Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Southern Thunder BBQ Cooking School - Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Thunder BBQ Cooking School - Review

Yesterday (June 24, 2017), I attended the Southern Thunder BBQ Cooking School in Marietta, Georgia (just outside Atlanta). I enjoyed it so much, I'd like to write a review in case anyone might be interested in attending. The school is designed for backyard enthusiasts as well as aspiring professional competitors.

At this point, I'd like to mention that I'm not receiving any compensation for writing this review. The cooking school staff doesn't even know I'm writing this.

I found reference to the school on the KCBS web site. I had previously attended a BBQ cooking school hosted by a nationally known BBQ competition professional, only to be left disappointed by extreme disorganization, very uncomfortable accommodations, and high cost. I was frustrated and wanted to try an alternative, and I'm glad I did.

Southern Thunder is first and foremost a professional BBQ cooking team, and have won numerous KCBS Grand Championships. The team/school operator is Mr. Pete Warner, who is also the CEO of Linkup Technologies. The chief cook is Mr. Rick Pasch, who is also a professional musician. The third member of the team is Mr. Dave Weiss, who showed us his competition-winning chicken techniques and twists.

It's a one-day (Saturday) school that begins at 7:30AM and ends at 6:00PM. The cost is $249 for an individual, or $399 for a pair. Included are breakfast (biscuits, pastries, fruit), lunch (chicken, pork loin), and dinner (ribs, brisket slices, burnt ends, sides, desserts). Students also receive a free apron. Soft drinks are complimentary. They also have beer ($2) and wine ($3) available for purchase, or you can bring your own. You can even bring your own smoker if you wish.

Accommodations were above expectations. The school house was roomy, air-conditioned, and comfortable (heated in winter), with clean restrooms. All instructors were very nice and approachable, and the support staff was friendly and helpful. All four KCBS meats (chicken thighs, spare ribs, pork butt, brisket) were covered in detail, along with pork loin, whole chicken, and lollipop chicken (legs). All students received a nice printed manual complete with color highlighting and color pictures, showing and explaining the exact steps that were covered in class. The manual also included exact recipes for all all rubs, brines, and sauces we used (the same ones they use in their professional competitions). Nothing was hidden.

The class included "classroom" instruction, with lecture and overhead projection presentation while we followed along and jotted down side notes in our manuals. It was very organized and included hands-on "lab" work, as we prepared all meats for smoking. We trimmed, injected, and rubbed all the meats (if I can say that with a straight face), and placed them on the smoker(s).

We used a variety of smokers: Weber WSM (22.5"), Backwoods Smoker, Big Green Egg, and a large stick-burning Expensive Offset Smoker (EOS).

Lunch and dinner included the meats we smoked, plus some nice side dishes and desserts, the recipes of which are included in the student manual. Plus, each student was allowed to bring a guest to dinner.

The team/school operator (Mr. Warner) also mentioned that this web site (AmazingRibs.com) is his go-to reference for all things BBQ. He spoke very highly of the web site.

I'm a KCBS Certified BBQ Judge (CBJ), and while all the food was excellent, I was especially impressed with their chicken thighs, spare ribs, and brisket burnt ends, all of which would have received perfect scores from me in a competition.

Their web site is: http://www.southernthunderbbq.com/

The new Atlanta Braves stadium (SunTrust park) is only 15 minutes from the BBQ school, and I used the occasion to attend a Friday night Braves game with my son (they won), and we attended the BBQ school together the following day. If you're ever in the area, also consider trying Pappadeaux's Seafood Kitchen (Cajun seafood) for dinner one evening. We did, and it was memorable.

http://www.pappas.com/restaurants/pa...afood-kitchen/

I highly recommend the Southern Thunder BBQ Cooking School. And again, I'm not being compensated for this review.
    Last edited by TBoneJack; June 25, 2017, 01:37 PM.

Awesome review! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

Sounds like it was a great experience all around!

Comment

That sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the review!

Comment

Thanks for this.

Comment

Great review!

Comment

Muchos thanks, nice review!

Comment

TBoneJack, Clear, Concise and Informative! 👍👍👍👍👍 Thank You, Sir!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I visit Savannah yearly for work. Sounds like a nice side trip for the future. Thanks for the review.

Comment

Great write up. It sounds like a lot of fun and one that would be invaluable because of the different BBQ's used.

Comment

Pit Wit 1 . Tbone really seemed to really like it!

Comment

Hey guys your time is appreciated responding to my inquiry.

My plans are to attend the school in the future.

Best regards,

Pit Wit 1

Comment

Great review TBoneJack !!! Thank you for taking the time to enlighten us. Now I have to figure how to convince my wife we need to take a trip to Hotlanta.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigar View Post
                            Great review TBoneJack !!! Thank you for taking the time to enlighten us. Now I have to figure how to convince my wife we need to take a trip to Hotlanta.
                            Tell her about the brand new, state-of-the-art Braves ballpark nearby. We attended a Friday night game on our trip, and it was awesome.

Tell her about Papadeaux's Seafood Kitchen nearby. We ate there before the Braves game, and it was to-die for.

Tell her about all the great BBQ she will eat at the BBQ school, and how you'll be duplicating it for years to come.

Case in point, and this is no exaggeration: over the 4th of July, I cooked pork butt by the exact recipe we learned in the BBQ school. And my wife, my son, his girlfriend, his best friend and wife ALL told me personally that it was the best pulled pork they had ever eaten. And that's a true account. It was so good and tender and moist and sweet with a little finish heat that I decided not to serve any sauce on the sandwiches I made them. NO BBQ SAUCE. And it was memorable.

The guys at the BBQ school are so cool that they have invited me to cook with them at their next event (Pigs & Peaches) in Kinnesaw (Georgia) on August 26th. I can't wait. The BBQ school was excellent, but actually cooking with them will be a learning experience I'll never forget, I'm sure.

Comment

• kmhfive
                              kmhfive commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's a great opportunity! Enjoy that experience.

Great review! I'm signing up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here