Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17th St BBQ - OnQue Consulting Business of Barbecue class (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17th St BBQ - OnQue Consulting Business of Barbecue class (Pic Heavy)

On March 18th and 19th I attended the Business of Barbecue class taught at the 17th St BBQ facility in Murphysboro Il. by Amy Mills.

The class started on Sunday with a Meet N Greet at their Marion Il. Restaurant where we got a tour of the facility.

Monday and Tuesday was held at the 17th St BBQ warehouse which is used for events, catering and prep kitchen for the main restaurant which is next door.

Sessions consisted of marketing, branding, public relations, social media and many other aspects of running a business. As well as a question and answer session with a couple of the managers.

We also learned and got to see how the 17th St. crew preps, cooks and holds the various meats they serve. These session were done by Amy, Pitmaster Phillip and Ricky. We got to taste test ribs, chicken, brisket and pulled pork before. Lunches both days and dinner was part of the class where we got to eat many of the items they serve in the restaurant and their catering.

One of the best parts of the class is getting to know the other people in the class from over 10 different states at different stages of owning and operating BBQ businesses and learning what they are doing, the challenges they have had and how they overcame them, and what else they have learned through their journey.

Amy, Pitmaster Phillip and the rest of the 17th St crew put on an excellent event and openly answered all of our questions throughout the two days.

This was my first time trying Pork Steaks and they will definitely be going in the rotation of meats on the smoker, especially since the local food lion often has them.

The Collard Greens and Grits Parfait w/ Candied Bacon was amazing and I do not care for Greens.

To read about the other places I went on my road-trip to and from Illinois go here...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0667.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	653812Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0668.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.01 MB ID:	653803Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0677.JPG Views:	1 Size:	989.7 KB ID:	653798Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0678.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	653800Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0685.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	653806Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0690.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	653810Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0673.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	653799Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0676.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	653804Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0680.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	653801Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0681.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	653802Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0682.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	653805Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0683.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	653807Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0684.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	653808Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0689.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	653809Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0688.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.60 MB ID:	653811
    Last edited by clb239; March 22, 2019, 11:28 AM.

That sounds like a great time.

Comment

Even if you learn nothing, you gt a free meal Bet it was a great time, and just kidding, bet it was informative too !!

Comment

It was a great time, very informative, and the food they prepared for all of our meals was amazing.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you for sharing the pics.

Comment

Great to see how other teach classes. I am teaching one on Sunday.

Comment

It’s good to see 17th Street mentioned here. It’s also good to see pork steak getting some attention. I have some dry-brining in the fridge now, getting ready to drop on the grill tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Southern Illinois.

Comment

• clb239
                clb239 commented
                Editing a comment
                I did, I didn't get to do any sight seeing but it was a a nice area...

Wow, it's cool that such sessions exist. I would love to go there if I had the chance. I wonder if there will be a similar event this year or if they will cancel it again because of the pandemic. I'm sure it will be cool to hear some useful tips for business. This is never superfluous. I would be happy even to have an online conference, as I have been watching various online management strategies from agencies more and more often lately. Anyway, people have become more likely to present information at a distance, so I think that the probability of this is really high now.
              Last edited by fmustang1981; March 11, 2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Guy named Ted Reader was doing teaching sessions like this pre-Covid.
                Mostly on the cooking side, not the management side.
                Couldn't get into one so many people signed up.
                Lock down is ending on Monday here so maybe he will start his classes again.

Comment

Great pics, great write up, now watch a gonna teach us of whadja learn out der.

Comment

• clb239
                    clb239 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    FireMan even though this was focused on the business side of the BBQ business we also got to see how 17th St BBQ prepares their food using Mike Mills processes and recipes. They way the prepare the meats are surprisingly simple and amazingly delicious.

The biggest thing i learned is simple is often the best way to go.

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed, simple is good.
                    I enjoyed the pictures.

Looks like fun. My son and I went to something similar offered by one of our local BBQ places. It's informative and the tour behind the scenes gives you a better idea of how difficult it is to cook BBQ and keep it ready for service all day long

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here