Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joule is Amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joule is Amazing

I have a Sous Vide Supreme, Anova, and a beta of the Joule. I have seen and used others. Coming in Sept for $299 Joule is by far the best I have used or seen (pre-order now for $205). Very fast, silent, magnetic bottom, small and easy to store, it runs with an app that has all the cooking times and safety info easy to access. Made by our friends at ChefSteps, I am pretty sure they will offer Pitmaster Club members a discount, but I c an't say if it will be better than $205.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

I can't own a FOURTH SV cooker. I cannot. Or I would get a Joule.

Comment

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      Famous last words.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Sell them on eBay

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I gave away my Nomiku original. Joule is amazing.

Glad you like yours. I have one on pre-order, but maybe the Pit discount is even better? Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I have one on pre-order for $205. The price when it is released will be $299, according to the CS site.

Kathryn

ETA: I see Meathead edited his first post to reflect these same numbers. I guess I'll keep the pre order in place rather than wait for an AR discount.
      Last edited by fzxdoc; July 27, 2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
        Koy Schoppe commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope you can cancel... it's 149 now on pre-order....

Kool I like the magnetic bottom part (and hopefully the discount!) I'm looking to get a 2nd device. (was even thinking about asking DWCowles if he wanted to sale his but new would be more fun lol) Meat and vegetables are cooked at wildly (for sous vide anyway) different temps such that you have to do one then heat up to do the other dont need a big container for the veg so a 6 QT will do! I use induction cook tops so the magnet will works great for me!

Comment

Hmmmm. Can you cancel your orders without letting on you are waiting for the POSSIBLE member discount? I am negotiating and I am planning a trip to Seattle to do some vids with them on sous vide to grill technique.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Can't wait for that.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Seattle? When?????? Any chance I can get my book signed, etc?

Small is much easier to hide (if you know what I mean)!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Uhhh that's a back up WiFi tower just in case all waves become inverted digital spectrums.....doohickey
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 27, 2016, 10:27 AM.

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Waves arms slowly in front of inspectors "These are not the Joules you are looking for..."

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
        I am planning a trip to Seattle to do some vids with them on sous vide to grill technique.
        Ok so as much as SV seems to / can be a divisive issue on here... maybe even more so than politics and religion pitting conservative cooks (dig a pit, shovel some burning wood in and, cook) vs the progressive cooks (SV and those trying to figure out how to apply Modernist Cuisine and Molecular Gastronomy to bbq) against each other and battle lines are being drawn... and the argument of "real bbq" is getting invoked... arguments of does SV belong in BBQ... etc... maybe some help is needed from the BBQ Whisperer.

As of now I tend to be somewhere slightly right of center on the issue (or more conservative side of it)... however I am open to eventually trying new techniques or finding ways to apply them to other forms of cooking. That being said I really don't know much more than squat about SV. Not to throw anything else on your plate right now but, I am hoping your trip eventually leads you to put a new article under the Techniques Tab on AR that is SV 101 for grilling and bbq enthusiast to answer some of our basic questions, put our minds to ease, and educate us on what is SV, hardware needed, what it entails, and how to go about it.

Things like:
        what all do I need to buy i.e. vac sealer, special water container, etc..
        can frozen meat be put into the bath
        how long can it sit in the tub before it is no longer safe
        when to season
        different techniques
        times it takes to get to temp
        tips and tricks
        and then what you would learn from your SV to Grill technique trip to Seattle

Since this doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon and it is already referenced in here and on AR free site multiple times, it would be nice to have some reliable info from a trusted source since I have found a really good all encompassing comprehensive source for good info about SV and how to for the everyday cook. I like to know a good deal about what I am getting into and how it works before I go and spend $200+ on cooking accessory... much like I spend a lot of time on AR researching cookers, grills, accessories, thermometers, etc...

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          low and slow is low and slow. I go lower and slower than you. ;-)

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack I rather do my low & slow in a fire pit not a water pit. And I'm not interested in going any lower than 225 ;-)

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          DWCowles It is not SV vs BBQ. It is SV WITH BBQ!

The fact that you HAVE to use your phone or tablet to use the Joule is a deal breaker for me.

Comment

From "exploring the hardware" section

The magnet is carefully crafted to be strong, but not too strong. And like all magnets, it feels like magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
            what all do I need to buy i.e. vac sealer, special water container, etc..
            can frozen meat be put into the bath
            how long can it sit in the tub before it is no longer safe
            when to season
            different techniques
            times it takes to get to temp
            tips and tricks
            and then what you would learn from your SV to Grill technique trip to Seattle
            You need:
            a way to heat the water to tepid temps and hold it there. For short cooks, a good beer cooler and hot tap water is sufficient. Or a closely monitored pot on a simmer burner. For longer or hotter cooks, you will want a device.
            You will also need some plastic bags. I use standard ziplocks for many things, but anything going 8+ hours gets vac sealed with the Food saver.
            You will also need something to hold your water. Some SV devices do that (Sous Vide Supreme being an example). Some can be used with a variety of containers. Doesn't need a lid, but a lid is helpful. I use a pair of cambro containers I have for other things, and saran wrap for the lid.

You can put frozen meat into the SV. If you start with a frozen steak, you will want to add half an hour or more to the cooking time. Larger cuts take longer to defrost, but again, not a problem.

When to season depends on what your ultimate goal is. SV is rarely the final step in cooking. It's the reverse part of the reverse sear.

Times it takes to get to temp can be found by googling Douglas Baldwin. Not everything should just go to temp, though. Short Ribs go anywhere from 8 to 72 hours, depending on the final result you want.

If you have a beer cooler and a zip lock, you have everything you need to do fish or steak. Kenji did a beer cooler SV hack that you can find with a very short google search.

Comment

I am informed that the Joule will list at $299 and that the pre-order price is $205. I doubt the member price will be less than $205. I will edit the post above to show this.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Meathead, What else does this Company Manufacture? I am not Familiar with Them at All! Thanks,
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Dang, I wish I didn't purchased the one I have

Comment

$229 now for pre order, not $205

Comment

• badf00d
                  badf00d commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Buying the pre-order gets you a lifetime ChefSteps membership though, which is normally $24 or so. Still out $229 to buy one, but getting the membership for free.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I already had the ChefSteps membership, so my cost for the actual Joule itself was $205. Once I signed in, the price went from $229 to $205. I got a Chef Steps membership on special ($12 a couple of months back when someone here posted the notice.).

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got a ChefSteps Membership for nothing... of course, I had already bought two or three courses, so I really paid the full price.

As of this moment, it's $249. I have an ANOVA immersion circulator. BF said on 12/23 that he HAD to have one for Christmas (saw it on Reddit). It was delivered on New Year's Eve (I'm a good girlfriend ) and we've been using it at least weekly. The one we have has NO bluetooth, NO wifi, you have to go look at it yourself. I have the app on my iPod touch but use that mainly for reference. Got BF a cambrio container and 2 lids - one lid I cut to accomodate the circulator.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here