Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs

QUESTION FOLLOWS: Did some St Louis style ribs today; dry brine, rub and cut them in half ... I used a full basket of coals but just lie up one side and added a couple large chunks of oak. I hung those hal-length ribs for about 3 hours and while I checked, they never looked like they might even need spritzing. Took them off, wrapped in foil (with tiny amount of apple juice) and put on top level for 1.5 hours, then removed, sauced and put back on 30 minutes to tack up and they were fine.

HERE IS MY QUESTION: I cut these in half but I would rather cook full length as I need to do 6 racks. Won't that be too long? I dont think they will be touching coals but won't the temps be too hot and burn the bottom? I only use my OJB for chickens and occassionally as a searing machine putting the coals up high

I hang full racks & things are ok unless they are just an inch or 3 from coals. Then again, I don’t trim em to St Louis. I just hang the whole slab. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Comment

I can only speak for the PBC. When shopping for ribs I try to stay under 9lbs for a three pack of St Louies as these are a little shorter than those bigger ones. I place the first hook under the third rib as there is room above the rebar and the lid.
      Good luck!

Comment

I can’t answer your question, but is there any reason you can’t swap ends a couple hours in?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here