Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee drinkers, how do you brew yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

double fancy... but I bet your house smells awesome!

Comment

Jus' a passin' thought, but hope some y'all got a backup plan, in case power fails...

Comment

• carolts
        carolts commented
        Editing a comment
        Butane stove, camping percolator, Melita pour-over, thermal carafe. I mostly use the percolator to just heat the water, not perc it. Oh, and I have a small roasting pan so I can roast coffee over the butane burner if necessary. Yeah, got it covered, mostly by benefit of boat gear.

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        Hand grinder, french press. We have a gas stove so don't have to boil water on the hibachi.

For me it's either french press or with a Chemex (my personal favorite method), using nice, fresh Salvadoran coffee!

Comment

Brew devices:

Capresso automatic drip
        Presses, french & aero
        Melitta #4 & #6 drip
        Hario V60 drippers
        Chemex, various sizes
        Mokka pot
        Hario vacuum pot
        Riviera lever espresso machines (small)
        Astoria single group commercial lever (big)
        Sock dripper
        Various plastic drip

Before ya brew, gotta have beans. I've been home roasting for about 15 years. For most of that, I've used an RK drum fitted to a cheap gas grill dedicated to coffee roasting.

Comment

Greetings,

If you are a real coffee fanatic then I suggest you roast your own beans.

Check out www.sweetmarias.com

My morning ritual is grinding the beans and brewing in a pour over using paper filters.

Roasted coffee has a shelf life usually up to 10 days to 2 weeks.

How long does supermarket varieties sit on the shelves?

Un-used beans are vacuum stored in a "Food Saver" canister.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Wit 1 View Post
            Greetings,

If you are a real coffee fanatic then I suggest you roast your own beans.

Check out www.sweetmarias.com

My morning ritual is grinding the beans and brewing in a pour over using paper filters.

Roasted coffee has a shelf life usually up to 10 days to 2 weeks.

How long does supermarket varieties sit on the shelves?

Un-used beans are vacuum stored in a "Food Saver" canister.
            Love me some Sweet Marias, my Behmor 1600 and a nice earthy city roast!

Enjoying a nice Nicaragua Acopio Suyatal as I type.

Comment

Brewed coffee I do either French Press or Chemex with Kinu M47 grinder. Espresso I use my PID'd Gaggia Classic with Pharos grinder. My next acquisition will be to upgrade my espresso setup with a lever machine (probably Londinium R) and Kafatek Monolith Flat grinder or Lyn Weber EG-1. I've contemplated roasting my own beans, but would want at least a Huky 500T roaster, and probably more likely a Mill City North. So until then, I'm happy buying my beans from my local micro-roaster or through third wave roasters online.

Comment

I roast my own beans and make a regular cup of coffee in a DeLonghi espresso/cappuccino machine. I don't make cappuccino, just Cafe Americano without milk, just a little half and half. These types of machines make the best cup.

Comment

I brought back about ten pounds of this when I went on a mission trip to Honduras earlier this year. These two are a gift from my brother, who just returned from working with the same ministry I did. I highly recommend it.... Click image for larger version  Name:	20170831_170411.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	372366

Comment

As a former Coast Guard Radioman, I'm used to being "microwave fed and coffee cooled". I can get Peets at the commissary for half the price it would cost me in the regular store. We have a pretty solid coffee maker, and my wife makes spices based on coffee we drank at an Ethiopian restaurant. Pretty good way to start the morning...

Comment

Any way I can get it. 😂

We have done the keurig, French press, ground our own etc.

It is a Mr. Cofee in my house with Folgers.

I was was addicted too coffee and had some health problems. I just go with 2 mugs a day and the rest of the day is water.

Comment

Does anyone remember how any can of Hills Brothers or Folgers off the self of any grocery store tasted back in the 70's when coffee beans were still hand sorted before roasting? I have been unable to find this taste in anything I have tried. And I have tried A LOT! Does anyone know what I am talking about? And where I might find it? Currently I drink Folgers Black Silk in my Keurig.

Comment

When I lived in Austin, I fell in love with coffee from Anderson's coffee. I live in the Dallas area now, and Anderson's get the coffee to me the day after I order it, and the day after they roast it. A few friends who roast tell me if they could get it that fresh, they wouldn't bother. (Hint, you CAN get it that fresh!)

For years I used a burr grinder and a French press, which I still love, but almost 10 years ago we bought a refurbished Saeco Super Automatic and it's our go to machine. It can make a passable espresso, and anything from that to an Americano. I usually make Americanos. The Saeco grinds the beans, tamps them, brews and spits out the pucks. Cleanup is easy and the coffee very good. The ease of a k-cup abomination, but with fresh coffee you selected and no plastic waste. A coworker has asked for our grounds for her plants. I like that the grounds are being used.

Seattle Coffee Gear has great prices on refurbished coffee makers, and great support.

Comment

Probably your closest bet would be a South or Central American bean that is light to medium roast (probably the latter), and definitely not dark roast. Start with a Colombian, then try some others.

Comment

Love my coffee Click image for larger version

Name:	20170901_125549.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	372670

Comment

• EdF
                                EdF commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That's serious!

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here