Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myron Mixon Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myron Mixon Smokers

Best bang for my buck will be down the road at Lonestargrillz, but man these Mixon smokers are da bomb!!!

MixonSmokers

Lonestar grillz is just right up the road from me. Never stopped there because I am scared! I'll own one someday. Another dang dang nice pit maker we have here is Gator pits. I'll just have to use my old Texas Original till I can get one of these babies!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Gator Pits is way out of my price range. But that doesn't stop me from drooling over them.

I think PaulstheRibList has a Mixon on his truck.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      He does. Pretty sure it is the H20 wood burning number.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard - I have what I call the mini Mixon. I designed it and Mike Bulen at California Custom Smokers made it for me. I didn't know that the Mixon unit did essentially the same thing - fire hits water pan and smoke and heat are diverted. I love the way mine cooks.

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Awesome tbob4. I think if I went commercial I would load up with Ole Hickory CTO DW's.

Jerod Broussard dude, I think you need more smokers...More!!!

Did someone say #Stickburner?? Yep, the H20 72XC model. The exterior is 6'x3', so the interior racks, of which it comes with 3, are a couple inches smaller.

Think One i love about my big smoker is ALL THAT FIREBOX ROOM! I can run one fire, run it big or small. Or, run two more modest fires, one on each side. I can run one hotter on the brisket side, and smaller and a little lower on the ribs side. I love being able to run a nice size fire. I can get blue smoke all day long!

Fire Box Picture time!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1102.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	335827

There is a big water pan which is the heat sink for the smoker. I picked the Mixon because it was the largest stickburner I could fit on the back of a trailer. The water pan does its job really well. Here is a roaring fire bouncing of the bottom of the water pan.

Name:	IMG_0766.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	335828

Playing with the fire is fun. And photogenic.

Name:	IMG_2760.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	335826

It's hard to pass up an opportunity to show off the fire. This pic has the fire illuminating the firebox well. Oh, and those are our old friends #BoneInBeefShortRibs about to go for a ride in the smoker.

Name:	IMG_2797.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	335829

Here is my smoker on the Factory Floor. She'll never be that clean again!

Dude, you can casually put 10 briskets on each rack...and throw in a rack of ribs in an extra spot...

And pork butts, too. Here are 14 butts on a rack, with plenty of room to spare.

And spatchcocked turkeys...Nine on the lower rack. (OK, one of them is whole...request of that #RibLister.)

The smoker does make a good place for taking pictures, too.

And a gorgeous backdrop for food pics.

Here are 57, or 54, I don't remember and am too lazy to count again, Bone-In Beef Short Ribs.

And a few hours later...Yum!!!

​​​​​​​
    We recently adorned the trailer and smoker with the pictures of barbecue and our little logo.

I think you need one, or two, Jerod!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Good job, getting your bride a good ride first. I heard it written somewhere that he who finds a good wife finds a good thing, or something like that

#Patience #MoreStickburnersInYourFuture

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are awesome photos

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya better order soon Jerod Broussard They usually have a 4-5 month wait list. Mebe if yer lucky you could see it under your xmass tree.

If you're looking at gravity feeds, have been very happy with the Limo Jr from Southern Q. Racks big enough for full size water pan. Can handle 15-20 rib racks with 5th shelf option.

Comment

I do like them too. I have cooked on two different Mixon smokers, they're built like a tank.

Comment

Myron Mixon Smokers are very well made and have some unique features. They blend tradition and high tech production.

Comment

Doing a cost comparison analysis, the mixon would be 2x the cost for 18 sq. ft. cooking area compared to LSG. Plus I would get more sleep with the LSG.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          PBCDad Jambo is 8 sq ft of cooking area, LSG vertical is 18 sq ft, and 31 sq ft with the extra grates for ribs though I would be more inclined to get sausage hooks and hang the ribs

• PBCDad
          PBCDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod so you are talking about the insulated vertical smoker, not the offset, okay. I thought you were looking at something of similar form to the Jambo Backyard.

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          sleep is highly overrated I'll call you at 4:00 a.m. to remind you!

I have owned a MMS-48 for just over 3 years and I love it! The water pan with the automated water fill keeps a constant water leave in the pan and acts as a great heat sink to help keep pit temps consistent. I also use the BBQ DigiQDX2 computer with 2 fans. It makes it sm Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_8e1.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	335997Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	335998Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_6e7.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	335999Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	336000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1040.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	336001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	336002 king almost too easy. Set your temp, build your fire, set up thermometers in the pit and food, and let it work it’s magic. All you have to do is add logs as needed throughout the smoke. It is also big enough for big parties. Only draw back is when I fire it up, I feel the overwhelming need to fill it up. If you have any questions about it, send me a note.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't believe any of those photos are real. Can't be. Perfect BBQ? Come on....... Darn fantastic job and photos. A good cooker is just a vessel for a great cook. Your photos prove you are a great cook. Job well done!

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude!!!!!

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Magic!

Yep the h2o is awesome and loving my 60. Strange thing though I keep getting asked is I'm starting a business lol. First the delivery driver for the smoker back in April, and just recently when I had a 1/2 a cord of hickory delivered as I get ready for the 4th of July. 4 briskets, 4 durok butts, and probably 15 racks of ribs on the menu along with sides.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Those Duroc pigs provide really good quality meat. Nice cook you got prepared, will be a treat for your guests!

Yeah the wife and mother in law had been handing out samples from my cook in April one couple is contemplating buying the house next door now lol.

Comment

Jerod
          For the gravity fed
          Get the charcoal going in the vertical hopper, top & bottom doors open (like an inplace chimney starter). Once lower coals are ready, close top door of hopper. Heat now drawn thru cabinet and once good draw is established, close lower door (make sure ball valve is wide open, don't ask how I know) and hook up diqi Que, set temp.
          I start the cooker 45-60 minutes beforehand so the cabinet stabilize. Then add meat, a 4-6" log or 2. Chute holds 9-10lbs charcoal, cooked burns about 1lb/hr at 250. Almost set & forget except for adding another small log every 60-90min.
          Coming from pellet poopers, which I still enjoy using for smaller cooks, the gravity fed units are simple & a little more fun since you get to start with fire and have as much or as little smoke flavor as you want.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Alright. Thanks. I'm gearing towards a smoker that can chug along for at least 8-10 hrs all by it's lonesome. Smoke alarms set, obviously.

If you're going to spend the money, you might be able to get a similar Gator Pit version a little cheaper and it's closer to you.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Gator Pit vertical is $5995+, almost twice that of Lonestar....

• HJS
            HJS commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah that's what I mean. I think the equivalent Myron Mixon Smoker was about that much too. LSG is the better option. You could get two for one.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here