Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a coffee maker they love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a MoccaMaster like Old Glory and it's excellent. Paired with a reasonable burr grinder (Baratza encore) and I get good coffee with only the occasional cleaning of both.

I really dislike kuerig things since I don't like all the plastic waste and frankly don't see the need. I toss some beans into the grinder, they're perfectly ground in 20 seconds, I pour them into the Moccamaster, coffee's ready in 4-5 minutes. I mean, sure you can shave a couple of minutes off that with a pod but come on, if your morning schedule is that tight...

NOW..,. The Moccamaster, Behmor etc are pricey and might be too much for a casual drinker who's not really into coffee... so then I'd look at something from this list https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...-coffee-maker/. I mean, aside from nailing the temperature of the water, drip makers aren't complex machines. Clean them once in a while (run some vinegar and water through a few times, then plain water to flush out the vinegar) and you'll be fine. I had a 4 cup Krups that worked for 25 years....

Comment

• phrogpilot73
      phrogpilot73 commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't used a K-cup pod in probably 5 years or more. I like coffee too much (roast my own beans), so I just use the reusable pods all the time. I'm a one cup a day (sometimes two), and my wife can't drink coffee anymore - so the Keurig is the right answer for me. Maybe pour over some day!

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Reusable pods are a whole different thing, yeah. Aeropress is nice if you just do one cup too

• RamaJama
      RamaJama commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah we use reusable pods as well for usually a cup a piece for wife and me. We have a couple of local roasters that we buy beans from. much better than the K-cups.

For us it is Behmor Brazen. https://behmor.com/

Comment

Mr Coffee 4 Cup.

Comment

French press or this OXO pour over thing that I just got...mostly because cleaning the press is not my favourite way to spend any time.

I also have a cheap drip maker that I picked up from Target several years ago. Works fine when I need to make an entire pot. I’m only an occasional coffee drinker so the press or pour over just make more sense for me. And the drip maker was cheap enough that if it ever goes toes up I will have no regrets. I too have a burr grinder, no comparison to other grinder types. Just much better IMO...and consistent.

I also have a Proteo Grande espresso machine (rebadged G3 Ferrari Lady Duo) but that’s a different beast altogether.

Comment

Just get a French press and be done with it. Simple, inexpensive, easy to clean. They've been popular for decades for a reason.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            We love both of our French presses.

Cusinart grind and brew. I love freshly ground coffee in the morning. The grinder is a little loud, but aside from that, makes a great pot of fresh coffee.

Comment

• Texas Larry
            Texas Larry commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m with you on the morning grind. I use a little Cuisinart blade grinder that also won’t die. Would like to upgrade to a burr grinder. Dang Cuisinarts!

I really enjoy the French Press. Even more so now that I've added a kitchen scale, manual burr grinder, and gooseneck kettle.

Comment

I use to go through coffee makers. About ten years ago, I bought a Bonavita. It's my day to day coffee maker.

However, on weekends when I have the time, I will brew individual cups using Hario Japanese syphon pot. Kind of geeky but it's fun and makes great coffee.

Comment

Dang coffee makers are like bbq pits, we could go on and on about how big and expensive our junk is. It's like pick 'em up trucks in Texas, the higher you jack them up with lift kits the smaller the dudes are that have to claim a step ladder to get into them !! Here's my solution to the problem....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen, Brother!

My wife calls me a coffee snob cause I do the whole grind my own beans thing and I look down my nose at instant coffee (even though I will drink Folgers instant in a pinch). Since I cut down on my coffee consumption due to that pesky doctors' orders thing, I use a Keurig with my own basket for my daily cup. But my best is made with an old electric peculator my kids gave me around 10 years ago. I think it is a Hamilton Beach model.

Comment

I have had all kinds of coffee makers over the years...Chemex, Bialetti, Turkish Cezve/Ibrik, Saeco Via Venezia espresso maker, etc. Lately I've been using a simple Bodum French Press and a Rancilio Rocky grinder to grind run of the mill Community Coffee beans. That works well and gives me a nice cup.

The grinder is the main upgrade to better coffee. The French Press is neat but I hate cleaning all those grounds out of the glass carafe, and have broken my fair share over the years. I'm thinking of switching to a simple drip maker - one with a hot plate that won't burn the coffee.

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Aeropress is similar to a French Press, but much easier to clean. Just sayin'...

• Beefchop
                  Beefchop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  RonB Maybe I'll pick one up, but I have to maintain a very delicate equilibrium between the guns, grills, and coffee makers I bring into the house each year!

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Only $30 on Amazon....

I have had 3 Black & Decker cheapos over the years, and they all performed satisfactorily and lived reasonably long lives.

Comment

Originally posted by dehook View Post
                  I use a Behmor Brazen Plus. Its a drip machine with extremely precise temperature control of the water. I have had mine about 4 years, no issues, other than it causes us to drink more coffee than we perhaps should.
                  https://behmor.com/brazen-plus/
                  No, the Brazen is just a brewer. It calibrates for altitude, in order to have extremely accurate temperature control. The water temperature as it hits the ground coffee has a huge effect on the taste of the coffee. I can not go back to regular drip machines !

Comment

Originally posted by Beefchop View Post
                    I have had all kinds of coffee makers over the years...Chemex, Bialetti, Turkish Cezve/Ibrik, Saeco Via Venezia espresso maker, etc. Lately I've been using a simple Bodum French Press and a Rancilio Rocky grinder to grind run of the mill Community Coffee beans. That works well and gives me a nice cup.

The grinder is the main upgrade to better coffee. The French Press is neat but I hate cleaning all those grounds out of the glass carafe, and have broken my fair share over the years. I'm thinking of switching to a simple drip maker - one with a hot plate that won't burn the coffee.
                    If you want a french press style brewer that's very quick and easy to clean, check out the Aeropress. It uses a paper filter resulting in less fine particulate finding its way into your cup. Much easier to clean than a french press.

Comment

• Murdy
                      Murdy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As for the filter, the one knock on French Presses is that the lack of a filter allows a couple of oils to pass into your coffee that may raise bad cholesterol.

I was the only one in the house that drank coffee, so when my coffee pot died I bought a keurig. Well, flash forward 10 years and that Keurig is still going strong. Plus my wife drinks coffee now and we were talking about a new machine, so this thread is timely. I do have a french press that I bring out on occasions and do love the coffee out of that thing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here