Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to learn cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to learn cooker?

I am wanting to get a flame boss, but was wondering how long it takes to learn a different cooker. I would like to use it on a weber kettle and a pbc. What do you think, doable, or do I have to buy 2?

My thoughts are that you learn the general behavior of your cooker over about 10 cooks, but learning how to make top notch BBQ on it might take longer. Say 3-5 cooks of each food category (ribs, brisket, pulled pork, etc) to dial in the best way for that particular BBQ. And I don't think you ever stop learning. Just my opinion.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree .... and you never stop learning ..... cause every piece of meat, every piece of wood, every day's weather .... it's all different. BBQ is an art, and art is something you are always learning to do better.

Second time I read your post I realized that you were speaking specifically about the flame boss, but I don't think I would change my answer much.

Comment

I am wondering about the question like JCGrill. Are you asking about learning about the Flame Boss or a new BBQ? You mentioned you might buy two, so I am guessing you are familiar with your Weber and have bought a new unit. If it is the Flame Boss, I do not have one. However, when I bought my Fireboard thermo I learned certain things about the internal temps of my meats and the difference between it's temp and the units' mounted thermometers. I have found it invaluable for brisket, pork butt and ribeye roast. I have found that I don't use it for tri-tips or large cuts of steak that I smoke first. If you are referring to a new smoker, let us know what that the new one is - thinking it may be the PBC. If that is the case you can look at this thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...er-on-your-pbc

Comment

I'm beginning to think that the question is how long it takes for the Flame Boss to 'learn' a new cooker. I believe the answer is no time, it's just a PID control. Temperature input, and fan speed output. It will speed up and slow down to get the desired results. Essentially it never learns, it uses trial and error each time.

Comment

Yes, I mean the controller itself. I was under the impression that they "learn" a cooker. For example if it first overshoot on a small cooker by 40 degrees, it will back the fan down sooner to keep from overshooting.

My only experience with a PID controller was on a large oven, and it took over 6 hours to stop overshooting the set temp. This is why I was curious about switching different size cookers.

Comment

Ah, now the question is clear. Just like your oven, any PID controller that "learns" takes time. To a certain extent, it "rewrites the algorithm" based on actual performance. I don't have a FB, but I have used learning PID controllers and my experience is in line with yours that it takes about 4-6 hours to get maximum stability.

That said, with a grill, there are so many variables that the controller has to "keep learning". If you add a water pan to your kettle cook this time or use different wood chunks or the ambient temperature/wind direction/cloud cover/etc. changes, the controller has to adjust. It won't take as long on the second cook as it did on the first, but it will make adjustments.

So, if you switch from kettle to PBC to kettle, it may take more time than you want to adjust. Again, this is generally speaking…. I don't own a FB, so YMMV.

Comment

I really don't think there is a need to use a controller with a PBC, not to mention they are a bit of a pain to retro fit the the PBC.

Like others have said, it is important to learn your cooker before you use a controller. The controller will make things easier but it is important to learn the basics. Then when the controller acts up, it will be much easier to trouble shoot any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                I really don't think there is a need to use a controller with a PBC, not to mention they are a bit of a pain to retro fit the the PBC.

Like others have said, it is important to learn your cooker before you use a controller. The controller will make things easier but it is important to learn the basics. Then when the controller acts up, it will be much easier to trouble shoot any issues.
                What method do you use to maintain temp in the winter? I have found that I am having to crack the lid constantly, and the bottom vent really only makes things worse when not adjusted as directed.

Edit; I guess I really only read your first sentence. I probably only have 40 or 50 cooks on the pbc, but I have all but given up on anything other than fair weather cooks on it.
                Last edited by snowandsmoke; August 26, 2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Not to speak to the PBC part but changing cookers with a FlameBoss is no issue. Just set it what you want it to do and it does it. I move it to different cookers constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
                    Not to speak to the PBC part but changing cookers with a FlameBoss is no issue. Just set it what you want it to do and it does it. I move it to different cookers constantly.
                    That is exactly what I was looking for, someone who has swapped from smoker to smoker to smoker. Thanks

Comment

I just ordered a partyq and if that goes well, I will likely order a flame boss 300 for the house. We will see....

Comment

Originally posted by snowandsmoke View Post

What method do you use to maintain temp in the winter? I have found that I am having to crack the lid constantly, and the bottom vent really only makes things worse when not adjusted as directed.

Edit; I guess I really only read your first sentence. I probably only have 40 or 50 cooks on the pbc, but I have all but given up on anything other than fair weather cooks on it.
                        I cook through out the Minnesota winter with my PBC. I have done overnight cooks when it was -15 -20 F. And she purred right along. I even cook in snow and rain as well. If you are running too cool, adjust the bottom damper. You will get all of the oxygen you need there. Cracking the lid is a great way to boost temps, but it is meant to be a short term solution. IF you are consistently having trouble maintaining higher temps, the bottom needs to be adjusted. Another option is to buy a welding blanket and wrap that around the PBC for insulation. That makes a difference. I just never bother with it anymore. I bought one and it worked great, but now I just open the bottom damper a bit more during the winter months.

Comment

• snowandsmoke
                          snowandsmoke commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have had much different luck with mine. Mine stays steady as a rock, until I don't check on it for an hour. Kinda like an elk tag, see no elk but see monster deer. Maybe I just suck and need some help, I don't know. I can run a weber kettle in any weather, but not the pbc.

Ran the pbc with the partyq for about 4 hours this evening, and I am very impressed. I think I'm going to build a new charcoal basket for it. There is room for a lot of fuel down there if you can control the burn.Click image for larger version  Name:	20170902_152709.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	373376
                        Last edited by snowandsmoke; September 2, 2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I'm trying to understand the concept that the Flame Boss (or PartyQ or other PID) can "learn" the cooker. None of these are smart devices. The brains of the Flame Boss are basically the same brains in your kitchen oven.

Comment

• ecowper
                            ecowper commented
                            Editing a comment
                            kmhfive yep, I know how they work. This is not what I would call smart or learning.

• kmhfive
                            kmhfive commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ok. I dont know the details of these controllers, but there are some out there for pellet grills, like the one sold by Smoke Daddy.

• snowandsmoke
                            snowandsmoke commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Pid is reactive, so I wouldn't call it smart either. It does exactly match the definition of learning. It changes it's future behavior based on it's prior mistakes.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here