Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dispatch #1 from our Rick Browne, embedded with OBR in Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dispatch #1 from our Rick Browne, embedded with OBR in Houston

We sent Rick Browne to Houston to work with OBR and report back. As you know, we donate 5% of all memberships to OBR and we are among their largest donors. His first dispatch:

arrived here at the airport and 2:30pm and immediately went to the OBR site, found Stan Hays and he gave me a tour

the parking lot is filled with huge piles of #10 cans of vegetables and fruit, huge stacks of bottled water, wood, propane and other fuels, an six huge smokers in the central area under tents, around the entire perimeter of the parking lot are about a dozen other barbecue pits, from all over the country, all cooking up pulled pork or chicken, or roast pork or turkey

the main group takes the pulled pork and loads it into plastic bags, which they put into igloo coolers and send out to various locations so the food can be given out, also today they packaged up over 500 meals (pork slice, green or baked beans, slice of bread and sealed the individual meals into small containers, these were shipped by an Apache helicopter to Beaumont (which is still underwater and without drinking water) and Lockport

earlier in the day a larger Chinook helicopter took loads of clothing, diapers, medical supplies, and other-non food items to several spots around Houston

The work was non-stop from the time I got there until 7:30pm when the last of the dinners were sent out, then they immediately began prepping 600+ pork butts for tomorrow, putting on rub and putting them into the rotating carousal smokers, they will pull the meat tomorrow early and get ready to send it out to dozens of locations around Houston

tomorrow I hope to get on one of the Chinooks to follow OBR food to these stranded cities, and get images of the food being dropped off

then on Wed I hope to go out to several locations and interview and get pics. of residents getting meals from OBR

In my 40+ years as a photojournalist covering major disasters (earthquakes, forest fires, riots, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.) I have never seen an organization so compassionate, caring and professional about getting food and supplies to those affected by the disaster

50,000 meals in one day!! by my count they’ve already passed out more than 100,000 meals since they arrived here, and there are many thousands more to come

will talk to you tomorrow and probably do another report like this. but right now I’m about to pass out from exhaustion so heading to bed

Wow! Just wow!

Comment

hey Rick Browen thanks for your dedication and commitment to help those who need a hand up. amazing people down there my prayers and thoughts are with you and Texans that are affected all over...Semper fi sir

Comment

That's awesome!

I ran a fundraiser on Facebook for OBR .... my friends donated $1000 in 10 hours! They are all really impressed by OBR, as am I .... any possibility we can get public access to Browne's reports so that we can share them far and wide on social media?

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome!

• Hi, my name is Joe
          Hi, my name is Joe commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats some awesome friends you got there!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          It was really awesome turnout when I asked my buddies to pony up something for OBR.

Wow that's great what OBR is doing. What a sobering and uplifting report, all in one.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanx for the report Meathead and Rick. Amazing stuff...

Comment

That's... Amazing!

Comment

Great work to OBR! Thanks for the detailed report.

Comment

Great work! Really nice to help out.

Comment

Wow! This is incredible. Thanks for the report.

I was in a tornado while in college, obviously it was nowhere near the scope of Harvey and I am not comparing the scope of the disaters. Our house was hit, indirectly, by an F2 tornado. We had no power, our garage was now two blocks away and our roof was all but gone. However, what I remember most was a volunteer from the American Red Cross coming to our house and offering me and my roommates meals, water or medical help. I will never forget what it felt like to be on the receiving end of such a gracious act of kindness. I can't imagine how the folks in Houston feel when a WARM meal of Pulled Pork, Chicken or Turkey from the OBR team is delivered to them.

It is great to see a small part of the BBQ world come together to help soooo many in need.

Comment

Meathead Thanks for the update. I hope you get a ride in that bird. I hope to get to work with the OBR folks one day.

Comment

Absolutely Huge RockOn to OBR and all the volunteers and donors making it happen!!!

Comment

Go OBR!

btw... what happened to the post from the guy claiming this was misinformation? Asking for a friend...

Comment

• Sephon
                          Sephon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nate, that made me laugh pretty hard. Thank you.

• Meathead
                          Meathead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          His complaint was that the text referred to Apaches but the pic was a Chinook. The text was not referring to the picture. Both were used. Blackhawks too. Not misinformation. I removed the post because it implied OBR was misinforming.

• Hi, my name is Joe
                          Hi, my name is Joe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm chuckling still...

Originally posted by Nate View Post
                        Go OBR!

btw... what happened to the post from the guy claiming this was misinformation? Asking for a friend...
                        It was a misplaced post, removed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here