Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job mate, looks tasty, unlike my first try haha

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no pics of my first brisket. But it was a dismal failure. Well, unless you like your brisket to be dry and chewy LOL

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine only worked out because I followed the info presented on this site!

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Stuey1515 - Thanks mate!

Great job with your first brisket. Looking forward to more of your cooks.

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! As to more cooks, I can't say they will all be successful!

Very nice writeup, and the photos are great. You knocked it out of the park with your first brisket. Hearty congrats! You'll now be your own toughest act to follow.

About injecting, I inject all the time using Butcher's BBQ Phosphate mixed with homemade beef broth. I use it for briskets and chuck roasts. I don't inject pork butts, but many people here do and swear by it. I also inject turkey breasts with melted butter.

I figure injecting meat that is to be smoked is sort of an insurance policy. It won't save the part of a flat that has stayed to long at the fair, especially the part that is thinner, but you'll have a wider section of moist flat, in my experience.

Kathryn

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I was actually in competition with myself. I grabbed first place but also last 😀 Hopefully the follow-up will be good too. Thank you for the info on injecting. I am looking into phosphates. I was really happy with the bark on my brisket and now am a bit hesitant to wrap the next one. Adding moisture may be the way to go.
      Cooked two PB with a friend. One injected. Didn't like the injected as much. Too much liquid in the pan once pulled. It was runny and slightly mushy. Good call!

DTro , if you're thinking about injecting your next brisket, read this article by Meathead over on the free side:

Forget marinating: inject instead. The truth is that rubs, mops, marinating, brining, and sauces can deliver a lot of flavor to the surface of meat, but if you really want to get salt or flavor deep into meat, the solution is injecting. Here's the science behind it, recipes, and reviews of various injectors.

Back in the day, I used Butcher's BBQ Brisket Injection (which contains phosphate). It also contains a ton of salt. I like to have control over the amount of salt that goes into the meat I smoke. So I quickly switched to their pure phosphate product instead, which I add to a cup of my homemade beef broth. A cup is more than enough. It doesn't take much.

About your injected pork butt: did the injection by any chance also contain an acid like juice, and did you let it sit in the fridge a while after injecting? In my experience, acid can pulverize the meat if left on too long, just like with chicken. Just wondering.

Kathryn

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I will check out Meatheads article. As to the pulled pork- I was not privy to his concoction, but I know it included apple juice. Also, it did not sit but a few minutes before hitting the smoke. You know when you eat Chinese food out of the box and theres those little bits and sauce in the bottom of the box. It looks real good so you want to eat it- turns out you get a bite of grease- The pan was like that to a lesser extent. It was still good, I just preferred the PP without injection.

When you hit brisket nirvana like you did the bar has been sufficiently raised, good job!

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Not having anything to compare it to, I am not really living in BBQ mecca, nirvana is a great description.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here