Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First try of Bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one on the left is an every day that you can mix or drink straight. Hate to say it but haven't tried the 46 yet, drink plenty of makers. A mighty fine picture nonetheless.

Comment

I haven't had either yet. I've heard so much about Buffalo Trace I thought I'd give it a try. The same pretty much for the 46. Something to look forward to.

Comment

I like Woodford Reserve, but don't buy it (one of the other regulars likes to buy me a shot on occasion). My go-to inexpensive bourbon (which is usually top of the list for best under $20) is Fighting Cock (http://www.heavenhill.com/brand/18). I bought the first bottle because of the stylized rooster on the label, the subsequent bottles for the taste. I like it much better than Makers Mark (which is what a lot of people who don't drink bourbon buy for friends who do).

Anchor Distilling (yes, the Anchor Steam Beer people) make a rye that is wonderful! Old Potrero runs from $50 to over $80 depending on the version. I drink it very sparingly.

I'm fortunate to live between two distilleries, Dad's Hat (used to live a short stagger away) and Philadelphia Distilling. I like Dad's Hat barrel aged rye, the clear is a little harsh for me. From Philadelphia I like their salted caramel shine, barrel aged gin (makes an awesome martinez), Bay vodka for a bloody Mary, BF is a big fan of the Bluecoat Gin.

Not a scotch fan, but I have several bottles of primo stuff (one I found out is worth about $250). Though I do have an Abelor Antique I picked up in Scotland that is a mighty fine sip.
        Last edited by Atalanta; August 3, 2016, 11:03 AM. Reason: added URL for Fighting Cock Bourbon.

Comment

Thanks, Atalanta! I'll take a look for that Fighting Cock. I don't recall seeing anything like that on the shelves of my local liquor stores but several of them are okay with ordering for me.

Comment

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not available in PA, I get it in NJ (I work in NJ so it's really easy). I did see it in NY on some Manhattan website so I believe you can get it in state.

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            I was gifted some fighting Cock a few years ago. As a stocking stuffer for Christmas my stepson gave me a bunch of the tiny $1 bottles. I lined up a bunch of them and did a side by side. Fighting Cock was the best of the bunch. Good stuff.

This thread will keep me thinking for awhile as I imagine the perfect storm. A couple years ago during the holidays I found a gift set that included a mason jar and an oak charcoal stave to create hmmm.. I'm not sure what but the idea was to add your own bourbon and the oak stave to further age or flavor the bourbon. Seemed quirky enough to give it a try and after a few weeks in the jar the result was a totally spectacular rather smoky variation. See where I'm going with this? Since many of us have a stash of oak chunks on hand and there are published techniques to make your own charcoal I'll probably come up with another hobby. Great. Just what I need.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm, since I have Jack Daniels whiskey barrel oak, I wonder what happens if I further age some Jack.

Must try.

Knob Creek when I can spend a little more. For less than 20 I get Jim Beam Devil's Cut. When it gets over 40 bucks I do not have a clue what I am missing!

Comment

I just stumbled on to this thread. Mmmmm....bourbon. Don't mind the dust.
            Attached Files

Comment

Go Skinsfan1311! My collection is starting to grow but doesn't look like yours yet. Added this one at the recommendation of a friend who I got together with a couple of weeks ago after not seeing him in, oh, 30+ years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	whiskey_011w.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	224649

Comment

• nickgutnick
                nickgutnick commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a good one, almost have all the horses.

Enjoying this post, and learnin' me some stuff...

I keep several bottles o' Brown Likker 'roun' the house, purely for medicinal purposes... a fifth lasts me like several months, typically...

My well bourbon is Maker's Mark, fine stuff!

I always keeps me some Jameson's around, to make me Irish Coffee with... along side o' some Bailey's Irish Cream!

Up front, and more rarely utilized, would be the Knob Creek, and Buffalo Trace...

Btw, I often mix a 50/50 of the two, and I calls it Buffalo Creek. Good sh*t, Maynard. Give it a try, sometime, an' let me know what you think....

All these are frequently included in my marinades, injections, and sauce recipes...

Still Smokin'!

Comment

I'm more of a single malt sort of guy ... BUT I won't turn my nose up at some good Bourbon. And, since it is fall now ... it's time for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds .... Which means I need to go pick up a bottle of Kirkland single barrel bourbon, a bottle of Woodford Reserve and a bottle of Buffalo Trace. All favorites when it comes to Bourbon!

Comment

For some reason, I find I don't like Woodford Reserve, but the others mentioned are good. I've become more of a Rye drinker of late, but Bulliet makes a great Rye and a great Bourbon, so that's my go-to brand these days.

I had to laugh when I saw that bottle of Old Grandad 114! When I turned 21, my dad bought me a bottle of that as a joke. He couldn't take the proof, and watched me pour a shot with great anticipation. I downed it with out any sort of reaction, and the look on his face was hysterical! Did he really believe I hadn't already been drinking for 3 years or so? LOL

Comment

Winter warm up after I get done shoveling today.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sat morning coffee
                      Attached Files

Comment

• nickgutnick
                        nickgutnick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That stuff makes for a great cup of coffee. Wish I could find it in WI

• IrondeQuer
                        IrondeQuer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I found this in Western NY. I like your price much better!

Maybe this can help, nickgutnick: Bourbon Cream recipe

Comment

• nickgutnick
                        nickgutnick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'll give it a try! Thanks.

Blantons or bookers on the rocks. Warms my skinny ass up on a cold chicago day. Since joining the site ive been working on the skinny part of that. Been told to find some Pappy van Winkel (sp) but its rare and probably over priced

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here