other can't.

Comment

My 2 cents, WSM 18.5 is no match for the PBC. The WSM 18.5 will lose.
        Now if you're considering between the WSM 22.5 and PBC, that's a win win situation.

Comment

• w0nq
          w0nq commented
          Editing a comment
          Either give me more capacity than I'll ever use at one time. I'm leaning towards the simplicity of the PBC really. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be watching for a WSM on CL too. like my toys

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          One can never have enough backyard fire toys.

I had a tiny wsm 14.5 as my first smoker and am LOVING my PBC. I may even get a second one someday. I have mine dialed down to 225 and rarely need to tweak it by just opening the lid to get a little surge of oxygen in there.

I have the PBC ash pan on the way and that will solve any cleanup problems I may have had (didn't have any, used tinfoil).

I was getting annoyed with all the moving parts of the WSM and I love not needing that water pan. Even foil lined it could get nasty.

Comment

I ordered my PBC last Wednesday, got it late Saturday a cooked one rack of SLC ribs, one rack of BB ribs, some sausage, and a chicken in it. Although this is the only cook I can speak of, I LOVED the simplicity of the PBC and the final product (well, except the chicken, gotta' cook that at a higher temp but I was playing so no worries). The wife said these were the best ribs I had ever done and asked if I had sauced them because they looked like they were sauced (I did not BTW). Never used a WSM, and only used the PBC this one time but I am VERY impressed and can't wait to repeat this weekend!!!

Comment

Ah, another happy PBCer, risawyer . Music to my ears. It's one sweet smoking machine.

Kathryn

Comment

• risawyer
              risawyer commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Kathryn! Your PBC wisdom was one of the deciding factors in pulling the trigger on it. Still can't comprehend how it works but I can't wait to keep trying to figure it out. Maybe a practice turkey this weekend, or pork belly, or . . . too many options.

I appreciate the responses. Pretty much decided to go PBC, simple design & can easily push it a little for a "hot & fast" when needed. I have never pulled and wrapped anything, ever. Always have waited out the stall. Also, fzxdoc, thanks for the cook time data in the sticky. I'll use it frequently.

Comment

I loved the WSM, but "traded up" to the PBC. I haven't regretted it one bit. It gives me greater capacity but occupies the same "footprint" on my patio. I just got through smoking bacon and it came out perfectly! If you follow the tips on the PBC threads you'll be up and running in no time!

(wish I could "like" fzxdoc's lighting/temp post more than once...it's been a lifesaver).

I also enjoy supporting companies like this. I really love the personalized logo they put on for me.

Comment

• w0nq
                w0nq commented
                Editing a comment
                That is very cool

Way cool logo!

I'm glad the stickies in the PBC section are helping folks. I'm happy to be able to provide the info.

Kathryn

Comment

I'm a newbie. WSM = Weber Smoky Mountain. What's a PBC?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here