Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you... air fry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have started doing wings almost exclusively in the air fryer. I have a powerxl model with racks instead of a basket. My method is season, cook at 260 for 12 minutes, turn them over, 260 for another 12 minutes, sauce if I am making Buffalo wings or something, then go 290 for 5 minutes. If no sauce, I turn them one more time and go 290 for 5 minutes. They turn out pretty close to perfect, and much easier than setting up the Weber.

Comment

GrillGrates has air fryer grates in case we haven't gone far enough with our air fryers yet.

Comment

We use ours for many things but are experimenting with others. One thing my wife does each time we use it is to preheat the air fryer for a few minutes before adding anything to the basket. That seems to get foods jump started. We weren't doing that before and we can tell the difference. Good luck.

Comment

Salmon burgers from Publix came out great. Bout 25min at 375° on air-fry to cook temp 185°
          Stuck the kaiser rolls in last 5 minutes
          Attached Files

Comment

So we had "twice air fried" chicken tonight, no pics so mebee didn’t happen 😁
            Googled it and was instructed to get chicken to room temp (🤔) and air fry at 375° for 4 min a side to 165° internal. OK I’m game……8 min and they are at 100°…..bout 8 more min and they are at 165° 😁 Lost some moisture inside and crunchy outside, overall I would say very good for leftovers. (Wife now worships me for getting an air fryer and a smoker but me thinks that she’s punking me thinking " Cool, I don’t have to cook tonight")

Comment

I have a GE Advantium Trivection oven with a Speed Cook setting. I call it Jack Donaghy (30 Rock). It can function as a convection oven, a microwave oven, or a Speed Cook oven, which combines convection, microwave, and halogen light heat to cook things faster.

I've had it for years and have only ever used it as a microwave or for a convection oven, and for the Proof and Warm options. The Warm option BTW is perfect for cambroing, holding the temp steady at the 160-180° setting that I select for holding smoked meat.

I've never used the Speed Cook option. I'm thinking now that with it I may already have a built-in Air Fryer of sorts. Something to investigate. Jack Donaghy, here I come!

Kathryn

Comment

• Arsenlael
                Arsenlael commented
                Editing a comment
                I have one of those ovens as well. They are pretty great. I only use an air fryer to warm up leftovers for the crispy/speed factor.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Arsenlael , do you use the Speed Cook setting for anything special?

Kathryn

• Arsenlael
                Arsenlael commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes! I admit I was skeptical at first about it but I have successfully used it a number of times for casserole-type items like enchiladas, lasagna, even brownies. It’s amazing how much time it knocks off while still getting the yummy browned and crispy tops and edges.

So yesterday Amazon told me my Ninja SP301 would arrive today, so I went ahead and started getting ready. On Friday, I found this terrific tritip at the UF meat market that could easily pass for prime grade in my book (and look at that cheap price and weep, mail order folks!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-02-07 11.42.59.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	1172006

I hit it with a dry brine amount of salt and it went into the sous vide tank at 132 for 5 hours. I then ice shocked and put it in the fridge to wait.

The delivery was early enough this afternoon that I could get the new toy set up in time to use it for the triptip sear and to try my hand at air frying some sweet potatoes.

Ready to fry:

Name:	2022-02-08 17.37.42.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	1172007

Recipes online for air fried sweet potatoes vary widely on temperature, time and whether to soak in water first. I didn't soak and went with 425 for what turned out to be about 15 minutes or so. In retrospect, they probably needed to go longer. Not crisp (possibly also from crowding) but still incredibly tasty.

But oh my, the searing! I rinsed off the beef and hit it with Meatheads's Red Meat rub and then seared on the sear plate at 425 for what was probably 7 or 8 minutes, flipping every minute or minute and a half. I moved it to an oven that had been on "warm" to keep the fries warm and turned it off to let the meat warm just a bit more (temped at about 100 in the center after the searing) and to rest.

Sliced five minutes later.

Name:	2022-02-08 18.33.06.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	1172008

This was incredibly tender and the taste was out of this world with the rub. There's enough smoked salt in that stuff that you really can't tell by the taste that this never saw a wood flame.

Multiple device syndrome is real and can often pay off in wonderful new routes to amazing food.

But what do we call this cook? SVN (for Ninja)? SVS (sear)?

Comment

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                I need to go the the University meat store. It's only 2.5 hours from away and we frequently find ourselves out on long weekend drives.

• Jim White
                Jim White commented
                Editing a comment
                Bkhuna They are only open on Friday (9 am) and the really good stuff gets picked over in the first hour. They do bring some things out to restock later in the day, too. I did once email the director of the store and he held back a couple of briskets for me once. You might want to try that.

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                Jim White Thanks for the info.

My wife had been wanting air fryer for quite awhile so I bought her one for Christmas hoping that we would take of the air frying while I handle the outdoor BBQ. I even threw in an air fryer recipe book for inspiration. Almost two months have gone by and she still hasn't taken it out of the box! I may have to break down and use it myself.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                If you're like me, once you do you will love it!

Air fried Coconut shrimp and steamed Alaska King crab. Shrimp dipped in salt n pepper flour, egg dunked, then rolled in panko/coconut mix and air-fried at 400° for 18 minutes, came out great!
              Attached Files

Comment

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                forgot to mention, used sweet coconut 😀

My wife bought the Pampered Chef air fryer when it was on sale several months ago. I'm a believer. It really does make great crispy foods, especially frozen fries, nuggets, etc far better than the regular oven. My kids use it nearly daily.

Comment

The unprepared chef experiments in air fry.
                I wanted to try to make a sausage noobmcmuffin with egg. Didn’t have sausage and didn’t have english muffin so only cooked part of the puzzle. Had half a leftover baker and sliced it up ( I know what the heck does that have to do with the muffin’ plan? 😂). Scrambled two eggs but could only find one silicone dish so it was a fattie, one egg per dish would have been better 😁. Cooked on air fry at 400° for 20 minutes.
                Egg n taters came out good. Note to self: get some english muffins & sausage!
                Attached Files

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "The unprepared chef"

You need a youtube channel with this brand if you don't already have one.

Coincidence????

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 9.21.38 AM.png
Views:	210
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1199002

Comment

I might as well post this on this thread too. Air fryer "fish and chips" (the fish was actually poached on the stovetop in citrus). The potatoes were sweet white potatoes sprayed lightly with avocado oil and tossed in kosher salt. The sauce was dijon and hot sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vLcoyytNHWe7l8E7lEDYnC5KN7mRdYF1h-sETHfXliKl8_eKBGljf2yFODZk9MoqF2Snnfs-AUumi90SzmVhxVBBKXzoUrqMP11usUn7ayupoaPIFsKfVyYjN91lHNlS0q-YF1b-RUqZ7-cGRBLH8Kbcj-Z8UklgJMrT33aSAIaUsgGhQOZUbdtLWhKFvkcpTWWBdTjkSpmWvYp42Md69Cj1sqWV3f3lc5jIJ5tJuSrFyxYgUZfWTa0UTlGINoY Views:	2 Size:	411.5 KB ID:	1199031
                  Last edited by Attjack; March 31, 2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Fish and chips.

Name:	20220426_180346.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1212575

Comment

Amazon had a deal on one, I had a lot of points so I got it. Now I don’t know what to do with it. Maybe I’ll reheat some pizza for dinner?

Comment

• MBMorgan
                        MBMorgan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Best potato baker. Ever.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here