Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Hog and Pork Butt Boot Camp - Mason Dixon BBQ Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Hog and Pork Butt Boot Camp - Mason Dixon BBQ Services

Went to Mason Dixon BBQ Services in Pennsylvania for their overnight Whole Hog and Pork Butt Class...

The class starts with a local butcher demonstrating how to debone a pork butt and the muscles running through the butt. Next one of the staff members goes over trimming the butt and prepping it for to cook, injections, rubs etc. Each student is then given a butt to prep to cook over night. After all of the butts are prepped they are put in a cooler for a while.

Next up is instructions and hands on prep of the whole hog. The hog is then placed on the cooker and everyone chills for a while.

Around midnight everyone chose the smoker they wanted to cook their butt on. Their was a wide selection to pick from; Big Green Eggs, Green Mountain Grills, Weber Kettle, WSM, Backwoods Smoker, 270 Smoker, Meadow Creek Pig Roasters. I chose a GMG since i have never used one before. Once the smokers were up to temp the butts were put on, some people went and got some sleep while others socialized. After a few hours the butts were pulled and wrapped.

The butts were removed from the smokers to rest and the hog was removed and all of the meat was pulled.

The class actually started with dinner and snacks was cooked throughout the night ending with a great breakfast while the butts were resting.

I also was able to talk to owner and some of the staff about my Meadow Creek PR and learned some new ways to optimize how to use it.

I enjoyed the class so much I will definitely be going back. Plus the store is very well stocked and has an ample selection of rubs and sauces for sale.

A few pics...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2325.JPEG
Views:	337
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	1051509

Name:	IMG_2327.JPEG
Views:	334
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1051508

Name:	IMG_2321.JPEG
Views:	340
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1051506

Name:	IMG_2322.JPEG
Views:	481
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1051503

Name:	IMG_2319.JPEG
Views:	340
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1051505

This is the smoker used for the hog...One of the students had ordered this cooker and was picking it up at the class so he offered it up to be used during the class...

Name:	IMG_2318.JPEG
Views:	336
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1051507
    I had to stock up on charcoal while there...200 lbs of Royal Oak Chef's Select

Name:	IMG_2328.JPEG
Views:	336
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1051510
    Attached Files

That sounds like a really fun experience.

Comment

No comment on That BIG Black PIG.
      But glad you posted, share more details.

Comment

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        They said they had never had one come out that black and the only thing they did different from normal was they used Duck Fat spray instead of oil on the skin. So maybe that made the skin get so dark...didn't affect the way the meat tasted though...

What were the steps involved in cooking the pig?

Comment

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        It was injected (swelled up like a tick), then the insides was covered in rub. The cavity was stuffed to help protect the rib and loin meat since they cook faster than the shoulders and hams. The cavity was sewed up and then the outside was sprayed with oil. Finally it went on the smoker...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here