Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a coffee maker they love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ditched the coffee machines and am a pourover guy. Hario V60.

Comment

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you grind your own? Or store bought grind?

• parkerj2
      parkerj2 commented
      Editing a comment
      au4stree ALWAYS grind your own!!

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      Black Rifle Coffee - whole beans only.

I have been using a chemex and aeropress for years.

Comment

Yeah I try not to get too up my own ass about coffee (already doing that with BBQ ha!) but I definitely appreciate nicer beans, ground properly, and prepared right. It really doesn't take much extra time and the coffee is *noticeably* better. Drip machines/Keurigs are fine for when you're running out the door late for work, but otherwise it's absolutely worth it to spend the extra 90 seconds and make a good cup. Find a region/roast of beans you like, either buy a good (burr) grinder or at least have them ground at the place you buy them. (Which means buy them somewhere other than at a supermarket. There is a small business owner near you with a passion for coffee and they will hook you up, same as a good butcher. If you don't feel like grinding your own, get them to grind it how you like. I find as long as they're stored airtight and you use them in a reasonable amount of time, it's not a giant difference between that and grinding at home. Support your local person and they and your mouth will thank you.) You don't have to spend a jillion dollars (though you can, just like grills!) on coffee gear, but something other than the 28 dollar Mr Coffee from Walmart will have you enjoying coffee a great deal more.

Comment

I only drink 2 grande cups and wife 3. This is the absolute best cup of coffee. Simple push button on demand. A bit salty at $500 but worth every dime.

With over 75 years of experience to the name, Gaggia continues its legacy today with a strong catalogue supported by popular machines like the Anima, Velasca, and Babila.

Comment

....keurigs make terrible, terrible "coffee".....dont @ me.

Comment

Simple automatic drip. Remember to descale it and it’ll last forever. I don’t care for the complicated single cup machines, unless it is espresso and then you want the high pressure pump and all that jazz to get the foam. For that I have a nespresso machine.

my hurricane kit contains a stainless steel percolator. That only needs heat, with or without electricity. For single cups just a simple French press is what I grab.

but lately I’m into the cold brew. I dump a bunch of maxwell house in a repurposed 1/2 jug, fill it with water, and let it sit in the fridge for up to a week. Shake it every now and then as it sits. Weekdays I just get coffee at work. My weekend coffee is iced and cold brewed. Getting too lazy to wait for water to get hot!

Comment

It's amazing how many responses this has gotten - people are passionate about there coffee!

I've been drinking way too much coffee, 3 to 4 cups, sometimes much more than that, since my late teens. I take it black, and am sensitive to bad coffee. A bad cup of Joe is not even worth drinking. We have a Kuerig machine for convenience cups, but having had expensive Bunn, Delonghi, and Cuisinart makers over the years, our daily driver right now is the cheapest #4 cone filter pot I could find at Walmart.com, that was also a Best Buy in Consumer Reports a couple of years ago. That said, if you and the wife only drink one cup each, and its not at the same time (my wife gets up an hour or more before me usually), a full pot coffee maker is not a good option.

If I only drank one cup per day, and didn't want to invest in a coffee maker that could wear out like the K-cup machines you have been using, I think I would have to go with the French press or pour-over methods. I used to work in an office with really bad coffee (US Army building as a civilian contractor). I had an electric kettle on my desk to heat water (had to get it approved by building security), and this Bodum travel press:

I would just toss in a couple tablespoons of grounds from the bag in my desk, pour the water in, screw on the top, and head to my morning meeting. After a few minutes, I just pressed down the plunger and drank coffee, which stayed warm for an hour or two in the insulated cup.

I also have a 1 cup Bodum glass press that my daughter uses to make coffee, as she only likes crazy flavored coffees that the wife and I don't drink.

Comment

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, French press if you like the result. Aeropress gives a less... intense, I guess... cup of coffee and would be my other choice for people who only make one cup.

FYI all... you can have a coffee maker that does 12 cups and do only 4 (2 regular sized mugs).

Another thing to consider is that in my experience the grinder and quality of the coffee is way more important to the final result than most makers. I love the MoccaMaster I have because it is engineered to heat the water to the temp most serious coffee people feel should be used (195-205F). Do cheaper makers do this as well? Probably not... but they're probably also close enough for the vast majority of us who aren't judging at competitions, just drinking our morning coffee. But I had the cash too spend more on the MoccaMaster and a grinder so... I did.
              Last edited by rickgregory; January 7, 2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I ordered an aero press. Looking forward to giving it a shot

Comment

I have had and used every kind of pot and machine out there. From mr coffee 4 cup to 3k super espresso machines. My personal fav for the last many years and i dont see myself changing anytime soon as there is a french press and pour over dusty in the cabinent now is the Moka pot (specifically bialetti but there are many kinds). They are relatively cheap, make anything from regular drip quality to damn near espresso and shine at americano style. They dont technically make espresso as they cannot build the needed pressure but they get damn close. I would recommend buying bigger than you expect as they cup size does not equate to the same as the american cup size. A 9 cup makes 2 great quality americano style mug fulls for the wife and I every morning.

Comment

I bought my first Keurig from Sam's Club & it failed after around 1 year. They let me exchange it for the latest model & its been going strong for over 2 years with no issues. I suggest buying your next coffee maker from Sam's or Costco for the free exchanges.

Comment

I have a Cuisinart Grind N' Brew but haven't used it for years. It makes good coffee but is a pain to clean. I currently use a French press every morning.

Comment

My wife has been drinking coffee for a long time, but I'm only ~4 years into it and at my Dr's advice (turns out a cup a day is actually good for your liver per Duke and Johns Hopkins). We've been thru 2 Keurigs (very convenient, but not great IMHO) and a cheap Mr. Coffee. This Christmas, Santa brought us some new toys for our habit:

Cuisinart CPO-850

Its SCAA certified (brews at a specific temp), pre-wets the grounds, and has a shower head. Also very easy to clean. Oh, and fits on the counter under the kitchen cabinets. I really like it, and can absolutely tell a difference in the coffee vs. our old one. We don't love the thermal carafe - it doesn't keep it as hot as my wife would like for as long as she'd like, and you have to pour patiently otherwise it'll piddle like a puppy.

OXO BREW Conical Burr Coffee Grinder

I despised our old grinder - it was too small in my hands, and too small to grind enough coffee at once so we tended to grind a bunch and store it, but I guess it didn't take up much space. I love this new one, it sits on the counter next to the new cuisinart. It gives a lot of control over grinding, is pretty quiet compared to other grinders I've heard, and stores/seals 3/4 lb of coffee beans (I buy Peet's Major Dickason's whole beans from Sam's Club). So we have it dialed in now so we push a button to fresh grind just enough every night, 9 scoops in, and set the auto brew option on - nice hot pot when we wake up every day.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB9F75AD-1D3F-4D40-9578-FF186860B333.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	788538
                        I have an Areopress which I like but lately I been making coffee in Lagostina stove top espresso maker with good results as well. This was on sale and a friend of mine had one and liked it so I bought one. It is easy to use, clean and requires no filters. I only drink one cup of coffee a day.

Comment

Not to run this off the rails too much. What are some good grinders? I have an older Cuisinart now. I like to make my own cold brew along with hot.

Comment

• rickgregory
                            rickgregory commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Baratza makes nice ones. I have the Encore (https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ba...encore-grinder) but damn, it's doubled in price... That site is pretty good, btw, for all things coffee.

• ifican
                            ifican commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I second the encore, we have had ours about 8 years now. Though i suspect any conical burr would do just fine

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here