Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuffy Stone BBQ School???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuffy Stone BBQ School???

Has anyone attended Tuffy Stone BBQ School and what was the experience like? Just noticed that he has a class in Richmond, VA (only 90 mins from me) in Aug. Would like to attend but looking for a few reviews. Thanks!

I can't imagine not getting a ton of great info from that dude.

Comment

Having seen him on TV a few times it would seem like it would be like going to baking school with Breadhead. They both have a systematic way of doing things and figuring out what goes right and wrong with a process. They seem to know what variables will produce what results. I would sign up in a heartbeat and would take copious notes.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        You start feeling like a real bread maker once you can look at a finished loaf of bread that isn't perfect and you instinctually know what you did wrong and know exactly how to fix it on the next loaf. My mentor did that for me when I sent him a picture of a bad loaf, and I like playing it forward.

My last comp my friend Matt, (You Qued me all night long) who was camped next to us, went there last year from Wyoming. Low and behold he won GC at beer boats and bbq in pueblo co. You won't be disappointed, I can tell you that much. He shared a couple things with me and I wished I could go. Travel expenses for the wife and I are more then the class from Colorado.

Comment

Just go.... then you can write a review for us

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect answer!

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          #Agreed

• Gunderich_1
          Gunderich_1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I will second, third, and fourth that! I wish I were closer.

Well, it's only 30 min from home, but at $750, it's too steep for me. I get a whole year here for $24.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Too steep? Haven't you ever heard of a .38 and a liquor store?

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          lolol

Cmon Ron. Take one for the team. Don't think of it as 750 bucks. You're gonna amortize it on behalf of 20k pit members. You can share all the good intel w all of us for the low low cost of about $.04 per person. Soooooo... you down?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Down and out...

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh my, $750...? I'll give a bread making seminar of $99,🤗 I'm going for volume...

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead - good pun!

I believe that Tuffy's class would be wonderful. The cost used to be $1000. I fully expect that at $750 everyone attending will get their money's worth.

The year that Cool Smoke won RGC at Memphis in May, I happened to be lucky enough to sit in on the planning meeting with the team (Jamie Geer, Mike Richter, George Stone and others). The "professor" had copious notes, detailed time line and definitive plan of action. Bet he has the same procedures for cooking all the time. Plus, he's a certified CHEF! The man knows more about all kinds of cooking than I ever will. I'd love to go to his class!

Comment

I believe scottranda attended a seminar of his, not the full blown class I don't think, but perhaps he has a little he can share of his impressions of Tuffy's demonstrations. I too say go and report back!

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            I did. He was great. Though it was for a stuffed pork tenderloin and it was pretty high level. Still cool.

GoFundme for RonB? Hey wait a minute..... COL Daub welcome sir. Huntington Beach welcomes you.

Comment

Signed up for the class today. Will post review after I attend in August. Class is just too close to pass up. I attended Myron Mixon's 3 day BBQ camp at his house 4 years ago. For 3 days it was $750 so I was a little concerned about a 1.5 day class being the same price and Tuffy does not allow any pictures or recordings.

Highly recommend Myron's BBQ Camp! He uses a very military style of teaching. I.e. first he does a demo of prepping the meat, building the fire, starting the cook, and then finally slicing / pulling and prepping the competition turn in box. After the demo, he then splits the group in to 3-4 member teams and you attempt to repeat what he just demoed for all 4 categories. Prep, cook, and then eat. The class also included a whole hog demo. Myron also allowed you to take pictures so I built an entire step by step picture book including his recipes. More to follow.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Dude! That is awesome. Welcome BTW!

• PaulstheRibList
              Editing a comment
              Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kmhfive
              kmhfive commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to the Pit!

Welcome COL Daub wish it was closer to me so I could attend. Report back.

Comment

If I were that close to any of the well know professionals I would be down for the $750.00 entry fee. And you know what I can't believe is that no one from around my area does classes, that I know of anyway. I would think there would be a different class every week during the summer from the Memphis area, go figure!

Comment

• Meatcraft BBQ
                Meatcraft BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Malcolm Reed and Mark Lambert do a class called "Barbecue Live" at least twice a year in the Memphis area. Heath Riles from Victory Lane also did a class last fall in the Memphis area.

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                If I can find out when the classes are I will go if I can get in before the class if full.

• Meatcraft BBQ
                Meatcraft BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                http://barbecuelive.com/ Looks like they are having one August 4-5th. They've also started including steak cooking as well

I would love to go to this. I have always wanted to meet Tuffy. He seems like a great guy. And I know he knows his stuff. The man is a true master of the culinary arts.

Comment

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed, I would love to meet the guy.

Dude, that is great! I would love to go. I took my apprentice, Sam, and went to the Business of BBQ School at 17st BBQ in Murphysboro, IL a couple of months ago. It was great! Tuffy has everyone's respect.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here