Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

Anyone using a Mixon H2O smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frozen Smoke
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Northern Mn

Anyone using a Mixon H2O smoker?

Believe it or not I've been intrigued by his water smokers. I'm a big fan of the cabinet style and his smokers are rectangle which allow maximum space utilization. I've never used a water pan in my stick burner and never thought I needed one. I certainly have no problem with drying anything out. So I'm wondering if Myron is blowing a bit of smoke on his H2O theory.

One thing I absolutely do not like about it looks like you darn near have to lay on the ground to feed the fire. Actually if not for that I'd be rather tempted to buy his 36" model.
    Just wondering if anyone here cooks on one or knows somebody who does and what the opinions are.
  • mrteddyprincess
    Club Member
    • Sep 2018

I looked at Myron's smokers and came to the conclusion that I can add a pan of water and accomplish the same thing. I think adding the water is a good thing but I don't think you need to have his smoker to do it. A water pan can be added to any smoker.

Comment

• PBCDad
      Club Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Seattle area
      • Pit Barrel Cooker - 2015
        22" Kettle + SnS - 2016
        Maverick ET-732 - 2016
        Thermapen - 2016
        Jambo 24x48 offset smoker (Big Tex) - 2017
        Camp Chef Denali griddle - 2018

PaulstheRibList

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Club Member
      • Nov 2017
      • Northern Mn

The other draw back I have is living where I do. Having to deal with water outside in the winter months can be shall we say a challenge and the frozen water months are longer than the non frozen water months. A water pan in part of a smoker is one thing but his water pans span the entire length and width of the chamber. That's a lot of water with fire underneath it. Just seems to me it becomes a steam table pretty quickly.

Well I guess that's why I'd like to hear some hands on personal experience. I know they have been reviewed here by Max Good and he gives them a gold star rating but that's only one cook I believe.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Lake Charles, LA
        • Started Low-N-Slow BBQ in 2012. Obviously, it's taken hold (in chronological order:
          1.) A pair of Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5's
          2.) #LilTex, a 22" Expensive Offset Smoker (looks like a Yoder Witicha)
          3.) #WhoDat1, a HUGE Gravity Fed Insulated Cabinet Smoker (cooking chamber 3'x2'x6')
          4.) A Full Size Commercial Dryer/converted to Vertical Smoker.
          5.) Jambo Backyard stickburner (my FAVORITE Pit so far)
          6.) GrillMeister, a huge 24"x48" Adjustable, Charcoal Grill from Pitmaker.com
          7.) 22" Weber Kettle with Slow-N-Sear
          8.) Vault insulated reverse-flow cabinet smoker from Pitmaker
          9.) BarbecueFiretruck...under development
          10.) 26 foot BBQ Vending Trailer equipped with HUGE Myron Mixon 72xc smoker is HERE, Oct 2016!
          11.) Opened www.PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com Food Trailer officially in March 2017
          12.) Austin Smoke Works 500 Gallon Propane Tank Offset Smoker, named "Lucille" as travel pit for PaulsRibShack, Oct 2018.
          12.) Opening Brick & Mortar location at 4800 Nelson Rd, Spring 2019. Had a pair of 1,000 Gallon Austin Smoke Works pits, both in RibShackRed for our new place!

Fabulous Backlit Thermapens, several Maverick Remote Thermometers (don't use any remotes anymore), Thermoworks Smoke, Other Thermoworks toys, Vacuum sealer, lots and lots of equipment...

I'm loving using BBQ to make friends and build connections.
          I have #theRibList where I keep a list of new and old friends and whenever I'm cooking, I make 1 to 20 extra and share the joy.

I have a 72XC Myron Mixon, in RibShackRed powder coat.

I love it!

My very sophisciated system for selecting the stickburner to put on the back of our new barbecue trailer was thus:

What's the largest (capacity) stickburner that I can fit on the back deck of my new barbecue trailer? The trailer is 8.5' wide, so it's got to fit and function inside that width?

A traditional offset style would take at least 2.5 feet just for the firebox, then the first 12-018 inches of the cooking chamber is really too close to the fire for long cooks. The highest capacity offset I could find is the Magnum Sniper from Pitmaker in Houston. It fits 3 racks in the cook chamber (all very close together), has a cool door system to give you access to them, and they would put a side-loading firebox door, so I could tend the fire from inside the back deck of the trailer.

The Mixon H20 has a ton more room per square foot of floorspace that it takes up. Nearly double the Magnum Sniper on paper. Functionally, the H20 is triple or more cooking capacity of that particular offset smoker.

The Water Pan serves 2 functions:

1.) It's a great heat sink, allowing you to build a nice fire directly beneath your smoking grates, and not have radiant heat that will scorch your meat instead of smoking it. If you are limited on real estate to park your smoker, this is invaluable. To put it in perspective, my 6 foot wide and 4 foot deep 72XC Myron Mixon can cook as much as my new 1,000 Gallon Tank conversion smokers, that are nearly the same width buy 20 feet long!

I'm committed to a stickburner style smoker. Guys with barbecue trailers on a back porch like mine are basically limited to vault style smokers, Gas-rotissire style, or something like the H20. Otherwise, you can only cook for 100-150 people on a 7-8' long offset.

2.) It does add humidity to the cooking chamber, and that can work to your advantage in some types of cooking. The offset stickburner has faster airflow and lower humidity, even if you put a waterpan in them. That will put more bark on your food faster. I love bark! For smoking Turkey breast, for example, the stickburner puts too heavy of a bark and/or more dried out surface of the meat, making the outer layer of the turkey have too much tug. So when smoking turkey on the offset, we have to wrap them, which I never do on the H20.

The chamber is not super humid. With a big fire, there is a rolling boil on the part of the pan that's right over the fire. The added humidity, admiditly, I don't even notice it.

It seems that ribs cook a little faster on the H20 than on my offsets. The bark sets earlier on the offset, but they seem to take a little less time on the H20. I really need to do some side-by-side tests to verify this.

The H20 is very flexible. I have three HUGE grates, 69" x 33". They are nickel plated, and the wires that touch the meat are thin. This is great - it allowes for a ton of air to be in contact with the bottom of your food. I love this grate system, and want to develop a similar style for applications on my other smokers. The grates are such that you can pull them very far out and they don't bend at all.

I could add more grates, just weld more grate holders. I actually have 4 set of holders for my 3 grates, in case I want to cook a pair of 250 pound hogs on it at the same time.

Downsides are that you have to drain that water to move the pit. I'm a barbecue trailer, so if I go to an event, I have to bring a system to drain that hot water into. And I have to have enough water to run the pit all day if I go somewhere to cook. I don't have your freezing problem.

There are hot spots, like on any pit. If you build a big fire in the center, the back center of the racks, particularly bottom, will get charred. One way around this is to run two, smaller fires on the bottom, one to the right and another to the left. But that's more work, for certain.

Myron talks about how the added humidity tenderizes the meat as it cooks. I don't know exactly what that means, but, I'll say this, adding humidity slows the evaporation from the meat, which may help it cook faster at the same temperature. I'm good with that!

My pitroom in our under construction restaurant will have a pair of beautiful, 1,000 gallon offsets from Austin Smoke Works, and a 1K H20 from Myron. Then I can do a full restaurant day and a big catering event at a time. I like the H20 that much and respect it's high-volume capacity.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	BC2B00B6-30A2-4792-ACA6-638B060AE321.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	611382

Name:	IMG_4295.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	611383

Name:	IMG_0238.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	4.77 MB
ID:	611384

Comment

• Dale Case
          Dale Case commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice write up !

• wcberner
          wcberner commented
          Editing a comment
          I can definitely confirm the humid air cooks the meat faster - I started using a water pan on my offset’s tuning plate which increased the steam considerably and decreased my rib cooks by over an hour. I barely even wrap them now since they stay so moist (and since the bark sets slower like you mentioned).

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          good to know wcberner!
      • Frozen Smoke
        Club Member
        • Nov 2017
        • Northern Mn

Thanks for taking time for the excellent write up Paul that's great information! You are dead on about the capacity of these smokers which is what drew me to them to begin with. Cabinet smokers that are rectangle optimize space. According too the Max Good review they are built like a tank and very high quality and made in the USA which is always a good thing.

If I didn't have the freezing problem I'd probably be ordering a pit from him right after the holidays but I think the winter will just make it to cumbersome to use. I could run a hose to it as I can run outside water all year long but if you don't have a constant flow of water going through that hose the water in it it will freeze pretty quickly.

Then there is the emptying of the water reservoir when finished. I have to do it while the water is still warm. No letting it go until the next day to do it. Wherever I dump those gallons of water in the winter it will leave a skating rink.

So in the end the H2O smoker is a warm climate smoker even though Myron built it double walled insulated the water aspect of it just makes it too hard to deal with here in the cold climes.

I've had my eye on a large trailer rig that's used but local. It has on board sinks and water tanks but they can be drained and not used in the winter months. It's a standard off set large capacity smoker with a roof and awnings. Guess the money I'll save by not buying from Myron will go towards that in spring!

Thanks again PaulstheRibList for your input!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          You got it! Happy Barbecue!

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          You got it! Happy Barbecue!
      • TBoneJack
        Former Member
        • Aug 2016

I attended a Myron Mixon BBQ class 2 years ago, and fell in love with his H2O smokers. I want the 36" model.

I also watched his regular competition crew cook on those smokers. They seem to like them a lot. One thing I noticed is they use the door thermometers exclusively. They do not use an external digital thermometer with probes, so they must really trust those door thermometers. However, each of them carry a Thermapen and use them religiously.

We separated into groups of 4 for our hands-on BBQ prep/cooking. Two of the guys in my group bought H2O smokers that weekend. They were giving free shipping to all BBQ class attendees, which I understand is quite a big savings.

The claim was made by Mixon's salesmen that there is only 7 degrees of temperature variance anywhere inside the H2O smokers. And while I don't believe that, I still like the smokers.

And before anyone here thinks they truly need a large model to compete at KCBS events, let me say this: the weekend I attended Mixon's class, he told me that he was going to California the following weekend to compete in an invitation-only BBQ contest, and he was using the 36-inch H2O smoker to cook all 4 KCBS meats. He said he could easily compete in any KCBS event with his smallest (36-inch) smoker.

I want one real bad. I'm trying to decide between Backwoods (much less expensive), Lang, Meadow Creek, and the Mixon H2O. I think I'm gonna wait and see if the Aaron Franklin smokers ever get to market. I was under the impression that they were going into production this past summer, but I guess there were some delays.

In the mean time, I'll stay busy using my PBC, and my UDS, and my 2 WSMs (18 & 22), and my Kettle with Slow 'n Sear 2.0, etc. The list goes on and on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
        See more
        See less
        Working...
        X
        Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
        Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
        This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only $299 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. Don't accept cheap substitutes.  Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal .

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order