Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low cost entry into barrel cooking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low cost entry into barrel cooking...

I saw this in an email from Tailgater magazine and wondered if anyone in the Pit has any experience with it? I like the low initial cost as not everyone can lay out big $$$ for a cooker, but everyone deserves good food.

Outdoor cooks are spending way too much money on fancy grills to cook barbeque ribs, smoked chicken and other meats. These premium grills put a hurtin’ on your pocket book, create tons of hassle, and still only deliver mediocre results. With the Po’ Man Grill and Cooker you get more value, more flavor, more meat […]

Looks like it works similar to the Pit barrel Cooker. My only reservation would be the longevity of the trash can. No bottom damper. Just crack the lid? Not sure about that one. What if its windy, if it rains etc. But for the price....it might be worth it. I also noticed this little excerpt........
    ".......Cheap to operate on plain charcoal and rubbing alcohol alone........."

Rubbing Alcohol? If someone knows anything about using Rubbing Alcohol as fuel in their smoker/grill please let me know. Thats a new one on me..

Honestly, I would save up for a Pit Barrel Cooker.

Comment

I watched the video and the alcohol is put in a small "lighter pot" to start the coals, it should all be burned off by the time you cook anything.

Comment

That's cool, I love the black trash can look.

Comment

I have eaten off one of these before, and the meat was damn good. Is that not the only thing that matters? Rock out brother.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Good food 75% and ease of use 25% I say. You just don't want something impossible to work with. Since it's at market and has favorable reviews I'd say there little risk of that.

I saw this in the Tailgater mailing as well.

Looking at the material, it appears the rubbing alcohol is for fire starting. There is an air hole similar to the one in the PBC, but without a damper. The trash can is steel, not galvanized. Not sure how easily it would get banged up. My PBC has taken a beating for several seasons now with only minor maintenance. I can barely reach the charcoal basket in my PBC without climbing in...I could never reach to the bottom of a full-sized trash can. Granted, their target market is probably generally taller than 5'4".

The description "cheap and cheerful" comes to mind. Would be a great tailgater on a budget, I would think.

Comment

• carolts
            carolts commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, wait...it's actually kinda tiny. I could reach no problem! Looks even better as a tailgater now!

Hope that thing isn't made from galvanized metal. Better ask Max Good about this one.

Comment

• carolts
            carolts commented
            Editing a comment
            Description stresses NOT galvanized.

I have to say - looks like kind of a cool conversation piece. Would have to try it to believe you could control temps well enough for consistent cooks. At $100 it might be worth having just to talk about and mess around with. (That might be MCS talking.....)

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Your post here is exactly, nearly word for word, what went through my mind!

• Bob's BBQ
            Bob's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            So what do you say Huskee? Got $100 burning a hole in your pocket? If prodded I could probably be peer pressured into making the order. Be kind of fun to get a Po' Man thread going on here. How low tech can we get and still produce good results..........

As far as MCS goes, this one can be easily hidden in the "petty cash" fund...

Comment

Now that's what I call a trash can cooker. 😊 Pretty neat. 👍

Comment

MCS wise, just tell the better half you bought a new cool looking trash can. She'll never know. Duh, alcohol is for drinking, not lighting fires. That's what corn cobs are fer.

Comment

$100. That's really cheap. I just may put this on my Christmas wish list.

Comment

I found a video of it in action on Youtube. Thanksgiving turkey. Looked really good.

Comment

Looking like a trash can, it might get a bag of trash thrown in it now and then.

Comment

It looks kind of rickety and flimsy (you get what you pay for) but if it's grate can hold and 18 pound turkey for 3-4 hours....

Huskee said good results and ease of use are paramount. I couldn't agree more.

The way they advertise it is pretty clever.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here