Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Product. Ended up bringing it inside for about 45 min at 350 in the oven up to 200 degrees.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5174.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1071638
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5175.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1071639Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5176.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1071640

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd eat it.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad it worked out, I was gonna bring ya some fish if it didn’t

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      THAT looks great! Now I'm hungry...

Looks good to me.

Comment

What did you think about the results? Get the taste and tenderness you wanted?

Comment

• CaptGreg
        CaptGreg commented
        Editing a comment
        it was / is good, I am pleased except the time and transfer. I'll work on it.

Your results look great!

Personally, I think if you had skipped opening the lid to do the mopping every hour - which cools things down - you might have gotten there on the amount of fuel you had. Every time you open it, the temp drops, plus the mop liquid cools the outside of the meat, reduces bark formation, etc. It probably takes a few minutes to come back to temp once you close the lid after each mop?

Sounds too like others said to run the Bronco a little hotter in the 275-300 range. That will help get it done sooner as well.

Comment

• CaptGreg
        CaptGreg commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I think I will be running it a bit hotter, I am thinking to add more charcoal next time also, maybe doing a hand placement instead of a dump from the bag.

What jfmorris said.

Plus mopping can rinse off the rub.

I would think there would be enough moisture generated in that barrel by design such that mopping and spritzing would not be necessary. I never mop or spritz meat for long cooks in my PBC and they turn out great. Just a thought.

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what I was thinking too Kathryn - the barrel cookers are supposed to be more humid and moist already. But I quit using mops and spritzes even on my offset 10-15 years ago, as it reduces bark and rinses off spices. Cuts like a pork shoulder has so much fat already its literally "self basting" and it doesn't need surface moisture.

I made another attempt this weekend. I hand packed the charcoal in the basket and know I got quite a bit more in there. 5.5 pound pork shoulder, I ran the temp much closer to 300 degrees. Got almost exactly 8 hours of cook time. NEVER opened the top of the cooker. Internal was up to 195 before i lost the fire and it started to fall back down. Had to put it in the oven again. Is anyone getting a "full cook" on a pork shoulder this size without adding extra charcoal? Is this the way its going to be and I just need at accept it?

Comment

If you start to notice your firing dying, add a few unlit coals from the top and crack the lid to let them catch. No big deal. They should take and then let your temps rise. Sometimes the coals get wet and smothered by the dripping fat onto the coals; and this can snuff out the fire.

Adding a few coals is not that big of a deal considering what it take to run a lot of other smokers out there. When you are working with a live fire like this, there is always a little bit of tinkering to be done. I always run my barrel smokers at about 275 to 300 and the run perfect at that temp. It is perfect for shoulders too.

Comment

• CaptGreg
          CaptGreg commented
          Editing a comment
          question about adding more charcoal. There is no way except to remove the meat, and the diffuser correct? (just making sure i am not missing something.)

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, that I am not sure about.......in my PBC I just take the lid off and drop them in as the meat is hanging. I would cook without the diffuser anyway, Then all you would have to do is lift the grate and drop the coals. That being said, removing the meat, grate and diffuser should not be that big of a deal. CaptGreg

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptGreg Yes, on the OJ Bronco you’d need to remove the cooking grate (if not hanging the meat) and you would need to remove the diffuser plate as well. That is the only way to add charcoal mid cook.

What brand coals? I've moved from KBB to B&B and get much more burn time out of them.

Comment

• CaptGreg
          CaptGreg commented
          Editing a comment
          Kingsford

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptGreg - try B&B - I think you will get more burn time out of them than Kingsford. I do in the kettle+SNS, anyway. B&B you can get at Ace hardware and Academy. Ace, if your local one doesn't have them in stock, will ship to you nearest store for free.

For low and slow or long cooks, B&B. But it's more expensive than Kingsford so if you also do shorter cooks, keep some KBB around for those.
          Last edited by rickgregory; August 23, 2021, 11:31 AM.

• CaptGreg
          CaptGreg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Rickgregory, I will try that next time.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here