Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60$ worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60$ worth it?

there is going to be a local amateur bbq team putting on a 4 hr. class on brisket, and some type of pork.
    the cost is 60$ and I'm wondering if that seems to high. I have never been to any type of class and would like to go but not sure if it would be worth it or not....
    ???

Do they have any youtube videos? I'd hate to pay good money to attend a class where they teach myths and bad info. A few videos would give you an idea whether or not they know what they are doing.

Comment

Have they won anything? Affiliated with anyone?

Comment

That’s $15 per hour which isn’t bad, but as JCGrill wonders, "are they any good?" Depending on how many people are in the class you can gain a lot if there’s time to ask questions. Chances are the presentions are basic, but seeing things done in person can be helpful. It helped me to see a demonstration of separating a point from a flat and seein a live reverse dear.

Comment

Save your money and collectively we’ll learn ya, garoonteee !!!!

Comment

I will teach you for half....$30 or free for a bottle of good bourbon.

Comment

I'd say save your money and just hit this group up for info. 4 years ago I would never have tried a brisket, but thanks to this site and this group of great people I can say that I can now turn out a pretty respectable just-about-anything grill-related. However, networking with like-minded folks can be a blessing as well.

Comment

Troutman is right save your $ most of what you need to know can be found out on this site or if you don't see it ask. So much stuff is available on the internet that unless you really need someone to give you hands on help you shouldn't need to go to a class.

Comment

There's something to be said about the camaraderie found in a group of like-minded people enjoying the same hobby, whether online or IRL. For me, a balance of both is good.

I'd say if you can afford it and previous reviews of the classes are good, then go for it. From the experience, you might just make the acquaintance of one or two BBQ hobbyists among your classmates with whom you can share cooks and spin BBQ stories IRL. Might be fun. Plus you may learn a few new things from the class or at the very least find out how the instructors' techniques compare to Meathead's and fellow Pit Member's approaches.

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Exactly this. If they have decent reviews, spend the $60, meet some new folks, have a good time, and learn a few tricks. Would be worth my while.

marshall, Here In Fargo The NDSU Meat Lab, The Range Sience Dept, The Food and Nutrition Dept's and Carnivore Catering Put On a One Day "BBQ BOOT CAMP"❗️ In The Past The Fee Has Been +- $35.00 Including a Lunch To Die For‼️ I Believe I've Went 5 Times Now and Wouldn't Miss It‼️
                  This Coming Weekend the MNBBQSOCIETY SPRING TRAINING SESSION Is Being Held at the "U of M Meat Lab" In St. Paul‼️ Based On The Recommendation Of Spinaker and Skip I Am Planning To Be There‼️ The Fee For This Session Is $175.00❗️ Which Includes The Annual Fee For The MNBBQSOCIETY Membership❓ Not Cheap But Well Referenced‼️ Besides MN Want To Keep The Vikings and The Twins❓ Costs a Lot of Money❓❓
                  Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	503786Click image for larger version

Views:	278
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	503781Click image for larger version

Views:	256
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	503784Click image for larger version

Views:	240
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	503780Click image for larger version

Views:	260
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	503791Click image for larger version

Views:	276
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	503782Click image for larger version

Views:	262
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	503783Click image for larger version

Views:	249
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	503792Click image for larger version

Views:	275
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	503785

Click image for larger version

Views:	254
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	503793Click image for larger version

Views:	272
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	503788Click image for larger version

Views:	252
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	503789Click image for larger version

Views:	252
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	503790
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 23, 2018, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Texas A&M has a similar program. I need to get off my lazy butt and go to one of those.

You could probably learn the same amount or more in half the time of research on this forum, then go buy yourself a super sweet prime brisket, 6-pack of some brews, your smoking fuel, and be all the better for the knowledge and experience gained.

Comment

Kosmo's Q put together a GREAT video series for the 4 big meats...the benefit is you pay once price and can go back to the videos as many times as you'd like. Going to a class, you need to make sure you are keeping good notes for reference later. Kosmo's videos are very well done and he has WON (a lot)...these would be great for a backyard cook looking to step it up! The standard rate for a competition class right now is in the $750-$1500 range...just FYI.

Comment

I agree with most of what has already been said here. The basics are well covered here in great detail. I have learned a ton from this site and from watching Aaron Franklin's YouTube videos, and feel confident in my brisket game as a result. But there is also something to be gained from attending a class in person, assuming the instructors know what they are doing. If this is a brand new thing to you, it might very well be worth the cost, which really isn't that much. You didn't say whether you hope to get some competition tips or just improve your briskets that you cook at home, so keep that in mind, as far as expectations. Personally, I would spend that $60 on a packer and invite friends and neighbors to bring sides, but that's just me.

Comment

The problem with videos is that you can't taste the finished product.

EVERYTHING looks good on a computer screen. But you won't know if that brisket is better or worse than what you are already making unless you can taste it.

Unfortunately, you won't know if the $60 is well spent until you spend it. But, 4 hours? Nothing in BBQ is done in 4 hours. I would expect a full day, 6-6, to get my money's worth.

Comment

• Mosca
                          Mosca commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Steve R. , Will it be better than what you are already doing? Worse? Different? Will it be what you want? I know what you are saying, but the truth is, there are too many variables. Here is Jacques Pepin on recipes:

• Steve R.
                          Steve R. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          All I know is once I read Meathead's instructions, and then watched the Aaron Franklin videos and did what I saw him do, my briskets got a lot better in appearance, taste and tenderness than they had been previously. That method of learning will never be better than attending a hands-on class taught by a knowledgeable instructor. My concern would be just how knowledgeable these guys really are.

• Mosca
                          Mosca commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Steve R. , " My concern would be just how knowledgeable these guys really are.": I agree 100%. He won't know until he does it.

I'm going to vote save your money. I took a two day homebrew course once. It was a waste of money for me, most I already knew, the instructor tied too many on the first night so spent the second day praying to the porcelain god while his assistants tried to keep it together. The only redeeming part was it was some distance from my house and I rode a Harley at the time, it was a nice bike ride.

Experience is the best teacher. By reading some books and, now in this day and age, watching YouTube videos, a half way intelligent individual (your membership here already proves your qualifications) can self teach with practice. fzxdoc is correct about camaraderie, but you shouldn't have to pay for it. Even if it is just a friend and the blind leading the blind the experience is what is going to teach you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here