Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CIA Grilling and BBQ Boot Camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CIA Grilling and BBQ Boot Camp?

I dunno, man. $925. I know, things are getting ‘spensive. But that’s a chunk of change. OTOH, there isn’t a single piece of equipment I could buy for $925 that would be of greater benefit.

Myron Mixon's classes are $895. It looks like for Steven Raichlen's BBQ University you also need to book accommodation at the resort where it is held and from what I can tell that starts at $2998/night. I haven't been able find out how much the Texas A&M camps are but I'd imagine they are right up there so I don't think the CIA class cost is that far out of line and the CIA certainly has a great reputation.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      The high prices are so they don't have the likes of me there.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I was under the impression the A&M camps are a lottery invite, my nephews an alum and been trying to crack that nut for years.
      Then there is the cost thing.

The campus is beautiful and they educated my brother. They were just starting the grill/BBQ program when he graduated, so they’ve been doing that a while. The food safety stuff might be a revelation, but I suspect you can do most of the skills they’re teaching already.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m thinking the same. My issue on the deck is more about consistency, and that is really attentiveness.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s a 2 day class, hello. Buy a $23 subscription to the AR Pit and save the rest to buy a nice cooker. 👍

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman Yep, to a point. Reading text and watching videos are both good, but no substitute for hands-on. Thing is, I’ve learned by eating mistakes. Eating mistakes and paying attention, and then making a different mistake, etc. It would be nice to at least have those lessons validated.

I didn’t realize the Central Intelligence Agency was into food? Boy that’s really news to me

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep and all those foreign foods you have been cooking have put you on their watchlist. When you start posing Cuban sandwich recipes it's over for you.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      What is North Korean cuisine like?

Nope, Nah, Not yet, Not right now, I don’t think so, No Thanks, No thank you, No way, Absolutely not!

I hope I am not misunderstood.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; April 9, 2022, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      😆😆 But I still might do it. I’m retired now, and restless.

Everything one wants to know is available right here, somewhere, somehow, with somebody! Just ask or browse around or wait, it’ll come.

Comment

You know,when someone calls something a boot camp, it’s probably basic, like, ”this is a grill.” I’m not ready to teach classes, or go on the professional circuit, but I think I’d be wasting my money by attending a boot camp. I think I’ll hold out for something more intermediate.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here