Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whiskey Drinkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiskey Drinkers

Okay, so a buddy of mine has given me tix to the Penguins vs Flyers outdoor winter series, he can’t go to the game and said just throw me a bottle of whiskey for the tix. They are club level tix and probably $150 a piece, going for $300 a piece on StubHub. I am looking for recommendations on a $200-$300 bottle of whiskey.

Single malt? Does he like the pete heavy ones?

Comment

Not a fan of pete heavy whiskey.

Comment

Heavy Pete

Comment

Balvenie Portwood 21 year, Mcallan 18 are two great scotches that aren't too hard to find under 250. Johnny Walker Blue Label is a classic high-end gift if he likes blended scotch. If he's a bourbon Man, you can find some pretty amazing bourbons between 80-150, (George Stagg, Elijah Craig Barrel proof, Elijah Craig 18, Elmer T. Lee single, William Larue..) the more expensive ones will be harder to find. IMHO, most of the best bourbons are under 70 bucks anyway, and 4 of those bottles would be a much better gift than one expensive. If he likes Irish, RedBreast 12 or 15 year or Yellow Spot are all fantastic and around $100 or less.
          Last edited by Flavorsavor; February 23, 2019, 09:15 AM. Reason: Forgot irish...

Comment

Every year, for my birthday, my wife buys me an expensive bottle of Scotch .... in the $200 range. It savor it all year and keep the bottle. So, here’s two of my favorites, plus the one I’m working on this year. And I threw in a 21 year Bushmills Rare because it’s damn fine.

Each of these bottles comes from a curator. The curator .... ALexander Murray, Battlehill, etc .... they go to the distillery, sample barrels and pick the ones they believe are best. Then take them to their own aging room and age them 20+ years before bottling and selling. These are truly outstanding whiskeys ..... no worry about "peat heavy"

You can find these at good liquor stores or package stores .... I think Stacy usually goes to Total Wine here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B6A5E5A5-52E1-429E-B3BA-3CF20316C75A.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	640244Click image for larger version  Name:	C86663C4-B925-4C55-A902-CF7CC092EE24.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.83 MB ID:	640245Click image for larger version  Name:	A330839F-6F75-4A20-8E6F-189FD0F3FF62.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	640247Click image for larger version  Name:	76570760-FA63-4F8D-80F4-6AE9F9A55ECB.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	640246

Comment

The MacAllan 18 year. Walk off home run.

Comment

All great recs above I would only suggest that before you commit to The Macallan 18 or any other premium single malt you make sure that he is a fan of Scotch. Despite the technical asssociation of scotch to whiskey not everyone enjoys scotch as much as an American whiskey or bourbon.
                I would also offer an option of getting him a package gift of a premium rye whiskey along with a small batch crafted bottle of a dry and a sweet vermouth along with a jar of luxardo cherries and some bitters and he will have a fully stocked bar for a great Manhattan.
                You could do the Manhattan package and pick up a bottle of nice scotch, maybe Balvenie 21 within your budget.
                Enjoy the game, I will be watching from the philly area tonight.

Comment

• Bendy
                  Bendy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  By the way all of the above can be picked up in a PA State Store

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  even if one doesn't prefer Single Malt, having a great one in the liquor cabinet for those special times when you need one with your friends is a good thing.

I would recommend something from the bruichladdich line. They make some exceptional non peaty single malts

Comment

Personally, I'd be all over 10 $30 bottles or 5 $60 bottles of whiskey, as opposed to one $300 bottle of whiskey. I've had Whiskey in the $200-$300 range and I've never thought that it was much better than anything I could get for 60 bucks to be honest, at least not from the standpoint of being 'worth' the up-charge. But then again maybe I have less of a refined palate than others. For Scotch, some of my favorite non-peateds are (affordable): The Arran, Glenmorangie; (pricier): The Balvenie Doublewood 17, Oban 18, Bunnahabhain 18.

Comment

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't think I have a "refined" palate ... but I can tell the difference between a 20 year old, curated Bruichladdich and a typical $60 bottle of Bruichladdich 12 year old. Also, who am I to turn down such a birthday gift?

Are you committed to Scotch? Or would a great Irish or Bourbon do?

Comment

If you are talking scotch I am out. Sorry but just not a fan. Bourbon, Irish, Rye, non-blended American, I'm in. A Whistle Pig Rye would be nice if you are looking outside the scotch world.

Comment

Based on the game you witnessed, may have to up that thank you budget, great comeback, free bonus OT hockey, the win and Simmonds last game. Let us know your final decision and his reaction.

Comment

• Oozzy
                        Oozzy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree! Saw the ticket stub and the tix were $285 a piece! I will decide a little later this week on what bottle/assortment to get and let you guys know what I decided. It was one hell of a game.

I’m with Huskee - get an assortment. I’m more a bourbon and rye person myself.

Comment

Given the price range you almost have to lean scotch unless you want to try and get something on the secondary market or an assortment as others have suggested. The Macallan 18 and JW Blue suggestions are good. They certainly let someone know you care. Personally I think the Macallan 18 is much more interesting than JW Blue.

I might suggest you also look into Dalmore King Alexander III. I know some people bag on Dalmore because they use E-150 and they chill filter but man do they make a tasty scotch.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                          grantgallagher commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Im against both of those choices. Not that either are bad, but i think with JW and Macallan you are overpaying for the name vs the product.

• Obi-Dan
                          Obi-Dan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          grantgallagher You are definitely paying for the name and reputation. I think that’s what can make them good gifts. They hit a broad palate and the person you’re giving them to knows you got them something special. I heard someone once call them presentation scotches.

I’ve not had anything from Bruichladdic but I’ve heard everything they make is awesome. It’s on my to try list.
                          Last edited by Obi-Dan; February 27, 2019, 10:29 PM.

• grantgallagher
                          grantgallagher commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Obi-Dan Thats a fair point about present/presentation scotches. I hadnt really considered it like that before

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here