Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The School of Artisan Food - Nottinghamshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The School of Artisan Food - Nottinghamshire

Hi Folks,

A quick review following my two days at the school of Artisan Food in Nottinghamshire. The school is rated as one of the best in the UK, it offers a wide range of course content and I was attending their 2 day beef butchery course.

Let me talk first about the location and the facilities it was amazing. Set in beautiful grounds the Cook School is housed in a converted stable,. Which itself is set in the grounds a wonderful Estate. Not what you would expect.

The facilities themselves were top notch the area where we spent our time butchering was well equipped and ideal and for the job.

The other facilities including the area we took our lunches was also fantastic,. One of the great things about being in the Cook School was that our lunches we're fantastic too comprising of the food we and others were preparing.

One nice touch, at the end of the day you could pop up to the restaurant and all the bakery students had left the bread cakes etc that they had made during the day and that you could pick up and take home with you for just a small donation if you wished.

A little on the standard of teaching and instruction we had two very experienced butchers not just paper teachers but guys with a combined industry experience of nearly 50 years through genuine old fashioned butchery apprenticeships themselves.

The course was structured very well we essentially went nose2tail on a fantastic Aberdeen Angus Galloway Cross. We were hands on throughout the day under the supervision of the butchers it was a really great way to learn.

I was really pleased, because my stated interest was barbecue I got to work on the fore quarter of the beast and got to remove, bone and trim the brisket and beef ribs, amougst other cuts.

After day one we had a large number of cuts prepared and a nice touch was on the beginning of Day 2 we got in early and the butchers served up a steak breakfast using all of the different cuts including some unusual cuts it was really great 2checkout the different textures flavours and Tenderness of the steaks.

​​​​​​The course is probably considered to be expensive approximately £650 for the 2 day course. However I really believe it is good value for money and because of the quality of the training and trainers the facilities and the very small group in the course you will never b with more than 8 people which means you always have time on the Block as they say.

You also get to take away a fair amount of the beef that you work on. I took away some sausages that we made some rib-eye and sirloin steak and some meat pies I also made.

The course also focused on items like knife care sharpening and honing.

​​​​​I would give it 10 out of 10, I am really looking forward to going back in June for the pork butchery course nose to tail.
    ​
    A few a few pictures to give you a flavour of my couple of days.

@HawkerXP

Artisan Food, Slow Food Production, Bread, Cheese, Meat, Chocolate, Preserving, Pickling, Professional Baking, Butchery, Cheesemaking, Degree, Diploma, Charity

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_085600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	495957Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_085527.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.42 MB ID:	495958Click image for larger version  Name:	20180504_084821.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.63 MB ID:	495968Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_090315.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.79 MB ID:	495959Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_114227.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	495961Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_115123.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.35 MB ID:	495960Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_120350.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	495962Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_123406.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.63 MB ID:	495964Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_120544.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.63 MB ID:	495963Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_154745.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	495965Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_162352.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.75 MB ID:	495966Click image for larger version  Name:	20180504_092556.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	495967Click image for larger version  Name:	20180504_222506.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	495969
    Last edited by MeatMonster; May 7, 2018, 11:55 AM.

Awesome! I can only hope that I have the chance to do something similar someday.

Comment

That looks like a thoroughly enjoyable time, and a great course.

Comment

I wanna go

Comment

You are the envy of the Pit my man. Until, someone else has an outstanding experience such as yours. Your pics were exceptional & we all wanted to be there because of them. 👍

Comment

Sounds great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here