Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A "Not quite pastrami" on the OJB.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "Not quite pastrami" on the OJB.............

So, one of the items around these parts that's not leaving the meat department cases quite as quickly as hamburger and steaks these days is the pre-prepared corned beef. I like to rummage the choices and look for the blockier shaped ones that usually have a portion of point in addition to flat. Since we're well past St. Pat's day I wasn't going to do the traditional boiled/ steamed c.b. and cabbage thing. I've got plenty of pastrami on hand so I mixed up some corned beef style seasonings with a slightly heavier hand on the crushed pepper, thus the "not quite" pastrami. I first dry brined the brisket overnight, then seasoned up before tossing on the Bronco. I built a lump charcoal fire with a few chunks of apple wood for flavoring and dialed the Bronco in at 250.. I took it to 160 internal over the coals, took about 4.5 hours,, and then set it in a pan with some beef broth for another 2.5 hours at 250 to an internal of 200. We were a bit ahead of schedule so I held it in a 170 oven for 2.5 hours. The end result sliced nicely and was fork tender to cut. Plenty juicy though served with a side of jus for taste. The Bronco performed beautifully holding 250-260 with just a few tiny tweaks to the exhaust flapper during the smoke (I chalk that up to my preference for lump, the briquette guys probably could let her rip with no tweaks). And just to lean a bit toward the more traditional St. Pat's deal I served up some roasted Brussel sprouts (baby cabbages as we call them) as a side. I think there just might be a corned beef hash breakfast in my near future as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cb smoked 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	240.6 KB ID:	826669

Click image for larger version  Name:	cb smoked 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	402.2 KB ID:	826670
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; April 5, 2020, 05:36 PM.

One thing I've learned, is if I cure my own with Meathead's recipe it takes about 8 hours to the desalinate, but if I buy it from the store I better go a bit longer than that. Even for a salt lover like me. I've got some in the fridge.

Looks Good!!!!

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen brother, I did about 10 hours of desalinate on this one just to be sure before doing my own salt level preference. Good point you raise.

If you use an equilibrium brine, you don’t need to desalinate. But you can’t do that with a store corned beef. Have to go from scratch.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here