Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnny Trigg Cooking Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny Trigg Cooking Class

I took a road trip on Friday (home Saturday) to learn from the legendary Johnny Trigg. It was amazing! In the process of writing an article for the KCBS Bullsheet. I'll preview it here with photos.

following =)

Comment

Oh yes, this'll be good!

Comment

Yes! Of all the BBQ masters out there, I would love to meet Mr, Trigg. He just seems like a great dude and someone that would be awesome to cook with.

Comment

If I could meet anyone in the competition world, aside from Candy, it'd be Johnny. Still waiting on Meathead/Clint to arrange an interview with him. He's the real deal no question.

Comment

Can't wait. Following

Comment

Definitely following! Can't wait.

Comment

Absolutely following. Don't want to wait for the KCBS Bullsheet to come out to read about it.

Comment

Following too!

Comment

Following also

Comment

I'm going to put this up here in installments! Finished document is too big.

Lessons from a Legend
                      Smokin’ Triggers Cooking Class – Hammond, LA

By Candy Weaver

On Friday, July 21st, about 60 eager learners gathered to learn the art of competition barbeque from Johnny Trigg, chief cook of team Smokin’ Triggers. Johnny is an honoree of the Barbeque Hall of Fame, winner of BBQ Pitmasters, 2 time Grand Champion of the Jack Daniel’s Invitational Barbecue Contest among many, many other honors.
                      The class was held at Alack Culinary Equipment & Supplies Superstore. Alack has room in the back dedicated for culinary teaching. There were no bad seats for Johnny’s class. There were television monitors mounted up high that showed every detail of the action up front.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	JTpix1.JPG
Views:	2801
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	352389

Comment

Number 2

Johnny started on Friday morning trimming brisket and pork butts, interspersed with tales of burnt ends, money muscles and contest memories. After trimming the big meats were seasoned before moving on to trimming ribs.
                        Johnny didn’t hold back anything! Seasonings, methods, timetables, he covered it all and answered questions from anyone there.
                        Before lunch was served, Craig Sharry, Texas Pepper Jelly and also president of IBCA, went into great detail on how he cooks an IBCA half chicken. Since some folks were there from Texas and cook IBCA, Craig’s information was very valuable.
                        A delicious meal of gumbo, Cesar Salad and bread followed. Tommy, chef and owner of Tope-La Restaurant in Downtown Hammond did the catering.

Name:	JTpix4.JPG
Views:	2825
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	352392Click image for larger version

Name:	JTpix6.JPG
Views:	2807
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	352393

Comment

Number 3

Johnny lit his Jambo J-5 early on Saturday morning. Any attendee who wanted to get up at 2:30 am was welcome to be there. Several folks were there to observe (not me!). My arrival was at 6:30 am and it was time to wrap. Ribs were seasoned and put on the Jambo to cook. Alack’s loading dock was full of Jambo Pits (http://www.jambopits.com). Barry, Bayou Boogie BBQ, brought his J-3 over to cook too. Johnny was cooking lots more barbeque meat than at a contest so that everyone in the class could taste his product.

We learned exactly what’s in all those blue bottles!

Name:	JTpix3.JPG
Views:	3028
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	352396

Comment

• fzxdoc
                            fzxdoc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            And that would be liquid Parkay margarine in those blue bottles, CandySueQ ?

The End!

Name:	JTpix5.JPG
Views:	2829
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	352399
                          Trish Trigg gave a presentation on garnish in turn-in boxes. As the meat was cooked, the class got the full feel for how a turn-in box is built to be judged. Then we all got to judge!

All in all, I’d give this class a 9-9-9! Even after cooking as long as I have (not nearly as long as Johnny!), I learned things that will be of use to me in competition going forward. If you are a competition cook or wannabe cook, take a class! It is money well spent.

Comment

What is the cost of a class like this?

Comment

• CandySueQ
                              CandySueQ commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It ranges from $300 up to $1000 for Myron Mixon or Tuffy Stone or Travis Clark.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here